• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ltromann

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2022
    Santa Claus, IN
    This one might make a few people fussy, but it is what is is.

Why not adjustable gas blocks and tuning tips on AR's:

Adjustable gas blocks on DI AR's are unnecessary and just add another failure point on your gun. The only scenario where an adjustable might be good is with a competition gun. With adjustables, carbon build up can prevent you from adjusting your gas block therefore restricting how much gas is allowed through your system. It also adds more points where gasses can escape from which can lead to more issues. For example, if not enough gas gets back to the carrier, you could get failure to feed malfunctions or failure to eject. Which would tear up your gun and ammo.
    You would be better off getting a really solid steel gas block. And pair it with a good gas tube.
    Good gas block companies are:
    - Forward controls design (FCD)
    - BRT
    - Centurion
    - SLR
    - Sionics
    - Badger Ordnance
    - Modern Armory
    - SOLGW

Some good gas tubes:
    - Trajectory
    - BRT
    - Sionics
    - Centurion
    - SOLGW
    - Modern Armory
    - BCM
    - Lantac
    - V7 extreme environment

(I'm sure I may have missed a few, but these are good go-to's)

There's ways to properly tune your AR.
    Start off with getting a good gas block and tube, like one of the ones listed above. Then upgrade your buffer system. You can get a different recoil spring and a different weight buffer. Heavier buffer for more gassy guns. Lighter weight for less gassy. The Vltor A5 buffer system is a good option to get with a sprinco green spring. Upgrading to a sprinco spring is an improvement for carbine systems too. Another thing you can check is the gas key on your BCG. Make sure it's within tolerance (.1805 +/- .0008). Also make sure your gas rings are good on your bolt. The 3 bore on your BCG can mess with your gas system too. You should check your gas port on your barrel if you're able before installing a gas block. Gauge it to make sure it's an appropriate size hole for your desired use, and use the appropriate correlating parts.

Aluminum gas blocks are also not good. They expand when it heats up and the gas port can erode and leak gas which can cause malfunctions. They aren't durable and should not be used.

To sum it up. Use a standard gas block (not an aluminum gas block), in tolerance bcg, and adjust with your buffer system, (different weight buffers and different power sprinco springs).

First, are you sure it's undergassed?
    Make sure the GB is on correctly and tight against the barrel.
    Measure the gas port.
    Make sure your gas key on your BCG is a good fit to your gas tube and there's not too much leak.
    Make sure the gas key is tight on the bcg and that there's no obstructions from the end of the gas key into the bcg.
    Make sure your gas rings on your bolt are still good and there's enough resistance for your bolt to support your carrier.
    Make sure there's no blockages in your gas tube or its not kinked somewhere. Do this by pushing air through the tube and making sure it flows correctly.
    Verify the buffer and recoil spring you're using. Make sure it's not too heavy.
    If It is truly a tiny gas port, the only thing you really can do is start with a light weight buffer and spring. Or swap the barrel.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I (now) run an adjustable gas block on my match rifle, and yes the tube can choke off. Couple years ago I had my rifle stop running in a rapid string, I got an Alibi and the rifle stopped running a second time. Gas tube, now every fall (so it's fresh for next year) I R&R the gas tube & rings.
    I run an adjustable gas block, basically because I don't want the gas system siphoning off and pressure when trying g to get a 77 grainer to make the 600 yard trip.
    A 26 inch AR barrel with rifle (20 inch) leanth gas system is interesting to tune,lots mixing and matching of parts.
    What is your thoughts on "gapless" rings for your bolt??
    My match rifle....... IMG_0217.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I (now) run an adjustable gas block on my match rifle, and yes the tube can choke off. Couple years ago I had my rifle stop running in a rapid string, I got an Alibi and the rifle stopped running a second time. Gas tube, now every fall (so it's fresh for next year) I R&R the gas tube & rings.
    I run an adjustable gas block, basically because I don't want the gas system siphoning off and pressure when trying g to get a 77 grainer to make the 600 yard trip.
    A 26 inch AR barrel with rifle (20 inch) leanth gas system is interesting to tune,lots mixing and matching of parts.
    My match rifle....... View attachment 230680
    ^^^If Mosin Nagant made an AR-15^^^ :):

