• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Not to mention that the family in that movie was pitifully unprepared. They started prepping as the disaster was occurring, they argued over their plan and where constantly having to improvise. Being able to improvise is important, but being prepared well in advance is better.

The name of the game is that if only 20% of the people are going to survive a disaster, you do your best put yourself in that 20%. You can roll the dice and do nothing, or you can start planning and preparing.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I would say you have not had to ever live in a sub 3rd world country. Where there is a will to survive people do.
    As a matter of fact I have, and I also visit them quite often.

The mindset is different in third world countries though. They are used to surviving on a daily basis. We as Americans are mostly spoiled and set in our ways. To be able to rationalize in a situation like this would take it's toll on even the smartest of minds.

You also have to account for the mentally ill people. The ones in the hospitals or prisons who might escape, and the ones who are not even diagnosed or being treated. Very dangerous because they cannot take care of themselves.

You also have to think of the people who will be after the material things. Widespread looting will be prevalent, but people might be after the wrong things. TV's, computers, and luxury items will be of little to no value. Food, water, fuel, oil, medicine, firearms, ammunition, and clothing will be the high value items.

In the early part there will be total lawlessness and anarchy. Until the people are sorted out, it would be dangerous in the likes we have never seen in America.

I think that show was accurate by showing one of the only ways to guarantee your survival is to head out of town.

Those with infants and very young children would be in a most difficult situation. Any child aged 6 and up should be able to help out.

The elderly would be screwed no matter what.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I didn't watch the TV show that was on this OP's mind, so I it's hard to envision exactly what is or could be the worst SHTF scenario.

If (in my imagination) I have to leave or stay, I'm not planning on allowing myself or those around me to be easy prey for people that want to steal my preparations.

If there is a shortage of clean water and food, I'll worry about that as my reserves get low.

All said, I don't know how bad it could get. As it looks now, it could be a slow progression of very small SHTF incidents that eventually lead to a reality that we never could have envisioned.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Me an mine will survive as long as possible. Don't assume that there are no contingency plans being made by groups on this site; it's just the kind of thing that no one talks about openly.

Be ready to stay. Be ready to go. Have somewhere in mind that you could go North, South, East, and West even if it is just for a warm room and no more.

Be ready to communicate in order to have real information about moving or staying.

Be ready to be stingy or to share as needs be.

The most important thing is to know skills, have some basic preps, and know people. Beyond that, all else will be improvisation.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I recorded the show to watch tonight, since I missed the first run.

I guess I'm lucky enough to have a wife who was an Army medic and 4 kids that are athletes and pretty tough.

While I just did start "prepping", we're in far better shape for various SHTF scenarios than the majority of the people who live in our neighborhood.

I am in the worst shape of anyone in my house, and am working on remedying that.

caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    Many if not most of my long term preps are the “How To” books and articles I’ve accumulated hoping my kids and grandkids will be long term survivors.

http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library/device/devices3a.html

This is one source where I’m copying illustrations and short articles to disc in hopes the solar cells I’ve got will power the laptop to pass some information on to compliment my “Foxfire” books and the “Backwoods Home” articles.

My Amish neighbors would probably fare well except for the self defense aspects and protecting them so they could provide food might be one way to mutually exist.

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    I think i would be ok for a while, not to worried about looters. The first 10 or 20 would be scewerd on sticks randomly about the yard. That might deter the next group of looters or thugs whatever. If i got too hungry i would just eat the looters or gangs, should be plenty meat on hand. And take no offence fellas, but as someone said earlier it would be every man for himself, if i got too hungry or needed supplys real bad, id just come take yours :draw:

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    And take no offence fellas, but as someone said earlier it would be every man for himself, if i got too hungry or needed supplys real bad, id just come take yours :draw:

That's the quickest way to win friends around here . :rolleyes:

No offense but MOLON LABE ! Right back at ya pal !:ar15:

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Because most people (probably less than 2% of the population, if that) are able to survive, I will not be competing for resources after a couple weeks to a month.

Because I go out without food and very little water (catching or making my own to supplement my canteen), shoot my food, etc, I have practical experience and am at home in nature.

