• ...and so much more!
  • warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Love the 1911. I started carrying a 1911 Remington-Rand, only pistol dad had, running a trap line at 8 years old. Uncle Sam had me carrying a mismatched 1911 for about 5 years, then a 5" Colt for 10 years till I had a Colt Officers .45 ACP worked on by D&L that I carried for 20 years, got a Colt Rail Gun and had it worked on by Allen. Got an STI Perfect 10 carried for 3 years and Arthritis hit my hands, went back down the line, .45, 9mm, .32. I still love the 1911 platform a if SHTF I would live with pain and carry both my 10mm and .45 ACP guns and my .32 ACP Colt 1903 Hammerless.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I've never been without one since getting out of the Navy in 77.
    Nothing points as naturally for me.
    Takes time and practice, but so do all guns...
    Yeah. My brother has a GI type Springfield A1, and his is much "tighter" than the military 1911's I used. I have been thinking about the Tisas Standard 1911. It gets great reviews, and it is very close to the 1911 A1.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I've always loved 1911's since I first fired one a friend had when I was not long out of high school.
    In my life I've owned four, one was a Commander sized one.
    I still have a stainless Springfield Armory one I bought about 25-30 years ago.

I do prefer hammer fired all metal handguns as far as shooting goes.
    The only downside for me is for my purposes, the 1911 is too large and heavy to be an everyday carry pistol.

Sitcomdad83

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2021
    Indiana
    I love 1911s but I do think the culture overall has changed since the 1911 was created. People now (even some gun people) just want everything easy. I personally like the little extra studying and tinkering 1911s require.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I think he hit the nail on the head. The Oregon Kimbers were the best bang for the buck at that time. Once they were bought out and moved to NY, the skilled firmest went away and the focus was on production numbers to get guns out the door. The Oregon guns have a cult following and most will pay a premium for one.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My Kimbers were both on point for function but both needed money invested before they were carried. I sold one pretty quickly but the Compact Stainless II stayed around and was my beater 1911 for a number of years. That gun required an MSH, sights, grips, recoil package and the sorry excuse for the frame finish bead blasted off to get to trusted carry status. Way too much money spent on a supposed top shelf gun.

But, once I had finished it, it was a reliable fun gun to have.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I never had issues with my Kimbers but was just saying that they were not built to the price point they demanded for them. The same money spent on a Sig 1911 brought a metal MSH, front strap checkering, night sights, a more durable finish and G10 grips.

The Kimbers ran, but like the Colt 1911s I bought, I paid more for the name than the actual product should have cost.

Elcardo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    Ft.wayne
    I'm a 1911 newb.....I love shooting it, love the trigger ..blah,blah,blah ...same stuff everyone loves but......
    I see no reason to carry it , there's lighter ,higher capacity lower cost firearms that will last and are perfectly fine in accuracy at any distance that would be considered reasonable in a self defense situation
    To each their own though ...definitely understand the appeal of the 1911

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I'm a 1911 newb.....I love shooting it, love the trigger ..blah,blah,blah ...same stuff everyone loves but......
    I see no reason to carry it , there's lighter ,higher capacity lower cost firearms that will last and are perfectly fine in accuracy at any distance that would be considered reasonable in a self defense situation
    To each their own though ...definitely understand the appeal of the 1911
    To each there own, but hard to go wrong with a 1911, from duty use to edc. The right setup and you will hardly know its there.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I've handled a couple on occasion, but honestly I can't recall ever shooting one. I know I have never owned one. I've always liked how they look and how they feel in my hand, just never have pulled the trigger and spent the money for one. May have to remedy that one of these days soon

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I don’t know as a young man my Uncle Sam trained me on the .45 auto, and I carried one all over the world.
    Later he told me he thought a 9mm would be better and I objected and continued to use one of his old G.I. 45 autos.
    Then I stopped working for my Uncle and still carried a .45 made by COLT.
    Then came Glock 9/.40/45/.380 and my pistol life has not been the same since.
    However , if needed I would/could get a Colt out of safe secure storage and be happy as hell to have one and use it again.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Lead eye I tried to converse with you and got a message that your in box was full, anyway I can share here what I was writing you.

Nice post I too have one s 1915 that went from Colt to the Harpers Ferry Arsenal to Pershing’s troops at Ft. Bliss, then who knows were?
    I got it at the Indy 1500 a long time ago in the mid 90’s from an older gentleman who said HIS grandfather was an Army Officer, who carried it.
    95% condition, I will leave it to my son and Grandson.

Top Bottom