• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Wife and I traveled all the 48 states by Motorcycle. The country has some amazing things to see and not all of it is mountains and wilderness. The cities can be beautiful in their own way.

Yes a lot of our trips we didn't carry(because we couldn't legally) and didn't have any problems.
    In all our travels the only time/place I wished I was carrying was Bourbon Street on a weekend. Saw several fights and lots of drunk and high people getting rowdy. We knew what we were getting into though and just stayed out of the way. It was interesting that the cab driver that took us there told us to NOT walk past a certain point(a rough part of town says the guy that lives there) and call a cab when ready to leave.

We traveled to a small(100 bikes) motorcycle rally that was held in a different part of the country every year and got to meet some people from all over this country and country's including Europe and Germany.

We met a guy from NY city that has lived there his whole life. He doesn't own a car and has the bike for weekend trips out of the city to unwind. Lives in a small condo that has a parking garage and he says it doesn't cost him anything to park the bike because he can put it in a spot with a support pillar and a car won't fit there anyway. He has 3 grocery stores on his block(a Krogers, a small mom and pop store and a all natural store) a movie theater and night clubs. He said that by the time you get in your car and drive to a place to eat he can walk to dozens of restaurants from 5 star to fast food. A hospital next block over. He said he hops on subway to work and home and any other errands that takes him out farther. He loves the life style.

Another couple we met live in Montana and are 2.5 hours from a Walmart and 1.5 from a grocery store and over 30 minutes to a gas station(Not a convenience store but a unmanned pump just off the road. They love the life style.

I say see the country and remember that when you are visiting a different state that you are the visitor and they are the ones who live there.
    There are bad people everywhere and you can run into someone in any town in Indiana or any other state, that you don't like. The bigger the city either Indianapolis or NY city the odds increase as the population goes up. I have met some real jerks in the local small town(not where I live now.....yet) hardware store so it happens anywhere.

I love the big city's lit up at night and I loved eastern California and the rolling foothills and Redwoods and the coastal hyways. Not saying I would live there but still like them. I hate California's politics and would not live there because of that. I gave up carrying my gun for a few days but I would do it again without question to stand in the Redwoods again or be on the coast watching the waves roll in.

Wife was not thrilled one year when our Motorcycle rally was to be at Santa Fe, New Mexico. Said there was nothing to see in the desert and was not interested. We went and both loved it and she still says if she could live anywhere that is her #1 pick. Mild weather and low humidity and mountains on one side of town and high desert on the other. Beautiful area.

We all have preconceived ideas what we like and until we experience them for our self I think we should give them a chance and see the country.:twocents:

Well, this seems objectively much more reasonable than "OMG OMG OMG, I HAVE TO DIVORCE MY WIFE BECAUSE I CAN'T HAVE A GUN FOR A FEW DAYS I'M GONNA DIE REEEEEE!"

:):

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    One thing to keep in mind if you do take a firearm with you. The plates on the car are out of state and they do target out of state cars. NY and NJ have taken the old small town speed trap to the next level.

A good thing about NY if you get into an accident with some one with NY plates they will have insurance. The insurance company's notify the BMV immediately of non renewal or cancelation of insurance. The Sherriff repossesses the plates no matter wear the vehicle is.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Well, this seems objectively much more reasonable than "OMG OMG OMG, I HAVE TO DIVORCE MY WIFE BECAUSE I CAN'T HAVE A GUN FOR A FEW DAYS I'M GONNA DIE REEEEEE!"

Hey!
    It's just that some of us want to live more than others do. If I didn't get rid of my wife when I did, I would be alive today.
    I'm actually being serious.

Everyone's priorities are different.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Wife and I traveled all the 48 states by Motorcycle. The country has some amazing things to see and not all of it is mountains and wilderness. The cities can be beautiful in their own way.

Yes a lot of our trips we didn't carry(because we couldn't legally) and didn't have any problems.
    In all our travels the only time/place I wished I was carrying was Bourbon Street on a weekend. Saw several fights and lots of drunk and high people getting rowdy. We knew what we were getting into though and just stayed out of the way. It was interesting that the cab driver that took us there told us to NOT walk past a certain point(a rough part of town says the guy that lives there) and call a cab when ready to leave.

