• ...and so much more!
  • DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    My 1911s are 90% .45ACP. There is a combo 9mm/38 Super AllenM build in there and a couple 10mms for grins. If I want to burn up 9mm, I will run the Berettas or the CZ Scorpion. You have to appreciate the 1911 design and refinements to run it well. Most new shooters just want to hit paper, not their previous holes so a plastic brick is fine for them. When I want to shoot groups, I shoot my 1911s.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    *applies sunscreen before typing*

Not everyone. A few of us, like me, are agnostic to them. I've shot them, have relatives who carried them in service, and most definitely appreciate their history, but I am totally apathetic to the 1911. They've just never "done it" for me. No real good or bad reason why ... I'm just meh.

I do dig that they still have such a strong and widespread following. There aren't a ton of old guns that do.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    *applies sunscreen before typing*

Not everyone. A few of us, like me, are agnostic to them. I've shot them, have relatives who carried them in service, and most definitely appreciate their history, but I am totally apathetic to the 1911. They've just never "done it" for me. No real good or bad reason why ... I'm just meh.

I do dig that they still have such a strong and widespread following. There aren't a ton of old guns that do.
    We will pray for you my son…..

LOL

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I never owned a 1911 until I became a member here and seen Churchmouse's works of art (1911's). Now in 1 year approximately I have two. The Rock Island 10mm, and the Springfield Ronin 1911 45acp.
    I asked a lot of questions that were well answered by several 1911 owners, and enthusiasts on the forum :ingo: and made my decision to by the Ronin. It's a very nice firearm, accurate and the trigger is fantastic.
    I now carry the 10mm RIA more and more as I have gained confidence in its reliability.
    I still want a Ronin 10mm, a Bul Armory 1911 in 45acp and eventually a Dan Wesson 1911 in 10mm or 45acp.
    Oh how the list could go on and on...
    1911s get to be addictive

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Go
    First, whoever "hates" the 1911 is not worthy. :bash:

To expound on the OP, the 1911 and it's history and travel to today's 1911 is a colorful one. When I started shooting, the S&W Model 10 ruled the day. Quite simply, getting a typical off the shelf slabside to run reliably was a mixture of luck and gunsmithing degrees. It didn't help that Colt was the only go to manufacturer and we all know they had the tolerances of a two car garage in manufacturing.

Good friends like Jim Clark Sr, Jr and Ed Brown was hammering blued slides to fit Gold Cup frames that were brushed Nickel finished so that we could compete in NRA Bullseye and Combat courses alike. Competition takes credit for the refinements that we have today in manufacturing and improvements. That has peaked in my opinion.

Most of the early refinements were in reliability followed by cosmetics. We now have a solid dependable platform for the 1911 and if you stay with a reputable manufacturer and good steel the line up can be boring and flush. However, we now are going past a boring platform to cosmetic creations that sell through looks and gadgetry. For instance, to make things easier (cheaper) to produce 30 LPI checkering is a lost art. I think Les Baer is about the only one doing that any more. I love all my 30LPI guns and while the 25 and even 20 are functional, they just are not the same as 30LPI. When flattening/dressing the top of the slide, the cut should be made BEFORE the sight cuts for an engineered clean look rather than a dished out (cheaper) afterthought. Again, just my opinion.

Coned barrels kill several birds with one stone as they can add weight, strength and reduce manufacturing costs. (cheaper) It does however commit the slide and barrel limiting your options in take down, maintenance and any future refitting. The Cosmetic Queens have also, cut off the right end of the slide stop and carved out what was once a square shouldered reamed support hole for the most contact of steel bearing for this very important part. (Not Cheaper so hard for me to understand). Also, now a tool is required to break down your pistol.

The shoot ability of the 1911 is as good as it gets for me. The crisp trigger break, the point ability, the power, the dependability and the accuracy and control over continued accuracy for mega millions of rounds is second to none. Rugged sights, easily modified grip panels and the balance (non existent in plastic or LW striker guns) are the best it can be. The range of calibers is also broad in the steel framed 1911 however the 45 is the flagship and lets look why. JMB and our Government didn't set out to produce a small arm that scares or wounds the enemy. We set out to end the enemy. The 45/70 and .30.06 shared the same goal. No one wants their target to get back up. The marketing to the masses of the well know German born 9MM paved the way for plastic striker guns. (Cheaper) Again, the American .38 Super is more potent (but not cheaper). Now get NATO involved so we can find a way to kill our enemies in a kindler gentler way. The flood gates opened, the masses followed, the demand for 9mm brought the price down but at the same time thinned the availability of product in pandemic times as seen recently.

