Why don't people like a thumb safety on a pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Wow, there is a lot of fail in this thread. My favorite is 'My safety is between my ears'. So, does that apply to seat belts as well? If you can magically avoid accidental discharges, can you do that with cars or other stuff as well? I hate hearing that from otherwise intelligent people.

If you cannot figure out how to use a safety, you don't practice enough. If you practice a huge amount, and still cannot figure out how to use a safety, you should probably not carry a gun. A safety is not a combination lock that needs thought about on the draw. it is a natural action that is second nature with practice.

Why is it that the very same people that say they don't need to have a safety because of their huge brains are also the same ones that say you cannot have a safety because in a stressful situation, you cannot trust yourself to think properly? I can't imagine why someone would choose a gun with a long trigger pull and no safety when they can have a gun with a beautiful trigger and safety as well.

But, that's just me. Fortunately, we can carry however we want, If a safety makes you happy, have at it. If you cannot figure the darn things out, then there are guns for people like you too. The OP can probably guess by now that the issue of a thumb safety is a pretty charged topic.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Wow, there is a lot of fail in this thread. My favorite is 'My safety is between my ears'. So, does that apply to seat belts as well? If you can magically avoid accidental discharges, can you do that with cars or other stuff as well? I hate hearing that from otherwise intelligent people.

If you cannot figure out how to use a safety, you don't practice enough. If you practice a huge amount, and still cannot figure out how to use a safety, you should probably not carry a gun. A safety is not a combination lock that needs thought about on the draw. it is a natural action that is second nature with practice.

Why is it that the very same people that say they don't need to have a safety because of their huge brains are also the same ones that say you cannot have a safety because in a stressful situation, you cannot trust yourself to think properly? I can't imagine why someone would choose a gun with a long trigger pull and no safety when they can have a gun with a beautiful trigger and safety as well.

But, that's just me. Fortunately, we can carry however we want, If a safety makes you happy, have at it. If you cannot figure the darn things out, then there are guns for people like you too. The OP can probably guess by now that the issue of a thumb safety is a pretty charged topic.

Some people prefer passive safeties for there to be one less thing to think about in a high stress situation. What is so wrong with that? :dunno:

Nobody here said anything about "huge brains", they said that the mind is the best safety. BIG difference. Safeties can, and have, failed, so trusting the safety too much is dangerous. (ie: ASSUMING that the gun is "safe" because the safety is on)

Carry how you are comfortable, but don't be so stuck on your method as being the only right one, that you insult other people's intelligent because they chose a different method than yours.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    ThisThreadSucks_B.jpg

mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    Some of us are just old fashioned and think we need a safety
    1911 for ever

Old fashion to me means revolvers. They don't have safeties. I bought an M&P 9C with safety cuz I got a great deal and everytime I used the safety I forgot it was on when I went to shoot it. I sold it.

mrp010

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Granger IN
    I prefer the safety. Practice with it a lot. It is a 1911 tho, some guns have awkard saftey locations that would make it an effort to go hot.

ssylvester

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Some people prefer passive safeties for there to be one less thing to think about in a high stress situation. What is so wrong with that? :dunno:

Nobody here said anything about "huge brains", they said that the mind is the best safety. BIG difference. Safeties can, and have, failed, so trusting the safety too much is dangerous. (ie: ASSUMING that the gun is "safe" because the safety is on)

Carry how you are comfortable, but don't be so stuck on your method as being the only right one, that you insult other people's intelligent because they chose a different method than yours.

Well passive safeties are still safeties like the xd but " the best safety is between my ears" comment I believe was in the context of I don't need to use my safety
    Because I am too smart to accidentally discharge my gun. And honestly if using a safety causes you to be complacent and throw all gun safety rules out the window you have no business handling firearms.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    If your holster is that worn, it should be replaced.
    I know we aren't made of money, but people pay a LOT of money for a gun, then skimp on holster. If your magazine was failing, you'd replace or fix it.

I'm not ripping on anyone. Use a safety or not. Don't matter to me.

not just the holster, I have stopped shooters while I was RO at matches because they had caught a big chunk of shirt in their trigger guard & were trying to push the gun into the holster...

awilson82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    I dont have a problem with a safety if it is located so that it can easily be manipulated during a draw. Some guns have the safety in an stupid location. That said my primary carry gun is Bersa BP9CC with no safety and a pretty light trigger. I never worry about an ND it lives in a nice holster and I have good trigger discipline. That said if it had a nice thumb safety like my FNP I wouldnt mind it. I wouldnt pocket carry a gun with no safety but many people do.

cluznar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Thumb Safety on a pistol

I like a manual safety myself, practice drawing and flipping it off and find no problems.

If you like a gun but it has a manual safety, buy it and leave the safety off.

It is not a big deal!

:tinfoil:

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    I like thumb safeties just fine.

My Ruger Vaquero has the longest thumb safety stroke I ever seen. You gotta pull that thing back over 1.5 inches before the gun will go bang. I remember to do it even when under stress.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I have a Beretta Nano without any safeties on it...I switched out the DAO spring with a 5 pound spring, so it is fairly light and easy to shoot, only when my finger is placed in the shooting position. So that is my safety.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I like thumb safeties just fine.

My Ruger Vaquero has the longest thumb safety stroke I ever seen. You gotta pull that thing back over 1.5 inches before the gun will go bang. I remember to do it even when under stress.

Not a flame, but... care to elaborate more on the above?

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    Not a flame, but... care to elaborate more on the above?

it is a single action revolver, he has to cock the hammer for each shot..
    and it takes no time & can be done under stress..
    ^ What he said. The hammer is also the thumb safety...

EDIT: darn it, he beat me to it. I was mostly making a joke about the old SA's.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom