• ...and so much more!
  • Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Like the song says

I'll get by with a little help from my friends. I prepare as best I can. As for fending off the gangs I think you only have to be good enough to convince them it's not worth a bullet in the head, they may find easier prey down the street. I don't really think we will have roving gangs trying to loot every house in town, that's a lot of gangs. If all else fails ..... we all die sometime.

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Well you could make biodiesel. All of our tractors are older ones so no electronics for them to run. Then if you have solar power setup along with batteries and inverters. You will be able to run limited electronic stuff. Unless you run a bigger system already which is a good idea anyways to lessen your need for the grid. Our farm isn't too big anyways. Most of the ground is rented between here and 30 miles away. But we have enough here locally to grow enough food on for us and some others.

Do you know how much goes into making biodiesel? A ton. I built a whole setup for doing it and everything, just about ordered the KOH, had the WVO, but just lost interest. You have to know how to do titrations, the temps to mix at, duration, washing biodiesel, drying.....its complicated. Plus where are you going to get the veggie oil and potassium hydroxide or sodium hydroxide? Also, with older vehicles you will need to replace at a minimum the fuel lines because the biodiesel will break them down. This stuff is overwhelming right now. I can't imagine trying to do it if SHTF.

I'm not trying to sound like an *** or anything, I just don't want that to be your plan if you don't fully understand it. Just tryin to give ya a heads up...

I live on a farm as well, and my theory is basically use the fuel like its gold, because it will be worth way more than it. When its gone, its gone.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    drying.....its complicated. Plus where are you going to get the veggie oil and potassium hydroxide or sodium hydroxide?

Wood ash. KOH and NaOH are easy to get. Methanol can be obtained from destructive distillation of wood.

One thing I am curious about is if biodiesel can be made from animal fats or if they'd have too high a melting point once titrated.

Not saying it would be easy, but if liquid fuel is important enough it will have someone making it. Heck, even gasoline can be synthesized, though running pure methanol or ethanol would be easiest to convert gasoline engines to.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I may survive such a situation, but if I do, it will be with God's help, and not through my preps/training alone. If not, I shall just have my reward earlier than anticipated.

As a final prep, I intend to leave a copy of the Holy Bible with my meager preps (I have a couple cans of spam and a brick of .22) along with a note letting the finder know that, whether he believes it or not, if what he has found helped him, He has been helped by Him, and he should read The Book to find out why He helped.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I may survive such a situation, but if I do, it will be with God's help, and not through my preps/training alone. If not, I shall just have my reward earlier than anticipated.

As a final prep, I intend to leave a copy of the Holy Bible with my meager preps (I have a couple cans of spam and a brick of .22) along with a note letting the finder know that, whether he believes it or not, if what he has found helped him, He has been helped by Him, and he should read The Book to find out why He helped.

:+1: nice

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I'm confident that not only will I survive, but I will rise to power. Seriously though, those of us that consume vast amounts of our time planning and preparing for any and all contingencies stand a far better chance than those that don't. It's just like sports, military service and everything else in life, they all plan and practice to increase their odds of success. In the show referred to, those idiots wouldn't have lasted more than a week or two at most. I only hope LOTS of people in LA, Chicago, etc...follow the advice given and drink antifreeze.

Oh, and here is some info about the show The Michael Bane Blog this guy is one of the experts from the show and also a member over at TheHighRoad.US - Powered by vBulletin so he's one of US, not one of THEM. He posted some interesting comments about the show last night at THR.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    I think medical treatment is the biggest obstacle to overcome in a SHTF scenario. You can stock all the supplies and ammo you want, but a case of pneumonia or an infected wound, can be a real dealbreaker on survival. Food wise , I think we would be ok. We raise a big garden, do a lot of canning, have started a modest supply of staples, etc.. I found it interesting that in the book Patriots, they mentioned dental hygiene several times. I hadn't really thought of it in "prepper" terms, even though I have first hand knowledge that an infection from a bad tooth, can in fact, eventually be fatal. In addition to stocking supplies , I have added trips to the dentist, an attempt to shed a few pounds, and a feeble attempt to quit smoking, to my list of prep items.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Can you find that quote for me?

