• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Calvin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    I think medical treatment is the biggest obstacle to overcome in a SHTF scenario. You can stock all the supplies and ammo you want, but a case of pneumonia or an infected wound, can be a real dealbreaker on survival. Food wise , I think we would be ok. We raise a big garden, do a lot of canning, have started a modest supply of staples, etc.. I found it interesting that in the book Patriots, they mentioned dental hygiene several times. I hadn't really thought of it in "prepper" terms, even though I have first hand knowledge that an infection from a bad tooth, can in fact, eventually be fatal. In addition to stocking supplies , I have added trips to the dentist, an attempt to shed a few pounds, and a feeble attempt to quit smoking, to my list of prep items.

I agree wholeheartedly with the above quote. As for immediate survival, my biggest obstacle is assembling my immediate family. This will take about 30 miles of driving and is my most vulnerable period in any such scenario. Once that is accomplished I feel that chances of survival become pretty good assuming that there is not heavy fallout directly in our area. I would have 4+ adults together with plenty of supplies in a fairly safe and inaccessible area. Even fallout is survivable, but will make life much much more difficult for several weeks. In the long term, medical care is the biggest challenge as per the above quote.

rev500ss

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Royal Center
    I think that failing because I gave up and didn't try would be the greater sin. Having a wife and kids just motivates me to try harder.

Agreed, having a wife and kids should motivate a person more especially if they're a dad and not just a donor.

Last edited:

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    There are lots of sites where one can get (learn about) the basics of survival.
    One is "Emergency Essentials" - online scroll down to "Insight Articles" (There are forms which list some supplies that may be needed, suggestions for gathering important documents, emergency #s, etc.)
    Another is the Red Cross. (Although they list preps for 72 hours, it can be expanded.)
    Another is FEMA. (Pretty much the same as the Red Cross)

There are many more sites.
    But, the more one does for him/herself NOW, the less he/she will have to worry about later.
    Just remember, "Store what you eat, eat what you store."

Most preps can be used for a variety of "emergencies" - long or short.
    Never give up!
    Do for yourself, (and family/friends) don't count on anyone else - especially the government.

I don't have nearly enough - yet, but I'm working on it. I have a plan (with variations depending on situation(s)), evacuation (or get home) route(s) and a bag in my vehicle in case I have to walk home. (NOT by the major route that I take to/from work). I have driven it, but not walked it.

It's just like trying to win the lottery. If you don't play, there is no way you're going to win!

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    360 you are worrying too much. First I6BO will protect us from any man-made event. In the rare case that I6BO can not stop it it is because BUSH some how is responsible for it but no worries because the government will be ready to give you shelter, food, and water. So there is no need to be a radical nut job like most on here saying they have stockpiles of this and that. I6BO will save you and I if we just believe, have hope, and watch the change occur right before our eyes. :faint:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    Ha ha ha, you guys on here crack me up... Never underestimate anyone's potential when it comes to survival... You'd be surprised who actually does what when that big pile of SHTF...

And where is this TV show (SHTF)? I didn't even know one existed... I only know of Man Vs Wild and Mail Call, ha ha...

rtrouten

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I think it is a great idea to never get comfortable!!! but mental preparation is as just important... and my order would be guns, family, and in my house food and booze are in the same food group!!! :)

C.H.U.D.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Elkhart
    You know there are people all over the world the live in a shtf world everyday, These winny a** city slicker should just swollow the barrel and give us with forthright to survive a better chance,After all they will be the mob looking to take our stuff because they'll flock to a false profit to lead them that will be some lowlife that only knows OBs entitalment society
    The people that live in the sahara desert live with less than most of us have and live well

phil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bristol
    To the OP...I wouldn't generalize this group as you have. Maybe 80% of those in your area won't make it but I guarantee that 80% of the people up here in the sticks will make it fine!

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    I also have no clue what show this is.

I do know that, I don't think about whether or not I'm going to survive. I try to put all my thoughts into preparing for it and being sufficient enough to fight for me and mine.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    rachel its good to see a female prepper with that mind set. my wife goes along with me but doesn't necessarily agree with it lol. also i know this if off topic but i need to post it i completely agree with your signature. only difference is mine calls me daddy :)

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    To the OP...I wouldn't generalize this group as you have. Maybe 80% of those in your area won't make it but I guarantee that 80% of the people up here in the sticks will make it fine!

you obviously didn't read earlier posts, thats not what he meant when he wrote it:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    you obviously didn't read earlier posts, thats not what he meant when he wrote it:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It does point out one glaring difference though. Those who live out in the "sticks" will have more warning that things have gotten bad and will have more time to take action. Also, I suspect that things won't get as bad out in the sticks.

Those of us who live in the cities, or in the suburbs will have very little time to put our plans into action. Things will get very bad very quickly in the cities.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    It does point out one glaring difference though. Those who live out in the "sticks" will have more warning that things have gotten bad and will have more time to take action. Also, I suspect that things won't get as bad out in the sticks.

Those of us who live in the cities, or in the suburbs will have very little time to put our plans into action. Things will get very bad very quickly in the cities.

while true the biggest city in indiana is indy and by comparison its not that big. a good thing for us we have a lot of BFE in indiana and its not desert.

Top Bottom