• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierfishing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Lets say wolves do move back into Indiana. How successful do you think someone would be if they raised their own pack of farm dogs to keep the wolves away? I'm talking about 4 or 5 large airedales or livestock guardian breeds. I know it would be a little pricey in the begining, but may save a little money if no livestock is lost. I do think farmers should be allowed to eliminate any animal threat to their livelyhood.

nwolfe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    I have seen coyotes do the same thing to dogs. I have seen them eat smaller and mid sized hounds like beagles, farm cats, and young livestock.
    I even witnessed a bald eagle attack a beagle while we were hunting in southern Indiana. I guess it is all part of nature.
    I personally would tolerate large cats on my farm more than I would a wolf pack.
    I did have some caged rabbits that were killed by a pack of wild dogs. I contacted my county commissioner and he reimbursed me for the damages. The next week there were 5 less dogs in the world too. I caught them retruning and was prepared. They were dispatched with my benelli and 000 buck. The county would not help me get rid of the dead dogs though.

nsenneking

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Ballstown
    im no farmer but from a deer hunter's perspective wolves in controlled numbers could help control the coyote population as well as keep the deer herd healthy since wolves always go for the sick or weak

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I think everyone should be afraid of those little furry creatures we lovingly call rabbits. I know I am. Have you ever had one stare you down? I have. And the sound they make will give nightmares to the best of us. That's the main reason I have a dog, so far she has been able to keep the lil varmints at bay.

Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Huge hit might have been exaggerated, but when a farmer losses just 2-3 lambs a year you looking at monetary losses in the thousands. When your not making a lot of money every loss can really affect your bottom line. Bigger operations can obsorb more of the cost but the little guys just gets royally screwed when they start taking those consistent losses.

This link gives a little photo show of what wolves will do to a dog. Apparently a big problem out west were hounds are used a lot for hunting.
    The Canine Killers | Outdoor Life

Link on what the wolves did the Yellowstone's elk population
    Missing: A Quarter of Yellowstone's Elk | Outdoor Life

But maybe im just upset that wolves ruined my hunting trip this last fall. Up in the UP MI I saw dozens of deer but was waiting for "the big one." A wolf walks through the area the first day, and I saw a single doe for the rest of the 4 day trip. A completely wasted trip that I had been looking forward to for the last year. :xmad: Its just a shame that you cant shoot em for fear you'll hit the one thats tagged.......:rolleyes:

Perhaps you too have ruined a couple of hunting trips of the wolves' as well. Also, you're telling me that a pack of larger, stronger, and more aggressive canines are able to kill other smaller, slower house dogs? wow...never would have made the connection. Thanks!

straittactical

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   1
    Dec 16, 2008
    I watched a show on wolves and how they were interduced in the usa and out west in montana there are reports of packs of wolves going on killing sprees and killing 30-40 sheep in one night. wolves kill other animals just to kill and for food.

Huge hit? Where has that been documented? Northern WI and MN has had large packs for over 30 years, they still have deer and cattle there.

Do they eat livestock? Some do. Huge hit? Not really.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think some of the guys who are "all for" the reintroduction of apex predators to the Indiana ecosystem may want to do a little more research!
    Crying Wolf Movie (HD) on Vimeo

people who have to live with the results of reintroduction have a much different view than the "nature lovers" who lobby and picket for these animals' "rights" to exist. And the Feds have shown an inability to successfully manage what they start.

Web Page Redirect - Wisconsin DNR

Wisconsin wolf population surges - JSOnline

I also don't think some have taken into account that Indiana is not Montana. Indiana is not N. Wisconsin or Minnesota with a Great North woods. Everywhere in the world throughout the history of mankind where wolves come in contact with humans, they have been eradicated. Not because of fear, but because wolves and humans exist in direct opposition to one-another. Wolves (as opposed to coyotes) don't run at the sight of a human. They will stare at you and size you up! They have to make a decision if they want to eat you or leave you be! Don't believe me, I've had it happen up on the border of Wis. and the U.P! You really don't have the sense of the size of these things until you come across one in the middle of nowhere, have it trot away about 20 yds. and just stare at ya! Fricken Huge! We're talking Great Dane size! It's shoulders would be up to my belt line. These things are not designed to kill deer. They're pack animals designed for Large prey, Elk, Moose and Caribou. When there is a lack of those they turn to whitetail, but why bother with them when cattle is soooo much easier??
    images
    images

images
    images
    images

Last edited:

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Yeah, when I was a kid, we were up near Hayward WI, we were driving back to where we were staying and up ahead we saw something standing in the road. It was as tall as a deer, but when we got closer, we realized it was a wolf.

Funny thing is, the guy whose place we were staying at previously insisted there were no wolves in that area.

Top Bottom