Now back to the 1911 and it's followers. Mastering the 1911 for the masses does take more work. More conscious thought. More interaction of manipulation. More marksmanship. More maintenance. This might be a reason as to why a simpler, less accurate, higher capacity, easier to use and cheaper to make tool may suit our new America. Not to mention a way to make a gun safer for the careless shooter. The safety issue is always brought up regarding a 1911. I know some 1911 wannabees that have to disable some 1911 safeties rather than learn how to shoot one. Heck, some have not learned how to rack one even. The fact is, if anyone has looked at the sear contact area of some striker fired pistols, they will see less square inch metal contact than a typical 1911 in some cases. not to mention that these guns are assembled (cheaper) and not manufactured like a 1911. Also, I am seeing a whole lot more of blown cases, ruptured chambers, destroyed guns, and firing out of battery in the last 10 years or so out of these plastic princesses. Remember, this is 9MM we are talking about, lord knows the danger in hotter calibers in these service pistols.

In review, there is no right or wrong in which one you may like. I have had a lot of fun shooting striker fired guns and I have burnt through a lot of 9MM. However, being a prisoner of my character, my guns need to have hammers and wood. Anything else, well, is just cheaper and compromising for me and in my opinion only.

As a footnote, word on the street is, you won't make heaven hating a 1911.

See you on the range

Trapper
    Good points made here.
    I will never come to understand the issues people have with the safeties. Try as I may I just do not get it save for what you stated in your post.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    5ye7in.jpg

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Thank heavens the world contains both propellers and jets. It's nice to burn holes in the sky. But it's also nice to have something you can fly on a single pair of underwear, that won't drop out from under you on a very slow approach.

Same deal with Les Pauls and Strats. It is nice to plug and play and kickass with nothing between you and your amp but a pair of Calvins. But sometimes it's also fun to play with a sh!tload of pedals. Like my 1911s, my Fenders will not achieve their best until they've been "attended to" just a bit with some aftermarkets and TLC.

Every platform has strengths and weaknesses, which must be allowed for and learned if you operate them.

Don't be the guy who says there is only one way.

Work to become the person who can outshoot the loudmouth guy at the range...using whatever kind of gun he says he hates.

Last edited:

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    First time I ever shot a hand gun was in the Marines...had plenty of time shooting rifles and shot guns, but not the hand gun. Those old and worn out 1911's we had to use did not leave the best impression on me, and I never really got into the 1911 after that.

I need to give it a second chance, and I have my eye on one I would like to contact my FFL guy about, and see if he could come up with it. It is a grand old gun.

way2good4u95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 5, 2018
    Plainfield
    A 1911 has been my carry gun since I got my LTCH at 18. It was my first gun and I've come to be used to the manual of arms. I respect newer designs but I have a preference for a thumb safety since that is what I'm used to. I can carry my Kimber Micro 9 (yes, it cycles my Winchester Ranger T-Series ammo flawlessly) with pinky extension in my pocket with the pocket holster. Nobody even knows I carry it, it's easy to access, and I feel protected from a negligent discharge. Only downside is ammo capacity being 8+1 in my pocket so I must make every shot count.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    A 1911 has been my carry gun since I got my LTCH at 18. It was my first gun and I've come to be used to the manual of arms. I respect newer designs but I have a preference for a thumb safety since that is what I'm used to. I can carry my Kimber Micro 9 (yes, it cycles my Winchester Ranger T-Series ammo flawlessly) with pinky extension in my pocket with the pocket holster. Nobody even knows I carry it, it's easy to access, and I feel protected from a negligent discharge. Only downside is ammo capacity being 8+1 in my pocket so I must make every shot count.
    And that sir is responsible lead distribution.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Nothing fits my hand like my 1911, and nothing has a better trigger except a revolver in single action mode. My commander sized Dan Wesson Guardian is my favorite handgun, and it does get carried, but not exclusively so.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I was a rifle person prior to moving to Indiana, it didnt take long to realize I had to learn how to shoot pistol since I had to drive at leas an hour to find a decent rifle range.
    I bought a Springfield loaded 1911 as the first handgun to learn with, not even sure why I chose 1911 over anything else but that is where the love affair began.

As a craftsman (at least in my own mind) and someone that cant leave things alone, the 1911 offers me challenges and the ability to be creative.
    That is what I love the most about the 1911, and of course they shoot amazing.
    What I dont care for is limited round capacity.
    It like the 2011 solution for that...

Tom Threetoes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Southwestern IN
    My first experience with a 1911 was in the service. I considered myself a decent pistol shot then but my time with a worn out service piece turned me off to the 1911. A few years later my new BIL, a FFL who had a nice collection of Colt pistols and a bullet trap in the basement of his shop changed my mind. He had a couple Colt AMUs and a few worked on commercial models that showed me what a nice one was capable of. Being a young guy with a family I didn't have the means to buy one then. Now 50 years later I'm finally gonna get me one. Probably a Springfield, I just can't decide which one.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My first handgun was a 1911. I don't remember even considering something else back then. It was a full size Springfield that, sadly was traded years later for a S&W 66. When I traded it, it had become just one of many 1911s I had but I still wish I had not sold it.

Top Bottom