Wife gave me $600 to spend on myself, what should I use it for?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    If she and the in-laws gave you money for something specific, I would get the item they gave you the money for. If they gave it to you to "do whatever you want with", then I'd say you're good to entertain other thoughts. Just my opinion. If I gave someone money for something specific, I'd expect them to use it for that item.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If she and the in-laws gave you money for something specific, I would get the item they gave you the money for. If they gave it to you to "do whatever you want with", then I'd say you're good to entertain other thoughts. Just my opinion. If I gave someone money for something specific, I'd expect them to use it for that item.
    This is on my mind. If the wife (back in the early days, after 35 years things are different) had given me money to buy A and I didn’t buy A, she would’ve been ticked. If I ever looked at A, talked about it again, It would have been a SHTF event.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    For one to hesitate and seek advice of others prior to purchase of what they previously so strongly desired could indicate they should set on the money and see where their desires lead them in time. If you don't purchase today, there is always tomorrow. If you do purchase today, tomorrow will come with less option.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    For one to hesitate and seek advice of others prior to purchase of what they previously so strongly desired could indicate they should set on the money and see where their desires lead them in time. If you don't purchase today, there is always tomorrow. If you do purchase today, tomorrow will still come; but you'll have less option.

And wake up to the dreaded "Out of stock" banner....:):

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My $0.02...

If you will USE the shotgun, then an inexpensive used pump and several boxes of ammo. Use the rest for a training class or two. Something indoors you can take pretty soon, and something outdoors you can enjoy come spring.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Reliable .22 rifle is always a good choice. Cheap marksmanship training!

This is where I would most likely spend it, but I’ve been on a rimfire kick lately. Never hurts to have a nice .22 rifle or pistol or both around.

If you are doubting your desire for this firearm and are thinking you may want something else, talk to your wife before making the purchase. If she went through the effort to do this for you, odds are she rather you buy something different that you’d rather have than to buy the original item and regret it down the line.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Yep, thinking this. Not that you can't change your mind for a legit reason, that you articulate well, but if you do, then as Expat says:

This is on my mind. If the wife (back in the early days, after 35 years things are different) had given me money to buy A and I didn’t buy A, she would’ve been ticked. If I ever looked at A, talked about it again, It would have been a SHTF event.

Don't mention any remorse of talk about that item again...

All that said, I'm not sure on that gun, but is that a great price and might that gun not be there soon for that price? If so, and you want it pull the trigger. If you expect it to be in stock, at that price for a bit, then take a breath, look around, and make a decision, but again, if you opt for something else, follow the wise words of Expat above.

On the note of the money and what to do with it, sounds like making a purchase of that size has you thinking, which it should, but if you are not the kind of person who would drop that kind of money on yourself normally and everything is in order, then get the gun you want. Let it be the gift they intended and enjoy it. That's what a gift is. Something you wanted, but may never really buy yourself. I would have the exact same conundrum as you given the situation, which is why I never put myself in the situation of getting such a large gift. (Yeah, I know sounds bad, but it is who I am, and my wife knows it, so she doesn't really buy me gifts of that nature anymore. I'd rather seek it out myself and buy it than have someone "give it to me".)

Other items people have mentioned in this thread are more practical and cost less, but then if you are like me, you may just buy them when the time is right yourself, and a bit of extra money presents itself. Otherwise, get the gift they intended, and enjoy it.

Last edited:

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I'd say go with the 12 gauge. Nothing else on your list is really all that practical, and most seems redundant. A decent 12 gauge can have multiple applications.

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Should have known there would be one haha...any gun related suggestions? :ugh:

So I suppose that Gun Toting Hookers is also out? I'd take the wife out for a great dinner, then a movie. Tell her how much you enjoy spending time with her and that you should try and have a date night more often.

Then when she gives you a $1000. really whet your gun appetite.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I have been where you are at before. In that I have wanted a particular gun so bad I could not stand it, then time passes and I eventually get the $$ for it, and I realize it no longer appeals to me as much.:dunno:

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana

Yep!

Salty

Unwokeable
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Looking at your inventory, I don't see any revolvers. If you get a 22 rifle, maybe get a 22 revolver too. They are fun for plinking. Or forget 22 and get a 357 revolver and practice using 38 special. Just throwing out some ideas. The warnings above about using the money for what it was given are valid.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    WELLLLL....
    [video=youtube;R8OWNspU_yE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE[/video]
    Quite a bit of advice has already been given. That pistol deal is nice and lot of people that care have antied up. I selfishly say you need a .22 rifle, but that is because I'm selling one. The ammo is on the low side. No, really it's on the low side. Honestly, They wanted you to have your' dream.

Top Bottom