Willy Graham. The other side of the coin.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    That's kind of strange.......Like verbatim....It's either Groundhog Day or something else perhaps.....

And because of that I am going to be a little more sympathetic to his posts.....

I won't.

8o5n6Gyh.png

sv9S5i6h.png

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I am getting the distinct impression that some people, varying with the individual under consideration, are directing their ill will regarding preachers who are not impoverished and religion in general at the person of Billy Graham, which is in most all regards an unfair treatment of the man.

If a certain individual wants to throw bricks regarding personal wealth, I recommend that he do more studying, get a grasp on the salaries various ministers of national stature take from their ministries, account for the length of time over which the personal wealth was accumulated, account for the percentage of the intake the salaries and other compensation represent, and how the money, both that taken out in salary and that kept within the ministry, was used over time. If this is done, you are going to find that Graham was more like some of these old people who leave their families shocked at how much they had in the bank when they died largely because they just didn't spend that much over a great many years than some others who basically became instant millionaires.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    I am getting the distinct impression that some people, varying with the individual under consideration, are directing their ill will regarding preachers who are not impoverished and religion in general at the person of Billy Graham, which is in most all regards an unfair treatment of the man.

If a certain individual wants to throw bricks regarding personal wealth, I recommend that he do more studying, get a grasp on the salaries various ministers of national stature take from their ministries, account for the length of time over which the personal wealth was accumulated, account for the percentage of the intake the salaries and other compensation represent, and how the money, both that taken out in salary and that kept within the ministry, was used over time. If this is done, you are going to find that Graham was more like some of these old people who leave their families shocked at how much they had in the bank when they died largely because they just didn't spend that much over a great many years than some others who basically became instant millionaires.

I don't have a problem with how much money the guy had or didn't have. The man was an entertainer and was compensated as such. I mean, he was never going to aquire that much money or ego stroking as a brush salesman.

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    Well he died with a estate worth TWENTY FIVE MILLION DOLLARS and owned a PRIVATE JET, can't fly with the idiots who made him rich. How many poor people could 25 mil feed? I am not saying he should have lived in a cave but to become rich on the name of Christ makes me think God has a seat for him between Manson and Hitler..........I for one hope so.

I am NOT a bible scholar but I do remember reading something Jesus supposedly said to the effect of "SELL YOUR CLOAK AND USE THE MONEY TO FEED THE POOR." Guess old Billy missed that part.
    You are not a Bible scholar. There is a point we agree on. Context is everything. If I were to pull a biblical quote to counter your interpretation it would be "The Lord delights in the prosperity of His servants."

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Well he died with a estate worth TWENTY FIVE MILLION DOLLARS and owned a PRIVATE JET, can't fly with the idiots who made him rich. How many poor people could 25 mil feed? I am not saying he should have lived in a cave but to become rich on the name of Christ makes me think God has a seat for him between Manson and Hitler..........I for one hope so.

I am NOT a bible scholar but I do remember reading something Jesus supposedly said to the effect of "SELL YOUR CLOAK AND USE THE MONEY TO FEED THE POOR." Guess old Billy missed that part.

Couple of questions here....

1. How much money should a person with global influence make? What number would you place on the work that he has done? (Keep in mind that many musicians and athletes make that much in one year, and are far worse role models)
    2. What is more fiscally responsible and/or practical - buying hundreds of plane tickets to travel the country or having your own personal transportation? (lots of CEO's of major corporations do this)
    3. Most importantly - If you expect for someone else to sell their cloak and feed the poor, are you willing to do the same?

And just an observation - I wouldn't wish for anyone to go to hell, separated from God for all eternity, no matter what I thought of them. My desire (and God's) is that everyone would repent and place their faith in Jesus.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I don't have a problem with how much money the guy had or didn't have. The man was an entertainer and was compensated as such. I mean, he was never going to aquire that much money or ego stroking as a brush salesman.

As a caution against judging a man you do not know based on an inaccurate assessment of information about him, your initial post in this thread is an article that turns largely on a man's angst that Graham would not accept his sin of homosexuality

Would you have us jump to obvious and (perhaps) unwarranted conclusions based on the little we know about you?

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    I don't care. The man did a lot of good for a lot of people.

Or, hear me out, he led a lot of people down a rabbit hole that they're so blinded by, they can't see the rational side of life. I've known good men who didn't believe but they lived a life where good deeds were a life choice and not something shoved down their throat on Sundays. I've seen evil in men who kill women and children one day and pray the next.

If you need someone to tell you how to live the right way, you weren't raised the right way. Praying to an imaginary figure is about as productive as wishing someone would mow your yard. Nothing happens unless you are the driver of the results you want. I've been called holier than thou and that's laughable to me because to consider yourself holier than anyone, you need to believe in something holy. The only thing I believe in is men are capable of good and evil and there isn't an outside source responsible for that.

This isn't offensive and if someone gets offended, that should make it painfully obvious that while maybe not 100% right, I'm not 100% wrong either.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    As a caution against judging a man you do not know based on an inaccurate assessment of information about him, your initial post in this thread is an article that turns largely on a man's angst that Graham would not accept his sin of homosexuality

Would you have us jump to obvious and (perhaps) unwarranted conclusions based on the little we know about you?

This place is full of people who jump to conclusions about people without knowing them. Are you assuming I'm a homosexual? Are you assuming I'm a Democrat?

I rarely assume anything. I'm more pragmatic in my approach whether it be politics, religion, or my daily life. If my contributions can open the mind of one person, I'll consider that a success. That sounds very familiar to some I'm sure.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Or, hear me out, he led a lot of people down a rabbit hole that they're so blinded by, they can't see the rational side of life. I've known good men who didn't believe but they lived a life where good deeds were a life choice and not something shoved down their throat on Sundays. I've seen evil in men who kill women and children one day and pray the next.

If you need someone to tell you how to live the right way, you weren't raised the right way. Praying to an imaginary figure is about as productive as wishing someone would mow your yard. Nothing happens unless you are the driver of the results you want. I've been called holier than thou and that's laughable to me because to consider yourself holier than anyone, you need to believe in something holy. The only thing I believe in is men are capable of good and evil and there isn't an outside source responsible for that.

This isn't offensive and if someone gets offended, that should make it painfully obvious that while maybe not 100% right, I'm not 100% wrong either.

So you have a beef with religion in general. Got it.

Top Bottom