Why don't people like a thumb safety on a pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Only 1 safety you need..... that's your trigger finger. Keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot and you never have to worry about accidental discharge

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Good trigger discipline is all I need for a gun to be safe.
    It doesn't matter what type of gun it is, if it has a thumb safety or not, my ultimate safety will always be to keep my finger off the trigger until im ready to shoot.
    So for me a thumb safety is not needed, and since it's not needed I dont want it on my gun.

I completely agree with tbe OP. The DAO Glock trigger is much lighter than a revolver, and the only safety is basically to prevent the hammer from falling if the gun is dropped. When I have one in the chamber and the gun is in the holster I can keep the safety off, but if I want to set my gun on the table, I want the safety ON. Just because a gun has a safety doesn't mean you have to use it, so why not always have one? It is rediculous to complain about how an external safety will get in the way, when you don't have to ever turn it on. I'd always prefer the choice. I don't want to have to unload the gun every time I take a ****, I'd rather use the safety. The safety is no more likely to turn itself on than the trigger is to go off on its own, so keep your finger off it if gou don't like it. :)

That being said, the XD safeties are the best compromise IMO.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Only 1 safety you need..... that's your trigger finger. Keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot and you never have to worry about accidental discharge

Really?

I mean I mentioned Steve Malloy and everything?

Do I have post for guns discharging without fingers on triggers stories?

Do I really have to go to the Shootrite 870? Again?:laugh:

nfranke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Westport
    I agree with these guys, it all comes down to personal preference. I dont want to have and extra step when pulling the gun out of the holster

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    I'd rather have my gun have a higher chance of firing when it's not supposed to, than not firing when it is supposed to.

or to put it another way, no safeties for me.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    As a southpaw, I usually have trouble manipulating the safeties mounted on the left side of pistols. Even with the ambidextrous M9, I never got enough range time with it to be comfortable "sweeping" the safety off. With the Glock, I just ensure the pistol stays in the holster unless I need to draw it for use, and if I'm taking it out of the holster for any other reason, I remove the round from the chamber. And if I'm readying to shoot, I never never never put my finger on the trigger until I'm ready to discharge the weapon.

ssylvester

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    I wonder why every military weapon has a thumb or other external safety? I think that forgetting to disengage your safety in a life or death situation is natural selection. In my opinion a safety does not make me complacent with gun safety. For me it's natural, just a part of my draw and holster to engage and disengage my safety. It's on par with wearing a helmet on a bike or safety belt in your car. Of course your good enough so you don't need a helmet then you reflect on that after a wreck when you're paralyzed in a nursing home.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    It is a bit ironic that a safety on a rifle is considered mandatory, but on a pistol it's an option. I don't blaim people either way, but for myself I'm still really glad that my carry gun has a safety.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Most military rifles have safeties because.
    When going on patrol, your safety is off.
    When in a "safe zone" (ie chow hall), safety is on.
    When approaching an impending battle, you have time to take safety off.

Personal defense pistol.
    You have no idea when you will need it.
    There will be little or no warning.
    You will have no time to switch from "I'm picking out carpet color" mode to "He's trying to kill me" mode.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If you want a safety on a pistol
    Get one.

If you don't
    Don't get one.

WTF is everyone's problem, and why do you care if someone else has a safety.
    Worry about yourself.

ssylvester

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Most military rifles have safeties because.
    When going on patrol, your safety is off.
    When in a "safe zone" (ie chow hall), safety is on.
    When approaching an impending battle, you have time to take safety off.

Personal defense pistol.
    You have no idea when you will need it.
    There will be little or no warning.
    You will have no time to switch from "I'm picking out carpet color" mode to "He's trying to kill me" mode.

So you are more likely to engage an enemy in Menards flooring department than on an approach to an impending battle in Afghanistan? J/k I get what your saying, but thank god we live somewhere where we can even debate how we carry!!!!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Also.
    Pistols are carried in holsters.
    Rifles are not.
    And many pistols without a manual safety, have one in the trigger. Such as Glock, some S&Ws, some Rugers.
    So, if I've pulled my pistol from the holster, activated the trigger safety, then why do I need a manual safety.
    Do you have a safety on your automobiles gas pedal?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So you are more likely to engage an enemy in Menards flooring department than on an approach to an impending battle in Afghanistan? J/k I get what your saying, but thank god we live somewhere where we can even debate how we carry!!!!

Yes we have the freedom to debate.
    And the freedom to choose.
    You can choose manual safety, or not.
    No skin off my nose.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If your holster is that worn, it should be replaced.
    I know we aren't made of money, but people pay a LOT of money for a gun, then skimp on holster. If your magazine was failing, you'd replace or fix it.

I'm not ripping on anyone. Use a safety or not. Don't matter to me.

Agreed. But I could see myself fumbling to put the weapon back in the holster and doing something stupid like that—especially if I was in a tense situation with adrenalin hype me up. I am training with the thumb safety. But I may take IndyBeerMan's advice and start releasing the safety after the weapon is holstered.

Top Bottom