Ed,
    This was one of my Grandmothers favorite quotes. She lived though the Depression the daughter of a sharecropper who literally did not have a pot to p*ss in or a window to throw it out of. When my Grandparents passed they handed down a 4500+ acres farm. A farm that had not had a loan or subsidy since 1958! Not bad for 2 people who litterally had nothing 60 years earlier...

Her other favorite quote was,”Faith can move mountains, but YOU had better keep your own powder dry.”

The actual quote information:
    "God helps those who help themselves" is probably the most often quoted phrase that is not found in the Bible. This saying is usually attributed to Ben Franklin, quoted in Poor Richard's Almanac in 1757. In actuality, it originated from Algernon Sydney in 1698 in an article titled Discourses Concerning Government. Whatever the original source of this saying, the Bible teaches the opposite.

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central

So there was a flood coming and all residents were ordered to evacuate. One particular fellow said that he was a Christian and he trusted that God would protect him.

So as the water began to rise, a truck came by and offered evacuation assistance. The man said "No, I have faith, God will protect me".

As the water rose even higher a boat came by to save the man. Again, the man said "No, I have faith, God will save me".

The water rose and the man was forced up onto the roof of his house. A helicopter was sent to save the man. The man said that this was an ultimate test of his faith and that God would save him.

The water rose even higher and the man drowned. The man went to heaven and was in the presence of the Lord and asked, "Lord I had faith that you would save me, why did you let me drown?"

The Lord responded, "I sent you a truck, a boat and a helicopter. What more did you want Me to do?"

The Lord helps those that help themselves. Proper prior preparation prevents **** poor performance.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I'm confident that not only will I survive, but I will rise to power. Seriously though, those of us that consume vast amounts of our time planning and preparing for any and all contingencies stand a far better chance than those that don't. It's just like sports, military service and everything else in life, they all plan and practice to increase their odds of success. In the show referred to, those idiots wouldn't have lasted more than a week or two at most. I only hope LOTS of people in LA, Chicago, etc...follow the advice given and drink antifreeze.

Oh, and here is some info about the show The Michael Bane Blog this guy is one of the experts from the show and also a member over at TheHighRoad.US - Powered by vBulletin so he's one of US, not one of THEM. He posted some interesting comments about the show last night at THR.

LINK TO THR THREAD

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Do you know how much goes into making biodiesel? A ton. I built a whole setup for doing it and everything, just about ordered the KOH, had the WVO, but just lost interest. You have to know how to do titrations, the temps to mix at, duration, washing biodiesel, drying.....its complicated. Plus where are you going to get the veggie oil and potassium hydroxide or sodium hydroxide? Also, with older vehicles you will need to replace at a minimum the fuel lines because the biodiesel will break them down. This stuff is overwhelming right now. I can't imagine trying to do it if SHTF.

I'm not trying to sound like an *** or anything, I just don't want that to be your plan if you don't fully understand it. Just tryin to give ya a heads up...

I live on a farm as well, and my theory is basically use the fuel like its gold, because it will be worth way more than it. When its gone, its gone.

True good point. I haven't done all the research on it yet, so wasn't exactly sure what it took to do it. We do have a few good sized diesel tanks. But dad doesn't do very good on keeping them full all the time. Especially if its not during planting or harvest season. I'm sure we could figure something out.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Ed,
    This was one of my Grandmothers favorite quotes. She lived though the Depression the daughter of a sharecropper who literally did not have a pot to p*ss in or a window to throw it out of. When my Grandparents passed they handed down a 4500+ acres farm. A farm that had not had a loan or subsidy since 1958! Not bad for 2 people who litterally had nothing 60 years earlier...

Her other favorite quote was,”Faith can move mountains, but YOU had better keep your own powder dry.”

The actual quote information:
    "God helps those who help themselves" is probably the most often quoted phrase that is not found in the Bible. This saying is usually attributed to Ben Franklin, quoted in Poor Richard's Almanac in 1757. In actuality, it originated from Algernon Sydney in 1698 in an article titled Discourses Concerning Government. Whatever the original source of this saying, the Bible teaches the opposite.

great post +1

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    True good point. I haven't done all the research on it yet, so wasn't exactly sure what it took to do it. We do have a few good sized diesel tanks. But dad doesn't do very good on keeping them full all the time. Especially if its not during planting or harvest season. I'm sure we could figure something out.

Why not just filter and dewater your WVO, and run that in your older diesels?

Top Bottom