• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I run a 10 Oz buffer in my ar10 6mm creedmoor. Coupled with an adjustable gas block, there is almost zero recoil. Works pretty well.

Just curious, since you seem to know a good amount, what are your qualifications?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I do not agree with tuning a rifle with a buffer. That's missing the point of the buffer entirely.

Buffers are anti-bounce devices, really only necessary for full automatic fire, and in some cases, improving feeding characteristics. They are not intended to mess with felt recoil. That's a fast way to end up with a basket case of a gun, suffering from a lot of issues that will make you scratch your head.

There's known buffer weights for specific barrel lengths, profiles, and gas systems. Use the established standard for that configuration. If it's not good enough, something else is wrong.

If you have an excessively gassed rifle, there are gas tubes with reduced port sizes available, to pull the rifle back into spec.

Springs and spring rates have been a sorted out science in the AR15 for decades. I'm pretty sure the guys who designed and improved the platform know far better what it needs to use than some company trying to get a buck out of you.
    Yep, just think about the volume of rounds that have been shot through all the M16's in basic training with all Branches of The Armed Services. Its mind boggleing what a plain jane service rifle can take just as it left the factory.
    I can imagine humping a service rifle with all the garage that so many people hang on that platform.
    Eugene knew what he was doing.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I appreciate the actual discussion.
    I haven't actually used the silent capture system myself.
    JP makes some good stuff and I like other components by them.
    But I know people that do use it and people seem to like it. To be honest it was never a system that interested me all that much. I enjoy the Vltor A5 System and an A5 buffer with a sprinco green spring goes in all my ARs.
    I have 2 or 3 JP silent springs, one with an adjustable gas block. Can be a very soft, quiet shooter. Can also be unreliable. Just open the gas block though and it's good to go.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I run a 10 Oz buffer in my ar10 6mm creedmoor. Coupled with an adjustable gas block, there is almost zero recoil. Works pretty well.

Just curious, since you seem to know a good amount, what are your qualifications?

What made you pick 6mm creedmoor over 6.5 or 7.62x51

ltromann

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2022
    Santa Claus, IN

I know less about the AR-10 platform but am learning every day. I've got no official qualifications or documents saying that I was taught x,y,z. I'm a hobbiest. Ive read through the technical manual and the TDP and use them, and the proper specs when assembling. It's a subject that highly interests me. I've been a jet mechanic for awhile now in the military and civilian now. I'm used to having to follow specifications and detailed paperwork.

I'm not claiming to be a professional, I'm just using my experiences and others experiences that I know. I'm always seeking to learn more.

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Coyote hunting at night. With thermal, judging distance is pretty difficult. 55 grain going at almost 4200 fps makes for a pretty flat shooting round out to 400 yards.

My day gun is 6.5.
    Im a bit quieter, 221 Fireball with 36 grn Barnes Grenades or 40 grain Blizkings.
    If I need a bit more 40 Blizkings in a 1-12" 223.
    Very good, thanks.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    IR Hunter MK3 60mm. Native magnification is 4.5x. With a 640 core, I can zoom to 18x and still have a pretty clear picture. My longest kill is 650 yards. I don't typically take that long of a shot, but it was a long, unproductive night and that coyote sat there for a few minutes (pretty sure he was making fun of me) before I took the shot.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I'm shooting suppressed, so it's pretty quiet. How flat is the 221 fireball?
    With a 40 grainer im pretty darn flat to 200 yds.
    Ive busted easily out to 350 with that rifle..
    200 and under I use a 19 caliber a 30 carbine case necked down.
    It will carry about 90% of what 223 can do.
    What rifle depends on where on my neighbors or my place im shooting.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I'm not a fan of Rock River. They're lower quality mid at best. Not as bad as like PSA, Anderson, Delton, Ruger, etc.
    I'm not a fan of your inconsiderate and considerable opinions. Both RRA rifles I've owned have functioned flawlessly and were/are consistent .75" rifles at 100 yds. Probably better with a better shooter. Fit and finish are quite good and better than one actually needs with a black LEGO rifle.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    . I've been a jet mechanic for awhile now in the military and through boeing now.
    That explains a lot, no offense. Your attention to detail and adherence to standards and procedures is probably at the top of the charts, for better or worse.
    It’d make a good introductory point, and help us understand where you’re coming from. Hope you care enough after the shiny is obtained to stick around.

I’ve always thought A&P guys were ‘special’. I can say that, my dad was one.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I'm not a fan of your inconsiderate and considerable opinions. Both RRA rifles I've owned have functioned flawlessly and were/are consistent .75" rifles at 100 yds. Probably better with a better shooter. Fit and finish are quite good and better than one actually needs with a black LEGO rifle.
    We have a few RR's, two High Power rifles and I believe two or three of what uses to be called Government Models. All have been flawless since new.
    Thats why I had a bit of fun with him.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    A jet mechanic, who won't spend $20 to become a site supporter just so he can message a guy about a M9A3 in the classifieds, instead regurgitates the same AR info found on almost any gun forum so he can get to 50 posts. :dunno:

Damn, I thought I was a cheapa$$. This guy redefines the word. I better up my game....:)

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    IR Hunter MK3 60mm. Native magnification is 4.5x. With a 640 core, I can zoom to 18x and still have a pretty clear picture. My longest kill is 650 yards. I don't typically take that long of a shot, but it was a long, unproductive night and that coyote sat there for a few minutes (pretty sure he was making fun of me) before I took the shot.
    With a base of 4.5x I would think running shots at less than 100 yards would be tough.
    Maybe it’s a completely different style/technique of hunting. Seems most I see are runners.

Top Bottom