• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just fired up the anthracite stove I installed this summer.

Screw cutting all that damn firewood. Screw messing with kero or gas.

I can get 40 pounds of these Dinosaur Turds for $13 and it lasts forever. And because it’s hard coal, it doesn’t smoke the neighbors.

Bonus is making the environmental ninny’s lie when they say that no one burns coal in Marion county anymore.

When I was a kid, dad had a lot of friends that were greenhouse owners. Some of them had coal fired boilers to keep the greenhouses warm and he would occasionally get a small load of anthracite coal from them. It would be in decent sized chunks - maybe 8"-10", and we would burn it in our fireplace. Usually we'd have a regular wood fire but then add 2 or 3 chunks of the coal at night and it would burn all night long.

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    Give Indy Propane a call. I changed to them a year and a half ago and they have real time monitoring of my tank and fill it between 20-25%. Even have a budget plan but you have to wait until summer to sign up. You can tell them Ron Hamersley referred you...maybe I'll get a kickback!
    Thanks. I have already started shopping around. I will give them a look.

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    When I was a kid, dad had a lot of friends that were greenhouse owners. Some of them had coal fired boilers to keep the greenhouses warm and he would occasionally get a small load of anthracite coal from them. It would be in decent sized chunks - maybe 8"-10", and we would burn it in our fireplace. Usually we'd have a regular wood fire but then add 2 or 3 chunks of the coal at night and it would burn all night long.
    Some refer to that coal as “Premium Nut Coal” and some TSC carry it.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Brrrr. -12° at the ranch this morning.

Even our cold/snow loving bernedoodle mutt wanted back inside immediately after doing his biddness.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Vehicle definitely hasn't liked being started the last couple days
    It took the entire 20 mile drive to work this morning for my car's temp gauge to hit its normal reading. And that was driving in sport mode and starting out in a 40° garage.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It took the entire 20 mile drive to work this morning for my car's temp gauge to hit its normal reading. And that was driving in sport mode and starting out in a 40° garage.
    No doubt. I let mine warm up a bit before departing. (I park outside and its -2 here)

It was blowing reasonably hot given the OAT. Got to the first stoplight and after 30 seconds of sitting, the air through the vents was barely lukewarm. Even though the temp gauge showed it was warmed up, there wasnt enough coolant flow to heat the air fully.

Once I accelerated it immediately returned to hot air.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    My drive to work is pretty short but even with letting it run while scraping the frost and driving in the needle barely made it off cold

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have a 200 watt Renogy solar set-up on my cabin in Alaska. Plan on installing the same system on my house here in Indiana. It would be enough to run some led lights and charge phones. I would also use it to power my amateur radios.
    My solar set up(just 2 100 watt panels connected to a couple of 31 batteries...batteries also act as backups for my diesel truck) is simply to run an inverter for the router, charge headlamps, phones, and a laptop. Generator for everything else(2 generators actually).

Honestly I need to get a 12V USB station, as almost everything I charge and use with that setup could still be used without the inverter and its fan wasting as much. Now that I thought of it....just ordered.
    Amazon product ASIN B0BM3S5463

Assuming your battery storage is warm, how are the solar panels effected by extreme cold? Extended extreme cold?

:dunno:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Assuming your battery storage is warm, how are the solar panels effected by extreme cold? Extended extreme cold?

:dunno:
    Cold they seem perfectly fine with, the shorter days in the winter though do slow them down by up to 1/3 vs summer hours of sunshine. Also,you are correct my batteries are in the house and heated at the same temperature as my living room(high/low vented utility/pantry room).

Last edited:

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    20230624_165451.jpg
    Cold they seem perfectly fine with, the shorter days in the winter though do slow them down by up to 1/3 vs summer hours of sunshine. Also,you are correct my batteries are in the house and heated at the same temperature as my living room.
    That has our observation with solar panels as well. Our battery is under the cabin. As long as it is full of water and it is getting a little charge in the winter, it does fine. We also have the problem of the snow in Alaska covering the panels, when we are not up there.

Attach0.jpg

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That has our observation with solar panels as well. Our battery is under the cabin. As long as it is full of water and it is getting a little charge in the winter, it does fine. We also have the problem of the snow in Alaska covering the panels, when we are not up there.

Just curious. What's this?

1705682345474.png

Top Bottom