• ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Whether you like him or not, Trump is ahead in the polls. In many of the most recent ones, and not by a little! RealClearPolitics - Election 2016 - 2016 Republican Presidential Nomination

I believe a good part of the reason he has such a lead is due to his remaining in the media forefront. I hate it but name recognition goes a LONG way in who gets elected, and he who is always in the news is more likely to be known by people than those who are not in the news.

I also believe there is a strong movement on the conservative side that desires to speak truth to power. When Trump says something inflammatory about immigration or Senator McCain or any other person or issue, folks like that. They are hearing what they want to say themselves being said by someone with a giant megaphone. That makes him popular with a certain group of people.

His problem will come when policies and more issues begin to be discussed. Its popular to mouth off about certain hot button issues, but in the end a candidate needs to appeal to a broad segment of America to get elected. I don't think Trump can/will do that. However, I could be wrong.

It is still way too early to consider anyone the front runner. The real candidates will be those standing after the first three (3) or four (4) primaries. Those will be the ones to watch!

Regards,

Doug

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    A third party candidacy can't hurt the Republicans unless idiots go and.....

...oh wait, yeah, I see it.

Totally unrelated- How's Senator Donnelly doing these days?

Cola76

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 4, 2013
    Jeffersonville, IN
    Whether you like him or not, Trump is ahead in the polls. In many of the most recent ones, and not by a little! RealClearPolitics - Election 2016 - 2016 Republican Presidential Nomination

The polls also show that 60% of Republicans won't even consider voting for him. The field is so (too) large that support is bound to be spread thin in the polling. As you said, it is unlikely that Trump will ever be able to provide much substance, so I doubt he will make it too far. The general election is all going to come down to Republicans coming out to vote even if their favorite candidate isn't the nominee.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The polls also show that 60% of Republicans won't even consider voting for him. The field is so (too) large that support is bound to be spread thin in the polling. As you said, it is unlikely that Trump will ever be able to provide much substance, so I doubt he will make it too far. The general election is all going to come down to Republicans coming out to vote even if their favorite candidate isn't the nominee.

It highlights a big problem with our system. I really hate the process for choosing a president. I'd rather do something like Single Transferable Vote, and not even have Parties run off at all. Each party can support candidates, and we'd just have one election.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    A third party candidacy can't hurt the Republicans unless idiots go and.....

...oh wait, yeah, I see it.

Totally unrelated- How's Senator Donnelly doing these days?

Yeah, Richard didn't need a third party. His own mouth did it.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    No worse than Lugar would have been doing.

True. Joe was a safe vote for Nancy then Harry. He would never vote to overturn an O veto. So, about the same as Dick who went on to run his institute and donate money to D candidates.

It's like he was actually Sen Palpatine from Star Wars. Even started to look like him...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Anyone who was going to vote for him and then decided not to because of what he said is what we call "intellectually challenged".

True. Mourdock's real problem was failing to stand up for himself, not the message that was so heavily advertised. If he was more like The Donald; no ****ing Donnelly...

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Rather than blaming the 100k or so that voted for the L party whatshisname, why not blame the people who voted Romney for president but likely voted for Donnelly for Senate? That number may not be insignificant. More Hoosiers voted for Donnelly than voted for Obama. And a whole bunch more Hoosiers voted for Romney than voted for Mourdock.

If every L party whatshisname voter would have voted for Mourdock, yes, Mourdock would have won by a pubic hair. But can you imagine the progressive atheist Libertarians actually voting for Mourdock? No. The L party still would have gotten their usual 1%. Even if the conservatarians who voted for Romney and voted for L party whatshisname would have voted for Mourdock, Donnelly would still have won.

Traditional Republicans, it's time to apply the butt cream and be rid of that rash. Just focus on getting rid of Jojo the union ho.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Anyone who was going to vote for him and then decided not to because of what he said is what we call "intellectually challenged".

I was thinking more of the crowd who MIGHT have voted for him didn't rather Than Those who were going to vote for him changing their minds. I have no access to poll data either way. I simply remember him during the debate and knowing what the headline was going to be.

Peter Potamus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    Indianapolis
    For now, Trump does more good for the Republican Party, and the eventual nominee, than harm. I don't think Trump has any real interest in the White House. He is using the media as his ***** right now and getting out a message that needs to be aired. All in all, he is good for our cause. Try to see the bigger picture and don't let the liberal media coverage shape your view of events.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Traditional Republicans, it's time to apply the butt cream and be rid of that rash. Just focus on getting rid of Jojo the union ho.

:nono::nono::nono: No way. We MUST not forget how and why we willing gave up a US Senate seat. A seat that may not come back to us for a long long time, if ever at all. Every voter (and non-voter) responsible for this needs to be reminded that it's their fault our state's senatorial votes always cancel each other out on anything even remotely controversial. We have made our state irrelevant in the Senate and that's a VERY big deal, well beyond "buthurt."

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    :nono::nono::nono: No way. We MUST not forget how and why we willing gave up a US Senate seat. A seat that may not come back to us for a long long time, if ever at all. Every voter (and non-voter) responsible for this needs to be reminded that it's their fault our state's senatorial votes always cancel each other out on anything even remotely controversial. We have made our state irrelevant in the Senate and that's a VERY big deal, well beyond "buthurt."

What is new about this? Lugar was nothing but a leftist with a RINO horn superglued on his face. I will say that Mourdock, gift for getting waylaid by the usual leftist traps notwithstanding, would have done much good for the state and the nation as opposed to Donnelly, but at least we are no worse off.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What is new about this? Lugar was nothing but a leftist with a RINO horn superglued on his face. I will say that Mourdock, gift for getting waylaid by the usual leftist traps notwithstanding, would have done much good for the state and the nation as opposed to Donnelly, but at least we are no worse off.

We fired Lugar for that behavior, then willing allowed a Dem in his seat. Those responsible for this need to be held accountable.
    One cannot possibly tell how many things would be different on a Federal level with locked in solid R votes and actions from Indiana. It could have even affected our limp Representatives' attitudes and actions. Who knows how they might have voted and acted knowing their constituents are not cowering PC weenies?

Top Bottom