ltromann

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2022
    Santa Claus, IN
    My match rifle....... View attachment 230680
    A properly assembled AR with quality parts will not need to have parts changed as frequently as you're implying. It also won't have much, if hardly any gas leaks with quality gauged barrel and good tight gas blocks.
    I think the "gapless" rings might be unnecessary and could cause more aggressive wear patterns inside your carrier.
    Gas rings are wear items that need to be changed when they wear out. They're cheap and easy to do. So the gapless, to me, seem like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    A properly assembled AR with quality parts will not need to have parts changed as frequently as you're implying. It also won't have much, if hardly any gas leaks with quality gauged barrel and good tight gas blocks.
    I think the "gapless" rings might be unnecessary and could cause more aggressive wear patterns inside your carrier.
    Gas rings are wear items that need to be changed when they wear out. They're cheap and easy to do. So the gapless, to me, seem like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
    So you telling my match rifle, upper built by white oak armarment, including a Criterion barrel & national match bolt group, rock river arms lower and compilation machine butt stock....none of those are low end junk.
    But you knew that when you opened your mouth.
    How many times have you been to camp Atterbury to shoot an NRA tournament (with the top guys in the state)? Or shoot the NRA nationals?
    How many times have you been to camp perry to shoot the national matches?
    Or shot on a club level? Yea I know you know to much and don't want to show us up, right?
    Those of us that shoot competitive, use the best of the best , there in no "ahh good enough " our training is every Thursday we shoot an NRA 80 (across the course) and we (my self included) have seen quality parts fail in unexpected ways.
    Yes I change parts, early but gas tubes & rings are consumables in my opinion. It's cheap insurance to keep your rifle running.
    Explain your theory of gapless rings will cause wear patterns in the bolt. A) the bolt is heat treated and lapped smooth, the rings are softer then the bolt. Rings "wear in" to create a good seal. In all the big horsepower hemis I built one had to use gapless rings or after a couple runs, the supercharger would push the alcohol past the rings.
    But you knew that to, didn't you?
    You sir, are trying to prove your smarter then every one else.

ltromann

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2022
    Santa Claus, IN
    So you telling my match rifle, upper built by white oak armarment, including a Criterion barrel & national match bolt group, rock river arms lower and compilation machine butt stock....none of those are low end junk.
    But you knew that when you opened your mouth.
    How many times have you been to camp Atterbury to shoot an NRA tournament (with the top guys in the state)? Or shoot the NRA nationals?
    How many times have you been to camp perry to shoot the national matches?
    Or shot on a club level? Yea I know you know to much and don't want to show us up, right?
    Those of us that shoot competitive, use the best of the best , there in no "ahh good enough " our training is every Thursday we shoot an NRA 80 (across the course) and we (my self included) have seen quality parts fail in unexpected ways.
    Yes I change parts, early but gas tubes & rings are consumables in my opinion. It's cheap insurance to keep your rifle running.
    Explain your theory of gapless rings will cause wear patterns in the bolt. A) the bolt is heat treated and lapped smooth, the rings are softer then the bolt. Rings "wear in" to create a good seal. In all the big horsepower hemis I built one had to use gapless rings or after a couple runs, the supercharger would push the alcohol past the rings.
    But you knew that to, didn't you?
    You sir, are trying to prove your smarter then every one else.
    No, I'm not trying to prove I'm better than anyone. I wasn't being hostile. You are.

White oak has had a bit of QC issues and proved to not be the greatest.

Your best part is the Criterion Barrel. Those are nice.
    National match, meh.
    Rock River arms is pretty low on the scale, low-mid quality at best.

Your choices, except for the Criterion Barrel, are sub par. With proper parts, you can put thousands through your gun with no issues and not needing to replace a gas tube. The rings are designed that way for a reason. Gapless are unecessary and if they were good, more high end companies would have switched to them. But they don't, because they aren't.