We traveled to a small(100 bikes) motorcycle rally that was held in a different part of the country every year and got to meet some people from all over this country and country's including Europe and Germany.

We met a guy from NY city that has lived there his whole life. He doesn't own a car and has the bike for weekend trips out of the city to unwind. Lives in a small condo that has a parking garage and he says it doesn't cost him anything to park the bike because he can put it in a spot with a support pillar and a car won't fit there anyway. He has 3 grocery stores on his block(a Krogers, a small mom and pop store and a all natural store) a movie theater and night clubs. He said that by the time you get in your car and drive to a place to eat he can walk to dozens of restaurants from 5 star to fast food. A hospital next block over. He said he hops on subway to work and home and any other errands that takes him out farther. He loves the life style.

Another couple we met live in Montana and are 2.5 hours from a Walmart and 1.5 from a grocery store and over 30 minutes to a gas station(Not a convenience store but a unmanned pump just off the road. They love the life style.

I say see the country and remember that when you are visiting a different state that you are the visitor and they are the ones who live there.
    There are bad people everywhere and you can run into someone in any town in Indiana or any other state, that you don't like. The bigger the city either Indianapolis or NY city the odds increase as the population goes up. I have met some real jerks in the local small town(not where I live now.....yet) hardware store so it happens anywhere.

I love the big city's lit up at night and I loved eastern California and the rolling foothills and Redwoods and the coastal hyways. Not saying I would live there but still like them. I hate California's politics and would not live there because of that. I gave up carrying my gun for a few days but I would do it again without question to stand in the Redwoods again or be on the coast watching the waves roll in.

Wife was not thrilled one year when our Motorcycle rally was to be at Santa Fe, New Mexico. Said there was nothing to see in the desert and was not interested. We went and both loved it and she still says if she could live anywhere that is her #1 pick. Mild weather and low humidity and mountains on one side of town and high desert on the other. Beautiful area.

We all have preconceived ideas what we like and until we experience them for our self I think we should give them a chance and see the country.:twocents:

We always loved the bike trips. If you look at my profile pic that is how we liked to roll. Mountains to the flatlands. Been through some major city's in our journeys and yes, if you watch yourself you can pretty much get by in any surroundings. Bike week in Daytona multiple times hanging at the Outlaws national clubhouse bar. Great times. Biketober fest several times doing much the same but we rolled the cost all the way down the Key west to see my cousins and north to the line.
    Sturgis and rolled the bad lands. Came back down through the black hills and stopped at friends that have a stellar view of Pikes Peak. Then east towards home. So much to see. Just not fond of the larger than Indy population centers.

Been to the islands and old mexico. Coast to coast and north to south. There is so much to see. Just not real fond of the east coast above Virginia.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    You do not say where in NY.
    You know what he worse thing you will hear.
    STUPID, STUPID,STUPID,STUPID!
    Why destroy the rest of your life.

One bit of helpful advise. Apply for a Statue of Liberty tour way ahead of time.
    Then go up into her crown.
    Empire State Building pay the money and go to the top.
    Go just before dusk. See the light and dark view.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Lived in Brooklyn years ago (pre-Goetz IIRC). A few times I had to take the subway in the wee hours and it was always creepy quiet, and the walk home from the stop. I didn't push the odds too many times.

One time I stupidly went to use the bathroom in the subway. Was followed in by a pack of Utes. Then a transit cop. Lived to see another day. Don't do what I did.

Most of the time it's safe, but when it's not...

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I went out to Eastern NY and turkey hunted for 5 days back in 2003. We were 3 hours north of NYC. The people I met there are just like us, concerned about 2A rights. NYC is a very small portion of the state that dictates what everyone else in the state can and can't do, just like Chicago does to Illinois. If I had the chance to go back to New York state to turkey hunt, I would. I would just plan my trip accordingly, keeping in mind a handgun is a no-go. A spare turkey gun loaded with slugs in the hotel room with a good folding knife, my Streamlight Protac and my S&W "tactical" pen would keep me out of most trouble.
    As far as NYC goes, No f-ing way would I ever visit that ****hole.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Well, prior to my retirement about 12 years ago I did have to travel somewhat frequently to many different states / cities. I made several trips, to NY state, none to NY city! I enjoyed my trip to upper NY. I also flew to Canada to several cities from Windsor to Toronto, also Juarez, Mexico several times (The worst and most unsafe in my opinion). Spent a few weeks in Boston and Salem Mass., often in Detroit, Michigan (lots of areas you DO NOT want to visit). I also had to travel to many other places to numerous to mention.

