Why don't people like a thumb safety on a pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cranduit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    I don't like having it because I've spent years not having one. You like having one because you've spent years having one.

If I wanted to train a safety into my manual of arms, I'd have to buy a new pistol and run it so much that I would never forget, god forbid, if I had to use it. If I want to run a Glock, or my preferences M&P or Walther P99, I don't have to think, I just do what I've done for years, because that's what I've put my time into training.

GlockZ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    A manual safety will get you killed in a defensive situation. That's why the police and myself as an individual choose glock. If you don't want the gun to fire don't touch the trigger. Simple as that!

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    A manual safety will get you killed in a defensive situation. That's why the police and myself as an individual choose glock. If you don't want the gun to fire don't touch the trigger. Simple as that!

I feel the need to rephrase my comment earlier because of the above...

While I'm not a fan of having a safety, I will engage my safety if I need to remove my firearm from the holster for anything other than protection otherwise the safety is always off.

I also have my safety engaged while holstering and removing the holster from my belt.

How many people carry a pocket pistol with out a safety?? Ask Plexico Burress about that Glock sliding down inside his pocket and panic grabbing it and hitting the trigger.

My rule is plain and simple....

In my holster safety off

Any kind of removal in any way other than a defensive situation (any kind in or out of the holster) and the safety is engaged.

Just an added layer of protection I like to have.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I think the idea is silly. if the gun is desgined to be "drop safe" why have an extra step that isn't needed, why have something you can accidentally engage if you clear a malfunction, why have something you have to remember to activate?

it works both ways Lots of XD guys choose XD over glock because of the grip safety, mainly I think because they felt then needed an extra safety as mot other semi-auto pistols had one, I have had several discussions with XD owners who thought it made their fun harder to negligently discharge, but as soon as they grip the gun the only thing that matters is where your trigger finger is.

also with grip Safetys especially like a 1911 its so hard to reliably activate. (InB4 I never had a problem) but in the last year I have owned 3 1911's I have put a total of 8 in to various new shooters hands, and some of the ones I own in die hard 1911 owners hands, as the beaver-tail shapes vary so widely its hard for some people to grip them in a way that engages the safety properly. Too me it adds complication, cost, and training woes that don't need to be there.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    How many people carry a pocket pistol with out a safety?? Ask Plexico Burress about that Glock sliding down inside his pocket and panic grabbing it and hitting the trigger.

LOL yeah, lets judge safety vs no safety (glocks have 3 btw) based on a friggin giants player... and PLEXICO for that matter... With that logic were all psycho pre-murderers for carrying in the first place.

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    My father has been a policeman for 30 years. He has duty carried everything from a S&W .357 revolver, to a S&W .45 auto, to Glock 22s. He has had a few situations where he has discharged his weapon, shooting out tires and such. But a couple of years ago, he was in his first situation where he almost had to kill someone. That day, he went home and sold his S&W 3913 auto home defense pistol and bought a Glock. He told me later that in the heat of the moment, he would not have remembered to take off a manual safety, had he not been carrying a Glock, without one. That is why I don't usually carry a handgun with a manual safety. I do own some, but they don't get carried anymore.

As for worrying about a discharge when re-holstering...NEVER use a soft throated holster!. Only use a holster with a reinforced (i.e. steel band) throat to prevent collapse. If you have to look and use your other hand to re-holster, then throw that holster away and buy a quality one that maintains its shape, even IWB.

NDhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    North Central IN
    If you practice, practice, practice to the level that is probably necessary, I'm not sure getting the safety disengaged is really an issue. Ask a firearms instructor who carries a 1911 or such, after thousands (or tens of thousands) of repetitions of disengaging the safety upon unholstering the weapon, it simply becomes second nature and is as much of a learned reflex as a planned action.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the benefit of a smooth single action trigger that is attainable with a good, ergonomic manual safety. Most would say a feather trigger isn't necessary and is likely a liability on a self defense weapon and I agree. Given the choice, for most a good single action trigger is easier to shoot well than a double action trigger.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    LOL yeah, lets judge safety vs no safety (glocks have 3 btw) based on a friggin giants player... and PLEXICO for that matter... With that logic were all psycho pre-murderers for carrying in the first place.

Don't spew that 3 safety :poop: to me, besides the infamous SAT that the illustrious Glock has, has been proven that there has been their fair amount of AD's out there.

If Glock's TAS was so darn good and reliable and since the patent on that safety has long since expired, why isn't everyone beating down the door and saying that they have incorporated it? Because it's not something to brag about unless you're Glock, after all they think it's perfection.

Even with following the 4 rules, a good manual safety has it's place.
    Should your safety be engaged while in your holster, NO, should you have a safety and have it engaged when out of your holster when not being used in a defensive posture, YES.

Why because we are human and there is the possibility that something could happen and the trigger can become engaged, hence a manual safety prevents that.

Can any firearm that does not have a true manual safety prevent that, no.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    if the gun is desgined to be "drop safe" why have an extra step that isn't needed, why have something you can accidentally engage if you clear a malfunction, why have something you have to remember to activate?

