• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I live about 10 miles south of the wind farms in Benton and White county. But have been through the farms numerous times. Even pulled off and sat a while out side of the car as close as I could legally get to one of the turbines. The loudest noise I could hear was a cow over a mile away. I could not hear any 'swishing' sound made by the blades, but I could hear a faint rattle as the blades went around. The wires on a high tension line make more noise humming and buzzing on a humid day.

They appear to use about 1/10 of an acre for the base and access roads.

I heard that the farms here sell all their electricity out east as it is cheaper the the power generation out east (New York).

If I remember the dimensions correctly, the tip of the blades are at 100' off the ground at the lowest point in the arc. How high do birds and bats fly over farm fields?

Would be nice to hear from a land owner that lives on the land these things are on.

I've pulled right up under some of those windmills in Benton /White County. If you didn't hear whooshing then the wind wasn't really blowing, but it's always blowing there.

I hunt on a property adjacent to a windmill, well actually several properties, some in Iroquois in IL. I think the noise is horrendous. Been out pheasant hunting and have to scream at the top of my lungs to get someone to hear when the wind is blowing 20mph and it isn't because of the wind. It's the blades. With that wind speed the tips are moving at over 150mph and can top out at @ 180mph. That make noise. A lot of noise.

Seeing the number in Benton/White counties and watching them go up it always seemed to me that there was never any wires going up for all those pinwheels. I've convinced myself that they are exactly that. Pinwheels!

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    The wind turbines you are describing sound like the same ones they are trying to put in Jasper and Pulaski counties. Those are supposed to be about 680 feet tall. They have a map proposing to put hundreds of them in the eastern portions of Jasper and the western portions of Pulaski counties. I wouldn't want them anymore than the CAFOs, but we are sure getting our share of those as well. Where is it that you can move anymore and not have to worry about these sorts of things??? I'm not sure there is such a place.

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    The wind turbines you are describing sound like the same ones they are trying to put in Jasper and Pulaski counties. Those are supposed to be about 680 feet tall. They have a map proposing to put hundreds of them in the eastern portions of Jasper and the western portions of Pulaski counties. I wouldn't want them anymore than the CAFOs, but we are sure getting our share of those as well. Where is it that you can move anymore and not have to worry about these sorts of things??? I'm not sure there is such a place.

Correct, they got shut down in Fulton and Miami is under way to shut them down. Still working on it in Cass so they have moved to pulaski now. 680' is what they applied for with the FAA about a month ago. Sounds like Pulaski has a good chance of their commissioners shutting them down as well.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Correct, they got shut down in Fulton and Miami is under way to shut them down. Still working on it in Cass so they have moved to pulaski now. 680' is what they applied for with the FAA about a month ago. Sounds like Pulaski has a good chance of their commissioners shutting them down as well.

I hope so. I hope Jasper does the same. These wouldn't be far from my parents' property.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    I live about 10 miles south of the wind farms in Benton and White county. But have been through the farms numerous times. Even pulled off and sat a while out side of the car as close as I could legally get to one of the turbines. The loudest noise I could hear was a cow over a mile away. I could not hear any 'swishing' sound made by the blades, but I could hear a faint rattle as the blades went around. The wires on a high tension line make more noise humming and buzzing on a humid day.

They appear to use about 1/10 of an acre for the base and access roads.

I heard that the farms here sell all their electricity out east as it is cheaper the the power generation out east (New York).

If I remember the dimensions correctly, the tip of the blades are at 100' off the ground at the lowest point in the arc. How high do birds and bats fly over farm fields?

Would be nice to hear from a land owner that lives on the land these things are on.
    I worked telco data circuits for BP wind farm in Fowler until 2015. The blades at top dead center are approximately 300’ to the ground. When the windmill is changing direction the gear ratcheting is loud from the ground. I never had a day pass that the blades were moving and I didn’t hear them swooshing from the ground. They serve an economic purpose locally, but I’m not sure that the economic gain is shared as equally as the disruption they cause. Most county roads were complete disasters over the lengthy construction periods. Fine if you are not driving those roads daily. Yes the roads were completely rebuilt by the wind farm companies, but I’m sure it is an attention to detail item in the contracts with the county. If I recall correctly, the farms there had a minimum 49 acre requirement to be considered for a turbine, that puts many families in the position of living amongst the turbines, but not getting any direct benifit from them. It just a matter of knowing what you and your neighbors are in for and being sure to pay attention to the details that can make the wind turbines beneficial to you.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i would much rather have a wind farm than a interstate......i moved here 25 years ago when there was nothing out here now we have I69 south 1/2 mile from us.....there is no peace and quite now at all what so ever and INDOT is the most lawless rude and uncaring bunch you could ever find.......the worst loudest uncaring neighbors you could find...

the bridge that goes over our road is moving and all you here and fell now is the thump of semi's going over it......the rumble strips which are just so people can text and drive are so loud and the semi's don't know they are even on them.....

just pray you get a wind farm and not a interstate....

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    But wait...I thought that wind farms were supposed to save consumers money...

https://www.in.gov/judiciary/opinions/pdf/05211801cjb.pdf

Following changes to certain rules and regulations in 2013, a dispute arose regarding the extent of
    Duke’s contractual obligations to the Wind Farm. Duke believed that based upon the parties’
    contract, it was only required to accept and pay for energy that the Wind Farm generated and delivered to Duke. The
    Wind Farm, however, interpreted the contract to mean that Duke had to pay for lost production in
    addition to the power it delivered to Duke

So . . . the wind farm owner thought they were entitled to being paid for not delivering a product as well as delivering a product?

I don't know how prevalent that kind of thinking is in the business world in general, but I am not surprised at an allegation from a company that owns wind farms.

My eyes glazed over while trying to decipher the decision. Did the wind farm actually prevail??

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    So . . . the wind farm owner thought they were entitled to being paid for not delivering a product as well as delivering a product?

I don't know how prevalent that kind of thinking is in the business world in general, but I am not surprised at an allegation from a company that owns wind farms.

My eyes glazed over while trying to decipher the decision. Did the wind farm actually prevail??

The consumers of Duke Energy lost. If you're on Duke power service, you'll be chipping in on that $29MM bill over the next 12 months. Congratulations!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It's a wealth redistribution scheme and you're a part of it.

In the case of this wind farm, the customers are getting it from both ends. They're paying the costs passed on by Duke related to this specific situation and they're paying via the taxes that make wind turbines seem like they can compete to people who can't do math.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    In the case of this wind farm, the customers are getting it from both ends. They're paying the costs passed on by Duke related to this specific situation and they're paying via the taxes that make wind turbines seem like they can compete to people who can't do math.

You gotta get in on the ground floor to be the ones who benefit from these schemes...and I'm neither connected nor smart enough to do so. :D

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm happy to not be on Duke.

That said, REMC has planted solar panel farms in a whole lot of locations. Oddly, my bill doesn't seem to reflect these savings. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom