• Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    where did he say this?

When the "Hastert Rule" was brought up, that no "gun control" legislation would be brought to the floor without a majority of the GOP caucus supporting it, rather than agree, he said he always tried to pass legislation that a majority of his caucus supported. While that difference is miniscule amongst the majority of the population, in Washington, he might as well have told them all to pound sand.

Blessings,
    Bill

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Is there a reason why folks would think the NRA would not reduce the "bad" senator's ratings?

I personally think the NRA is going to wait a while to see how this all plays out before adjusting the ratings. But hey, I am just Joe Average out here trying to make some sense of this insanity.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    When the "Hastert Rule" was brought up, that no "gun control" legislation would be brought to the floor without a majority of the GOP caucus supporting it, rather than agree, he said he always tried to pass legislation that a majority of his caucus supported. While that difference is miniscule amongst the majority of the population, in Washington, he might as well have told them all to pound sand.

Blessings,
    Bill

is there an actual transcript where he said this?

Terry Barker

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    Central Indiana
    On Thursday, in the midst of ongoing national debate over prospective gun control and comprehensive immigration legislation, House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) said that he didn’t need the approval of a majority of his own party to move forward with legislation. Referring to the so-called Hastert Rule, named after former House Speaker Denny Hastert (R-IL), which dictated that House leadership not bring up any bill for a vote without the support of a majority of the majority party, Boehner said, “Listen: It was never a rule to begin with.”
    Then, realizing the gravity of admitting that he could move without a majority of his own party, Boehner added, “And certainly my prerogative – my intention is to always pass bills with strong Republican support.”

He has went thru with legislation without a majority of his party 5 times since becoming speaker.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Just a thought, but I feel like folks are a little too confident. Nothing gets done. Another shooting. And the media and democrats will pile it onto those who voted against the crap they're pushing right now. Next thing we know the left picks up a bunch of seats and then we're really screwed.

they're going to do this anyway. obama's boytoy and the rest of his bootlickers at msnbc have already tried to blame the tea party for every high profile shooting in recent years. it didn't work then and it won't work now. they get a little bit of momentum nationally immediately following a high profile shooting then all the johnny-come-latelies to the gun issue will move onto another issue. the democrats get nothing and like it. i'm not wiling to give them one inch. they'll whine and cry regardless.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    On Thursday, in the midst of ongoing national debate over prospective gun control and comprehensive immigration legislation, House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) said that he didn’t need the approval of a majority of his own party to move forward with legislation. Referring to the so-called Hastert Rule, named after former House Speaker Denny Hastert (R-IL), which dictated that House leadership not bring up any bill for a vote without the support of a majority of the majority party, Boehner said, “Listen: It was never a rule to begin with.”
    Then, realizing the gravity of admitting that he could move without a majority of his own party, Boehner added, “And certainly my prerogative – my intention is to always pass bills with strong Republican support.”

He has went thru with legislation without a majority of his party 5 times since becoming speaker.

why would there be gravity to admitting he could move without a majority if he's done it 5 times already?

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Well as much debate there was here about where Dan Coats stood, I would imagine there are many having that conversation. The 16 republicans voted to close debate. Nothing more. It's not gloom and doom. The bill itself can still be filibustered. How do we know the ones who were FOR the filibuster were not supportive of the 16? We end debate, vote, it fails, its over. I will not get worked up over a procedural cloture vote.

I'll remember you said that when universal background checks makes its way through the Senate or some other anti-gun law, no matter how watered down.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I heard Chuck Todd on the Today Show this morning say there was still no way that the gun control package was going anywhere...

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Now we can have a vote on a bill (DOA in the house) in the senate and see these senators put their money where their mouth is. This bill is a nightmare for Harry Reed and the democrats and that is why they voted for it.

It will FORCE democrats in red states to take a position on record.

The last thing Reed wants to do is bring a go nowhere bill to the floor and make risky seats go on record.

Destro was RIGHT ON THE MONEY.

This is a bad SHOT DOWN IN FLAMES DEBACLE for Obama and the Dems.

Let's not stop fighting however. But let's not be too tin hat conspiracy afraid to enjoy this WIN.

If you told me that we would win THIS BIG the day after Sandy Hook, I would have said no way.

Now you nitwits. STOP PANIC BUYING CRAP, stop lining up at Wall mart like its the fracking soup line!

If a Filibuster had killed it, it would have looked bad on the RePubs.

But now that is came to full debate and amendments, the last hope compromise got shot down yesterday, a poison pill got thrown on today. And now Reid has to quietly shelve it.

This makes the Dem screwup all the more complete.

Terry Barker

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Never been a sky is falling or panic buyer kind of guy....but don't think this is over either. Remember Obama saying if congress won't act on things he will? Well here we go again.......

Obama to Revamp Background Checks
    by ELIZABETH SHELD 19 Apr 2013 193 POST A COMMENT
    SHARE THIS:
    After being blocked by Congress, Obama is now using his own power to make changes to the background check system for firearms purchases.
    The Obama administration was starting a process Friday aimed at removing barriers in health privacy laws that prevent some states from reporting information to the background check system.
    Although federal law prohibits the sale of firearms to people who are mentally ill, "A federal review last year found 17 states contributed fewer than 10 mental health records to the database, meaning many deemed by a judge to be a danger still could have access to guns."
    In particular, HIPPA provisions limit the transmission of people's healthcare records only to police or a court in certain circumstances. "Obama is interested in a change that would specifically allow disclosure of mental health records for the system, and he wants to increase financial incentives for states to contribute the information."
    The background check system was established in the 1993 Brady Bill.

My question is when will our elected officials stop him from defacto ignoring laws or rewriting them to suit his agenda?

Top Bottom