Let's ask Steve Malloy about that . . . oh, wait, we can't.

People don't like a manual safety because they have to train with it.

What I find funny, in a non-hipster ironic fashion, is the safe people who poo-poo manual safeties on pistols, all have them on their ARs and shotguns that they use for home defense.

Manual safeties are tH3 suck . . . unless they are not.:laugh: Ahhh, gun culture, the License to Chat about Handguns trumps actual schooling.:D

Why because we are human and there is the possibility that something could happen and the trigger can become engaged, hence a manual safety prevents that.

Don't worry, beerman, I've read on INGO that guns do not "just go off". There has to be a finger on a trigger because if not then soemthing like a faulty holster could set the gun offf, like with a Glock, but that could never happen, at least the Hipsters tell me.

Here is a hipster being ironic with his pistol:

Hipster-Kitty-Makarov-Open-Carry.jpg

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Don't spew that 3 safety :poop: to me, besides the infamous SAT that the illustrious Glock has, has been proven that there has been their fair amount of AD's out there.

Once again, dont confuse AD with ND... if you cant handle a firearm without a safety you shouldnt be near them. Period. A safety is a nice "accessory" but it shouldnt be a requirement. My safety is between my ears... however it is true that some are less fortunate in that department.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Let's ask Steve Malloy about that . . . oh, wait, we can't.

People don't like a manual safety because they have to train with it.

What I find funny, in a non-hipster ironic fashion, is the safe people who poo-poo manual safeties on pistols, all have them on their ARs and shotguns that they use for home defense.

Manual safeties are tH3 suck . . . unless they are not.:laugh: Ahhh, gun culture, the License to Chat about Handguns trumps actual schooling.:D

Don't worry, beerman, I've read on INGO that guns do not "just go off". There has to be a finger on a trigger because if not then soemthing like a faulty holster could set the gun offf, like with a Glock, but that could never happen, at least the Hipsters tell me.

I wish I could be a Jedi Master, then with the ultimate mind control that they have this would never be a problem.

That is until I'm focusing on something really important and something like this comes along.

boobetition
    fge6hjrs14.jpg

Once again, dont confuse AD with ND... if you cant handle a firearm without a safety you shouldnt be near them. Period. A safety is a nice "accessory" but it shouldnt be a requirement. My safety is between my ears... however it is true that some are less fortunate in that department.

I never have confused an AD with a ND.

If a firearm is out of the holster other than when to protect yourself or to use it, a manual safety helps prevent any AD/ND when engaged. It is the same principle of a long gun, a safety is there for a reason, the trigger is exposed, when a handgun is out of a holster and not being used it has a exposed trigger.

I own a firearm with a manual safety, when it is in my holster the safety is off, in the 3 CQC sessions that HandK gave that I attended, not once did my manual safety magically engage to where it would prevent me from firing. But I did see several times where there was people who wanted the safety on, fail to disengage it when pulling out or after it was out.

That is a reason I no longer carry with a safety on, but the second that I have decided it was time to remove it from my person, my manual safety was engaged, did not matter if it was in the holster or not, because it added another layer of prevention. This is something that a Glock can not provide.

Heck even an M&P had the grip safety on their models before they started making them with a manual safety. At least that requires a hand to be around the grip to disengage, unlike anything entering a Glock trigger guard being able to disengage and fire it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    OP asked why people don't like safeties.
    So people responded.
    He can use that info to decide for HIMSELF.
    I, and probably most people here, couldn't care less whether he does or doesn't.

cluznar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Why Not a Thumb Safety

I have a ruger SR9c for carry and I find it no problem to flip off the manual safety as I bring the gun out of the holster. I can have the Safety off easily before I am aiming.

On the other hand I have a Bersa Thunder .380 for carry also. When I carry it I keep a round in the chamber and decock it, then flip the Safety off and holster it. So the Safety is off in the holster and all I do is draw and fire.

You simply have to feel comfortable in using the weapon properly.

:ar15:

Classic Liberal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    I have an SR9C and don't care for the safety.

Safeties are for those not confident in their use of the 4 rules of firearm safety.

Condition 0 is my preferred method of carry.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    When i first bought a gun, i was all concerned about safeties. However as I got older and more comfortable carrying a gun. A safety on a gun is the last thing i want to fiddle with.
    I will admit, when I bought my first pocket gun i was a little nervous about carrying it the way I did. with the clip in the pocket. However. with a holster I feel fine. I rather there not be a safety. Just one more thing that could get snagged on my draw.

I am not worried about the safety causing some sort of mechanical failure. I suppose it really would be a concern the other way around. The safety could malfunction.

I actually had a conversation about gun safeties with a friend on the phone, (one friend who doesn't have guns) he wanted to know why guns still go bang with a bullet in the chamber and no mag in it.. I told him obviously there isn't a mag safety built into the gun. But honestly the less safeties on a gun the better..

Top Bottom