I have apples, wild strawberries, and boysenberries on my land, as well as plenty of small game and deer.

I practice shooting incessantly, and know I will hit my target.

I have firearms which give me the ability to defend myself from at least 200 meters.

I have practical knowledge on building primitive weapons and fire makers - atlatls, fire drills, etc.

Lack of personal hygiene will kill - it's important you know how to practice that. I have a straight razor so I do not have to worry about replacing blades, because I do not want a beard.

If you really want to see how you would do, take a week's vacation and kill the main breaker for a week. Figure things out for yourself.

Josh

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    As a matter of fact I have, and I also visit them quite often.

The mindset is different in third world countries though. They are used to surviving on a daily basis. We as Americans are mostly spoiled and set in our ways. To be able to rationalize in a situation like this would take it's toll on even the smartest of minds.

Yes we are very spoiled, I'll agree with that. The mindset is not all that different than how most rural people grow up, other than the total lack of education. Actually I think most rural Americans would make the switch quite rapidly.

You also have to account for the mentally ill people. The ones in the hospitals or prisons who might escape, and the ones who are not even diagnosed or being treated. Very dangerous because they cannot take care of themselves.

The mentally ill are not my concern. As far as people in hospitals again not my concern. Escapees I do keep quite a bit of rope on hand. And you know what I know for a fact that it does not bother me to hurt my fellow man. Cross the line to cur if you choose, be aware you will be treated as such. People who can not take care of themselves again not my problem.

You also have to think of the people who will be after the material things. Widespread looting will be prevalent, but people might be after the wrong things. TV's, computers, and luxury items will be of little to no value. Food, water, fuel, oil, medicine, firearms, ammunition, and clothing will be the high value items.

Looters maybe in for a little bit of a surprise out here in the rural areas. Most of the people up here are used to working together and helping each other out. Most are also preppers from way back. The lessons from the great Depression have not really been forgotten, at least around my area anyway.

In the early part there will be total lawlessness and anarchy. Until the people are sorted out, it would be dangerous in the likes we have never seen in America.

Maybe, maybe not I have seen several countries make the SHTF transition without a lawless period. More dangerous than crossing into the wilderness of the time of my Great-great grandparents time? More dangerous than the western territories? Probably not. Read a little history. It will be the worst time this generation has experienced not the worst that this nation has seen...

I think that show was accurate by showing one of the only ways to guarantee your survival is to head out of town.

Care where you head to out from the city. Some here in the rural areas don't really cotton to trespassers or squatters... Plus, what are you going to live on when you leave you precious towns? My stock and crops? The wildlife will be hunted out inside of a year or two at the most.

Those with infants and very young children would be in a most difficult situation. Any child aged 6 and up should be able to help out.

Depends on how well they plan now. The lord only helps those who are willing to help themselves.

The elderly would be screwed no matter what.

Again maybe, maybe not some of those are really tough old birds. Todays SEAL BUDS course is taken almost verbaton from the 1940 US Navy Basic training manual...

Life would be rough. But very survivable. Possible even nice minus some of this "modern convenience". ;)

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I think i would be ok for a while, not to worried about looters. The first 10 or 20 would be scewerd on sticks randomly about the yard. That might deter the next group of looters or thugs whatever. If i got too hungry i would just eat the looters or gangs, should be plenty meat on hand. And take no offence fellas, but as someone said earlier it would be every man for himself, if i got too hungry or needed supplys real bad, id just come take yours :draw:

As for your last statement, admitting that you'd turn into a looter, or worse a predator, is a sure way to become unpopular around most survival sites well before societal collapse. If I had a neighbor who said that to me then they'd be the first person to disappear if society collapsed.

As for the heads on pikes theme, my view is that is just advertising that you are armed and willing to kill intruders which makes it more likely that armed marauders will take the time to do some recon and set up an ambush. I'm more of a "make them disappear quietly" type myself.

But then, I also live in a whole lot of nowhere and prefer the grey man strategy.