At the time, due to flight restrictions, I never carried. I did however have rules I followed including never being in Mexico at night, avoiding known problem area, (normally talked to a few people at the hotel bar about best places to eat and places to avoid!) Actually had no problems in any of the areas above. I did keep situational awareness and retreated from a few places but avoided any issues.

That said I have absolutely Zero wishes to travel to areas that won't allow me to carry my firearm. I am very certain I will NEVER visit liberal cities or states again, unless my wife has a very good reason such as a family funeral or parent visit etc. If that happened, I would obey all the local laws and follow my old pattern of avoiding shady areas and keeping a high level of situational awareness. HeXX, there are areas in Indiana where it is as dangerous as most other areas even if you are carrying! Gary, and even parts of Indy are places I wouldn't travel at night with my EDC and a shotgun!

mburger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    Fishers
    Friend and I want to take some classes at the Sig Academy in New Hampshire. We want to drive there, but the restrictions in New York pretty much make it impossible.

Before you leave PA to enter NY, unload, place in a locked case, put it in your trunk or out of sight/reach, and the federal laws regarding right of travel through the state apply on your way through NY to NH.

Once in NH, your IN LTCH is honored and you're good to go.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Before you leave PA to enter NY, unload, place in a locked case, put it in your trunk or out of sight/reach, and the federal laws regarding right of travel through the state apply on your way through NY to NH.

Once in NH, your IN LTCH is honored and you're good to go.

Maybe it is more nuanced, but thats not always the case. At least not in NJ. Multiple air travelers have been arrested for illegal possession in NJ.

Step 1 book connecting flight through NJ.
    Step 2 miss your connection and get rebooked the next day on another flight as they hand you your luggage with a TSA approved locked up pistol inside.
    Step 3 Return to the airport and declare your properly secured firearm per FAA regulations.
    Step 4 Get arrested by Airport police for illegal possession of a firearm in NJ.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    Maybe it is more nuanced, but thats not always the case. At least not in NJ. Multiple air travelers have been arrested for illegal possession in NJ.

Step 2 miss your connection and get rebooked the next day on another flight as they hand you your luggage with a TSA approved locked up pistol inside.
    Step 3 Return to the airport and declare your properly secured firearm per FAA regulations.
    Step 4 Get arrested by Airport police for illegal possession of a firearm in NJ.

This ^ . So unless someone will put up a cash bond to cover your firearm, bail, pain and suffering, and court cost it's all on you. Like the old saying goes money talks BS walks.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

It always befuddles me to hear folks talk about freedom, then look at all the restrictions they self-impose.

Why do folks create this black and white situation? Have gun == ultimate safety, no gun == certain death.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Well........You are in freaking NJ for cripes sake. Stay out of NJ.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    It always befuddles me to hear folks talk about freedom, then look at all the restrictions they self-impose.

Why do folks create this black and white situation? Have gun == ultimate safety, no gun == certain death.

It's also humorous that those who have never been to NYC and refuse to go, insist on calling it a "**** hole."

It's literally one of the cleanest and safest cities in the US and has been for a while.

Does it suck you can't carry there? Yep. Are the liberal policies idiotic? You bet. But New York City is amazing. Everyone should visit it at least once.

I can't carry a gun outside of the US. Does that mean I would resign myself to never leave the country? Hell no.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It's also humorous that those who have never been to NYC and refuse to go, insist on calling it a "**** hole."

It's literally one of the cleanest and safest cities in the US and has been for a while.

Does it suck you can't carry there? Yep. Are the liberal policies idiotic? You bet. But New York City is amazing. Everyone should visit it at least once.

I wouldn't go that far!

I went there for a convention and to see my sister. - I never want to go back. Ever. I found it to be crowded, expensive, and cold.

Of course, I also hate Chicago. YMMV.
    I can't carry a gun outside of the US. Does that mean I would resign myself to never leave the country? Hell no.
    :yesway:

Top Bottom