• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Why are people so afraid/worried abot wolves and cougars in Indiana? Since 1492 there are only about 16 recorded deaths from cougars, and two of those were from rabies. I doubt that many people have been killed by wolves either.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Its not that I personally fear them, but they eat livestock. Farmers can take a huge hit when wolves move into an area and start munching on livestock.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Its not that I personally fear them, but they eat livestock. Farmers can take a huge hit when wolves move into an area and start munching on livestock.

Huge hit? Where has that been documented? Northern WI and MN has had large packs for over 30 years, they still have deer and cattle there.

Do they eat livestock? Some do. Huge hit? Not really.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Huge hit? Where has that been documented? Northern WI and MN has had large packs for over 30 years, they still have deer and cattle there.

Tell that to the farmer that is trying to make a living off his livestock. Most farmers are not going to report it. They will just go out and eliminate the problem.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country

Huge hit might have been exaggerated, but when a farmer losses just 2-3 lambs a year you looking at monetary losses in the thousands. When your not making a lot of money every loss can really affect your bottom line. Bigger operations can obsorb more of the cost but the little guys just gets royally screwed when they start taking those consistent losses.

This link gives a little photo show of what wolves will do to a dog. Apparently a big problem out west were hounds are used a lot for hunting.
    The Canine Killers | Outdoor Life

Link on what the wolves did the Yellowstone's elk population
    Missing: A Quarter of Yellowstone's Elk | Outdoor Life

But maybe im just upset that wolves ruined my hunting trip this last fall. Up in the UP MI I saw dozens of deer but was waiting for "the big one." A wolf walks through the area the first day, and I saw a single doe for the rest of the 4 day trip. A completely wasted trip that I had been looking forward to for the last year. :xmad: Its just a shame that you cant shoot em for fear you'll hit the one thats tagged.......:rolleyes:

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion

bull****, if I had a cougar or a pack of wolves move onto our property we would be devastated and lose the farm. We are having that problem now from a listeria outbreak. I am damn sure not gonna wait for the dnr to tell me I can shoot anything. my family would lose everything we have worked for the past 100 years. Sure maybe some of the big time ops can just write it off but we operate on a small grass fed herd and are suffering enough already don't come in here assuming that you know what would or wouldn't be a big hurt on people that raise livestock.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    ... and the panic continues.
    I'm sorry if the state of Michigan lied to you, and will not honor the guarantee on the white tail deer you paid for, better luck next year. I was on the Wisconsin side, I scouted, I hunted, and had bucks running everywhere. 12 guys limited in 5 days of a 9 day season. The wolves must have all benn in Michigan that week.
    Elk herds are going to move if wolves move in. No suprise.
    Weighing in at 100lbs+, yes they can kill a dog. No suprise

If a pack moves in, do what you have to do, and take the lumps that come with those choices.

Last edited:

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    It is not panic I would love to see wolves and cougars released into Indiana, however I am not willing to stake my livelihood on it would you? Sure natural prey is available and abundant but at a grossly underweight and overpopulated from what I have seen.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Look at the HUGE hit that deer have on crops, and explain why we shouldn't hunt down and kill every last one of them so farmers can earn more income!! I am a farmer, and accept the losses to deer (About 30% of what I plant by my calculations) as the price I have to pay to see, hunt, and enjoy this majestic animal. Studies have shown that coyotes generally eat livestock AFTER it is already dead. A mother animal can more than protect its young from a coyote. I don't know if this would be the same for a pack of wolves, but I am sure that they are creatures of opportunity, just like coyotes, and would prefer to find a dead or sick animal rather than try to kill a healthy one.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Furthermore if we did have a problem I have seen how long it takes to get a kill permit for an endangered animal. You usually get it about the same time the subject in question has cleaned you out and moved on. One of those fantastic river otters they re-introduced completely demolished our freshly stocked pond which came in the thousands of dollars range in damages (State also refused to come out and investigate the poaching that caused us to have to stock it even though they traveled through a state forest to do so), and completely tore up our creek bank/pond bank which would have flooded several hundred acres of farm land. When the local little guy farmer is at risk the state sits on their ass and wades through red tape while we suffer.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ...Since 1492 there are only about 16 recorded deaths from cougars, and two of those were from rabies. I doubt that many people have been killed by wolves either.

23 people have been killed just in the 120 yrs between between 1890 and 2010.

List of fatal cougar attacks in North America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The current reported attack rate is about 6 people per yr (US/Canada) and just under 1 death per yr. This rate has been constant since 1991.

Mountain Lion Attacks On People in the U.S. and Canada

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    If the gubment wants to take responsibility WHEN something happens, then go right ahead and re-introduce them. They won't so I am against it, I am sorry for the flagrant first post but I don't think someone who appears to be a city slicker has absolutely no weight to throw around when calling farmers panic stricken worry warts. It has already become an issue for some of the re-introduced areas because unlike deer livestock are fenced in a certain area ALWAYS. Predators are opportunistic, less energy spent to get a kill the better.

Top Bottom