• ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    So the turbines went on line and our lives went from a nice peaceful farm life to a constant noise and irritation. I moved out here in 2005, created a small horse farm – my goal – peace. I liked that country peace – sitting out on a porch or sitting in a chair and listening to the peaceful calm of my horses blowing/breathing in the pasture, the crickets and frogs, etc. Now? I can’t hear that relaxing sound of my horses most days and listening to that peaceful country sound at night? Nope. I used to be able to open our windows at night to sleep – not anymore. We used to sleep without fans in our rooms….not anymore – every room including our 8 year old daughter that is with us part time has one. Didn’t used to close all of the house blinds at night – now we have to otherwise we get to look at the red lights blinking at night – wow didn’t know I was near an airport landing strip or disco tech. In the fall, despite the room darkening blinds, AND heavy window curtains, if it is a sunny morning you still wake up to shadow flickers.

?Our Living Hell? ? Life Next To Wind Turbines? ? Illinois Leaks

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    The ones they are wanting to build here in Cass County are 675’, tallest that will be built on land.

That's going to put them in uncharted territory. The industry in the US has been keeping them at 495' because 500' puts them into FAA regulatory territory; they are a hazard to flight now.

chemteach

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Plymouth
    So the turbines went on line and our lives went from a nice peaceful farm life to a constant noise and irritation. I moved out here in 2005, created a small horse farm – my goal – peace. I liked that country peace – sitting out on a porch or sitting in a chair and listening to the peaceful calm of my horses blowing/breathing in the pasture, the crickets and frogs, etc. Now? I can’t hear that relaxing sound of my horses most days and listening to that peaceful country sound at night? Nope. I used to be able to open our windows at night to sleep – not anymore. We used to sleep without fans in our rooms….not anymore – every room including our 8 year old daughter that is with us part time has one. Didn’t used to close all of the house blinds at night – now we have to otherwise we get to look at the red lights blinking at night – wow didn’t know I was near an airport landing strip or disco tech. In the fall, despite the room darkening blinds, AND heavy window curtains, if it is a sunny morning you still wake up to shadow flickers.

?Our Living Hell? ? Life Next To Wind Turbines? ? Illinois Leaks
    You obviously do lose sleep over this. I feel sad for you. I, too, own "a little slice of heaven" out in the middle of nowhere. Not sure what I'd do, but pretty sure how I'd feel if they stuck one of those "unnatural" natural energy farms (really, they call it a wind farm?) in my backyard.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    I live about 10 miles south of the wind farms in Benton and White county. But have been through the farms numerous times. Even pulled off and sat a while out side of the car as close as I could legally get to one of the turbines. The loudest noise I could hear was a cow over a mile away. I could not hear any 'swishing' sound made by the blades, but I could hear a faint rattle as the blades went around. The wires on a high tension line make more noise humming and buzzing on a humid day.

They appear to use about 1/10 of an acre for the base and access roads.

I heard that the farms here sell all their electricity out east as it is cheaper the the power generation out east (New York).

If I remember the dimensions correctly, the tip of the blades are at 100' off the ground at the lowest point in the arc. How high do birds and bats fly over farm fields?

Would be nice to hear from a land owner that lives on the land these things are on.

Looks can be deceiving, those towers didn’t just get erected in that 1/10 of an acre foot print. I took a huge amount of room to assemble with some massive equipment. The crane to assemble the towers south east of Fowler (155’ blades) weighed 750,000 ton, cost them $300,000 to tear down and re assemble at another site. They would walk it from tower to tower, goes without saying the ground it crossed will never be the same. It’s been 10yrs and can still see where it went on google earth.

It’s in every wind tower lease agreement that land owners are to refrain from giving negative comments about wind energy in general, and can be held financially accountable for doing so. Doubt you will find any of them speaking out against the people who paying them, at least not in public and someone they don’t know.

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    That's going to put them in uncharted territory. The industry in the US has been keeping them at 495' because 500' puts them into FAA regulatory territory; they are a hazard to flight now.

Yes it is. They want us to be a experiment for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport

The footprint is also laid out in flight training grounds for A10’S out of Ft Wayne and Michigan too. Thats something we do not want to lose. Also it sits on top of one of if not the largest underground natural gas storage caverns in the US.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    The footprint is also laid out in flight training grounds for A10’S out of Ft Wayne and Michigan too. Thats something we do not want to lose. Also it sits on top of one of if not the largest underground natural gas storage caverns in the US.

Hmmm, I'll have to take a look at that. The AF/ANG has been able to start saying no to approving these projects since we got an administration that supports the military more than 'green' energy campaign contributors. The FAA will have to go through the OE/AAA process to justify the obstructions. If it's in a military training route the answer may be no already; we've lost a lot of low level training routes to these things.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I think everyone should have mini-windmills for their own use. The big ones are ugly and should be preyed upon by A10s. :laugh:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I see Cass County is directly under 12 Mile/Hill Top Military Operating Area; primary training space for the A-10s out of Ft Wayne. National Guard Bureau already notified to keep an eye out for OE/AAA notifications from the FAA.

INGO...making a difference...

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    I’ve been watching this for a few days. Flame suit on.

I don’t live around them, but I work around them. Last year my employer had 15,000 acres of a high value crop between Fowler and Wolcott. Big time wind mill area.

The sentiment with landowners is “if I have to look at my neighbor’s, I may as well have my own”. It’s the domino effect. At least in that area, there are several people that own the land that aren’t local. Grandpa Joe’s old country farm may not own the land. He may farm it, but a church, a trust, an investor, etc. may control it. As one of our wise moderators says, follow the money.

I am curious to see the end-of-life scenario play out for the Benton county windmills since I believe their lifespan is about half up.

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    I’ve been watching this for a few days. Flame suit on.

I don’t live around them, but I work around them. Last year my employer had 15,000 acres of a high value crop between Fowler and Wolcott. Big time wind mill area.

The sentiment with landowners is “if I have to look at my neighbor’s, I may as well have my own”. It’s the domino effect. At least in that area, there are several people that own the land that aren’t local. Grandpa Joe’s old country farm may not own the land. He may farm it, but a church, a trust, an investor, etc. may control it. As one of our wise moderators says, follow the money.

I am curious to see the end-of-life scenario play out for the Benton county windmills since I believe their lifespan is about half up.

Your exactly right follow the money, and the wind companies always circle back to fossil fuel companies as well. People get blinded by the dollar signs and do not see the long term effects.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    I wonder how it could be at all possible that they could have a positive effect on property values.

Wind farm that is proposed in my county will pay non participating home owners within the foot print of the wind farm $1000 annually for their inconvenience. I would think that comes with the same condition, speaking out in public against them will forfeit your payment.
    Also, after construction is completed you will end up with some very nice county roads. Cause they will completely destroy the ones you have.

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    Wind farm that is proposed in my county will pay non participating home owners within the foot print of the wind farm $1000 annually for their inconvenience. I would think that comes with the same condition, speaking out in public against them will forfeit your payment.
    Also, after construction is completed you will end up with some very nice county roads. Cause they will completely destroy the ones you have.

What county are you in? I’ve heard talk up here that it is a 1 time payment of 1k. Wonder if those folks realize they have to claim that money on their taxes too?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom