Why is it that just bad cops get all the attention???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    My point was that the cop was polite and courteous while he did his job and after seeing my driving record used his discretion and didn't ticket me. Not all officers would have been that cool. The fact is I broke a law, albeit not a violent crime, I still should have gotten a ticket.

There are two logical possibilities here.

If speed limits matter so much and speeding tickets work, then this officer endangered childrens' lives by not giving you a ticket when you broke the law.

If speed limits don't matter and speeding tickets don't work, then he pulled you over for no good reason and traffic enforcement is nothing but a farce.

Which is it?

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I'm sure the OP slowed his speed after the interaction. I'm sure many other drivers saw the traffic stop and thought "hmm they do patrol this area, I should slow down." School zone speed reductions are in place for a reason. The officer did his job and the OP felt he had a good experience. Nobody (but you) felt it was a huge hassle and awful experience. If you think a simple traffic stop that I'm sure lasted less than ten minutes is really that bad, then the picture I posted fits.
    Yup!!
    And a damn good reason too!
    The first Personal Injury accident that I worked was in a School Zone during speed reduction hours.
    An eight year old boy was struck and killed instantly by a person who was in a hurry to get home from work. :xmad:
    I helped the Funeral Home driver put the mangled body in the hearse.
    That set the tone for my School Zone stops for the next twenty three years.
    If someone didn't care about the lives of children.
    I didn't care if they were "inconvenienced" by a traffic stop.
    People can be as critical as they want, but I'll bet that someone is alive today because of those stops.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Also, the reason you don't see threads about this is because nobody cares.

Today a cashier didn't scream at me and call my mother a whore.

Today a fellow driver didn't ram his car into me and kill my children.

Today a police officer drove by me and didn't yank me out of the car by my hair, smash my face with his boot while pepper spraying me and electrocuting my testicles.

Should we give them all a medal for not being jerks?

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    There are two logical possibilities here.

If speed limits matter so much and speeding tickets work, then this officer endangered childrens' lives by not giving you a ticket when you broke the law.

If speed limits don't matter and speeding tickets don't work, then he pulled you over for no good reason and traffic enforcement is nothing but a farce.

Which is it?

What about option #3...

Speed limits matter and tickets AND warnings work, this officer decided to cut the guy a break and he will now slow down.

But that scenario doesn't really fit you, does it?

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    And to clarify, when I said that speeding tickets don't "work", I didn't mean that they don't cause responsible drivers to drive even slower. I meant that they don't keep irresponsible drivers from killing people. Kind of like how gun control does prevent law abiding citizens from carrying guns, but it doesn't prevent criminals from shooting people.

Hoosier9

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    And to clarify, when I said that speeding tickets don't "work", I didn't mean that they don't cause responsible drivers to drive even slower. I meant that they don't keep irresponsible drivers from killing people. Kind of like how gun control does prevent law abiding citizens from carrying guns, but it doesn't prevent criminals from shooting people.

Since speed limit laws and traffic enforcement don't work, perhaps all laws regarding speed should be abolished, and people should be able to drive as fast as they want through school zones. Does that work for you?

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Apples/oranges.
    You just don't get it! :rolleyes:

Sacrificing liberty on the altar of public safety. Sounds pretty similar to me.

Since speed limit laws and traffic enforcement don't work, perhaps all laws regarding speed should be abolished, and people should be able to drive as fast as they want through school zones. Does that work for you?

Why, yes. Yes it does. If only it was a crime to run over children, then it would never happen. Oh, wait...

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Well it's official, there is NO WAY to fight crime. We should stop trying and just plunge into anarchy. The things I read here...

Well maybe instead of criminalizing guns we should just adequately punish those who hurt people with them.

Oh wait, we're not talking about guns here, are we. The topics are so similar that I get confused.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Well maybe instead of criminalizing guns we should just adequately punish those who hurt people with them.

Oh wait, we're not talking about guns here, are we. The topics are so similar that I get confused.

Why should we punish them at all? We obviously can't stop crime with laws or deterrence.

Here's another thought: would it be a good idea for me to let somebody follow me around all day shooting at me with an AK47? I mean as long as they don't actually shoot me then there's no problem, right? Speeding through school zones is perfectly fine until a child dies. Is shooting at people perfectly fine until someone gets shot?

Last edited:

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Also, the reason you don't see threads about this is because nobody cares.

Today a cashier didn't scream at me and call my mother a whore.

Today a fellow driver didn't ram his car into me and kill my children.

Today a police officer drove by me and didn't yank me out of the car by my hair, smash my face with his boot while pepper spraying me and electrocuting my testicles.

Should we give them all a medal for not being jerks?

A cashier might not call your mother a whore but I doubt they would put themselves in harms way for you as a part of their job.
    By your logic we shouldn't be appreciative of veterans and soldiers because, well thats their job.... Right?

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    A cashier might not call your mother a whore but I doubt they would put themselves in harms way for you as a part of their job.
    By your logic we shouldn't be appreciative of veterans and soldiers because, well thats their job.... Right?

I didn't ask them to put their lives in harm's way. Especially not for the sake of collecting money from motorists. Comparing that to soldiers who step up to defend our liberty from those who would oppress us is laughable.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I didn't ask them to put their lives in harm's way.
    But we do it anyway. No one "asks" us. We do it because we chose to. No one asks us to run towards the gunfire. It is a calling, not just a job. If you have a problem with a law, take it up with those YOU elected to make them, not those of us whose job it is to enforce them.

Top Bottom