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    That's the quickest way to win friends around here . :rolleyes:

No offense but MOLON LABE ! Right back at ya pal !:ar15:

my point exactlly, if youve got a wife & 2 kids, & everyone starts starving, what you gonna do ? eat the kids ?
    I think not, its human nature to do what ever it takes to survive. Take offense if you want, but in a SHTF situation, u aint just gonna go to the neighbors & ask for a cup a sugar, you will probably have to "take" it. Hence the term SHTF!! I am personally prepared for such a situation:ar15::draw:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    my point exactlly, if youve got a wife & 2 kids, & everyone starts starving, what you gonna do ? eat the kids ?
    I think not, its human nature to do what ever it takes to survive. Take offense if you want, but in a SHTF situation, u aint just gonna go to the neighbors & ask for a cup a sugar, you will probably have to "take" it. Hence the term SHTF!! I am personally prepared for such a situation:ar15::draw:

Actually you might be surprised if by human nature. Most people would probably help out a neighbor even in a SHTF.

Come a looting if you want to around my place if you want to. My advice is if that is your intent then bring big guns and a lot of friends... ;)

Glad you lie down south... :D

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    (Putting on my MOD hat)

This thread is heading towards a lock, please return it on course.

Discussions of illegal activity are out of bounds. To be clear (as if I need to, but apparently I do) this includes plans for looting and cannibalism (even as SHTF talk).

That kind of talk is not welcome among members here, and it is not within bounds of the forum itself.

:mods:

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    Because most people (probably less than 2% of the population, if that) are able to survive, I will not be competing for resources after a couple weeks to a month.

Because I go out without food and very little water (catching or making my own to supplement my canteen), shoot my food, etc, I have practical experience and am at home in nature.

I have apples, wild strawberries, and boysenberries on my land, as well as plenty of small game and deer.

I practice shooting incessantly, and know I will hit my target.

I have firearms which give me the ability to defend myself from at least 200 meters.

I have practical knowledge on building primitive weapons and fire makers - atlatls, fire drills, etc.

Lack of personal hygiene will kill - it's important you know how to practice that. I have a straight razor so I do not have to worry about replacing blades, because I do not want a beard.

If you really want to see how you would do, take a week's vacation and kill the main breaker for a week. Figure things out for yourself.

Josh

Sir, while i agree with what you have said, in this type of situation i would think you would be very lucky to be able to use your land like you have stated, ther would be tons of people HUNGRY, your land would not be your land anymore, everyone & thier brother would be eating your wild berries & taking your game from your land. I understand you could take a few of them out a 200 yds, but you will soon run out of ammo.
    I have a sizeable piece of property myself, but would be fearful of leaving my family while i go hunting for food..... Lets just all pray, that no such thing ever happens :twocents:

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    (Putting on my MOD hat)

Discussions of illegal activity are out of bounds. To be clear (as if I need to, but apparently I do) this includes plans for looting and cannibalism (even as SHTF talk).

That kind of talk is not welcome among members here, and it is not within bounds of the forum itself.

I thought we were all speaking hypothetically !!!( this is a "what if" discussion) I am in no way speaking of illegal activitys, cuz in a SHTF senario there wouldnt be any laws. Sorry if i offended anyone, that was not my ententions.:patriot:

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    (Putting on my MOD hat)

Man, I must have a knack for stinking up the place. :dunno:

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Sir, while i agree with what you have said, in this type of situation i would think you would be very lucky to be able to use your land like you have stated, ther would be tons of people HUNGRY, your land would not be your land anymore, everyone & thier brother would be eating your wild berries & taking your game from your land. I understand you could take a few of them out a 200 yds, but you will soon run out of ammo.
    I have a sizeable piece of property myself, but would be fearful of leaving my family while i go hunting for food..... Lets just all pray, that no such thing ever happens :twocents:

This is an argument that I often have with some other members of my family. Several of us live close together in a small town, but we also have some undeveloped land about six miles away that we use for hunting. There are a few structures, but nothing with a basement or alternative heat source. I tend to fall into Samot's philosophy that there would just be too many tresspassers to try to patrol and hold 100 acres, but that we could easily set up in the quarter of a block where three of us live and have gardens, basements, supplies, wood burning stoves and fireplaces, etc. I could see a point where heading out into the woods might be an option, but most of my preps are meant for me to bug in, not out.

Top Bottom