I don't really care what kind of tournaments or competitions you've been to or shot at, it doesn't mean you know squat about quality.
    You're acting like a real Fudd.
    I don't go to those because I don't have the time to do so. I shoot often and I go to good classes and training when I can. But I don't see it necessary to go and compete.

I'm not the greatest shooter in the world and I never claimed to be. But I know ARs, I know quality parts, I know how to build them to spec and how to properly inspect the parts to make sure they meet specifications and will function well.
    A properly set up gun will not need an adjustable gas block and will not need gas tube changes every year. Even if you choose to use a suppressor. You can go thousands of rounds and you wouldn't have problems. These are guns, not trucks or cars. Parts wear out, it happens.
    I dont think competition specific guns are good.if you want to run comp with a gun, run it with a duty rated gun, something that's actually usable in the real world if necessary.
    People like you use it as a crutch to try and justify your mediocre pieced together parts. I'm willing to bet, you like cassette style triggers with anti walk pins too. (Which are not good either)

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    No, I'm not trying to prove I'm better than anyone. I wasn't being hostile. You are.

National match, meh.

Your choices, except for the Criterion Barrel, are sub par. With proper parts, you can put thousands through your gun with no issues and not needing to replace a gas tube. The rings are designed that way for a reason. Gapless are unecessary and if they were good, more high end companies would have switched to them. But they don't, because they aren't.

I don't really care what kind of tournaments or competitions you've been to or shot at, it doesn't mean you know squat about quality.
    I don't go to those because I don't have the time to do so. I shoot often and I go to good classes and training when I can. But I don't see it necessary to go and compete.

I'm not the greatest shooter in the world and I never claimed to be. But I know ARs, I know quality parts, I know how to build them to spec and how to properly inspect the parts to make sure they meet specifications and will function well.
    A properly set up gun will not need an adjustable gas block and will not need gas tube changes every year. Even if you choose to use a suppressor. You can go thousands of rounds and you wouldn't have problems. These are guns, not trucks or cars. Parts wear out, it happens.
    I dont think competition specific guns are good.if you want to run comp with a gun, run it with a duty rated gun, something that's actually usable in the real world if necessary.
    People like you use it as a crutch to try and justify your mediocre pieced together parts. I'm willing to bet, you like cassette style triggers with anti walk pins too. (Which are not good either)

Yes , your right LTROMMAN is a troll.

Please sir (and I say sir out of respect I was taught by christ) Please, SHUT UP & SIT DOWN!!!

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

National match, meh.

What about this AR? Is it quality or junk?

Attachments

• 20221012_143716.jpg
      20221012_143716.jpg
      1.4 MB · Views: 45
    • 20221012_143749.jpg
      20221012_143749.jpg
      984.5 KB · Views: 45

ltromann

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2022
    Santa Claus, IN
    What about this AR? Is it quality or junk?
    Y'all are mistaking my intentions and getting defensive.
    And that BCM looks solid. It could use some attachments, optic and a sling at least, maybe flip ups and a light if you want it for defensive use. I use the surefire warcomp too. It works well. The only gripes I've got about BCM is sometimes they're a bit gassy and don't shoot quite as tight as some others. And I wish the lowers were m16 cut. But that being said, they're shooters. And decent guns.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    And that BCM looks solid. It could use some attachments, optic and a sling at least, maybe flip ups and a light if you want it for defensive use. I use the surefire warcomp too. It works well. The only gripes I've got about BCM is sometimes they're a bit gassy and don't shoot quite as tight as some others. And I wish the lowers were m16 cut. But that being said, they're shooters. And decent guns.
    Whose defensive? Not me.
    You seem to be knowledgeable about AR's, thats why I aaked for your opinions.
    What about AR's in 7.62x51?
    Is this a fair rifle to buy?

Attachments

• IMG_0459.jpg
      IMG_0459.jpg
      283.4 KB · Views: 17

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

That one is brand new, it was out of the box 5 min when that pic was taken.

Top Bottom