Woman sucked out of window on Southwest flight when engine explodes.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I have to wonder if she was killed by the debris that came through the window. For her sake I hope she died instantly. Because at 32,000 feet the air temp is about -70F, at 600 mph the wind chill on any exposed skin would be horrific, impossible to breath, instant frostbite. Terrible.

I hadn't thought about all of that. That would be a terrible way to go.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I get the glory story for the pilot, but as a non-pilot, was this a feat of extraordinary flying or was it fairly routine? Losing an engine is certainly dramatic but not sure how it changes the dynamics of flying that particular plane. Is it a story that a pilot calmly reacted to a situation? I calmly react to all sorts of disasters every day at my job.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I get the glory story for the pilot, but as a non-pilot, was this a feat of extraordinary flying or was it fairly routine? Losing an engine is certainly dramatic but not sure how it changes the dynamics of flying that particular plane. Is it a story that a pilot calmly reacted to a situation? I calmly react to all sorts of disasters every day at my job.

It's a story about someone that didn't lose their cool, and a bunch of people didn't die as a result.
    It's a better story than 95 percent of what's out there.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I get the glory story for the pilot, but as a non-pilot, was this a feat of extraordinary flying or was it fairly routine?

There's absolutely nothing "routine" about any engine failure on a twin-engine aircraft...to say nothing of a catastrophic failure that compromises the pressure vessel and causes and a rapid decompression (ie. the cabin window, which I'm REAL dang curious how that happened).

That being said, all airline pilots do recurrent training in the simulator at least once a year, which emphasizes one engine inoperative (OEI) situations and procedures, and you don't "pass" unless you show proficiency in OEI operations. Additionally, all transport-category aircraft are certified to fly and land just fine on a single engine.

I haven't flown a 737, but generally when OEI one lands with a reduced flap setting and slightly higher approach speed.

It's an emergency situation without doubt, but not *necessarily* the OMFG life or death scenario some in the media portray it is.

I'd want a couple fingers of a good scotch after doing my drug test, filling out my event report, talking to the union and getting into the hotel though...

Is it a story that a pilot calmly reacted to a situation?

The remarkable thing about this is the airplane didn't just have an engine come apart at altitude, but the cabin was compromised and a passenger "sucked out"...something absolutely no pilot and certainly no Captain wants to hear. That said, she and the First Officer had their hands full doing an emergency descent, declaring an emergency, running their checklists, notifying their company and ATC, and setting up for an engine-out landing...yet she sounded cool as a cucumber. The lack of stress in her voice was reassuring, and probably also helped the controller stay calm (controller did a GREAT job, too).

Go back and listen to the US Air 1549 ATC tapes - Sully also sounded remarkably calm.

One doesn't make a good professional pilot if you can't compartmentalize in a high-stress situation and fall back upon your training and experience...

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

The pilot did a great job handling the airplane during the emergency because they are trained to do a great job handling the airplane during an emergency. Like it or not with the advent of modern avionics the only reason you have a pilot sitting in the front of the plane is for emergency situations. I hate to say "All" commercial aircraft because my experience is limited to a small number of them but "all" commercial aircraft are designed to survive engine failure during the most critical aspects of flight; takeoff and landing. In other words if they've just pulled back on the yoke at the end of their takeoff roll and lose an engine they are trained and the aircraft is capable of surviving the engine loss. Where it gets dicey is when/if it takes out peripherals, flight controls , etc. Another area of concern is multiple failures, engine failure, decompression, bad weather, etc all add to the mix and reduce the survivability. Engine failures and decompressions alone are survivable and can be done so with a minimum of "drama" in the correct circumstances.

The preach constantly "fly the plane", a lot of commercial aviation fatalities are the result of forgetting this simple fact. Burned out indicator lights, inaccurate gauges, etc have all distracted flight crews until they flew straight into the ground. There's even a term for it; CFIT, Controlled flight into terrain. I've had the opportunity to read crash reports and listen voice recorders and read the data and you'd be surprised how many times pilots forgot to "fly the plane". I'm sure and I hope that somebody with more recent experience can fill in any blanks I've left as it's been 17 years since I saw under the skin on a commercial airliner.

To answer your original question though, while it's not that common, the reaction was and should be fairly routine.

AVBoiler beat me to it with more detailed and current info!!:yesway:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the insight.

i read somewhere the flaps and such still worked on that wing. Incredible design to take that beating and keep flying. Glad no report of a drone

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    INGOers:

In the highly unlikely event your airline flight experiences a rapid depressurization for any reason - please don't be like the moron with a manbun pictured above...PUT THE DANG MASK OVER YOUR *NOSE* AND MOUTH!

CFM56s are stupidly reliable engines...but in any turbine engine, if a blade in the fan or turbine section lets go, the imbalance combined with RPMs are gonna cause stuff to come apart quickly and with a LOT of energy. That being said, pieces of the engine penetrating the fuselage are *exceedingly* rare in underwing engine aircraft.

Great job by the flight crew, the Captain can be heard on LiveATC and she sounds as cool as cucumber when she says "a piece of the plane is missing" :n00b:

In Southwest emergency landing, oxygen masks worn incorrectly - Business Insider
    'Almost everyone' in a photo of Southwest's emergency landing wore their oxygen mask 'wrong,' says a former flight attendant

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Just over the news, the poor woman almost suck out the window has died. I believe this she is the first fatality on a US registered aircraft in 9 years or so. Talk about a great record considering how bad it was in the 1980s and earlier.

Maybe transport category aircraft due to damage or accident, but there are pretty fatal crashes of us registered aircraft regularly. I'm an airframe and powerplant with my inspection authorization who spent a few years working on small and experimental airplanes. I worked in a shop that did salvage work, and we had a few fatal crashes come through to be stripped and salvaged. One that stands out was an older pilot flying a simple airplane (ercoupe) he was told it was ok to fly without his oil cap on his filler neck because it was a dry sump engine... Engine bays cool using high and low pressure areas, low pressure sucked the tank dry, engine stopped, he went down in an area of clearcut forest. This airplane being antique, and arrogant owners not wanting to ruin the vintage by installing shoulder harnesses died from head trauma. It was clear where his head impacted the control wheel and into the instrument panel. He lived long enough to call for help and waive the rescue chopper in, died moments after loading into the helo. A Learjet crashed killing the crew (can't remember if pax were on board) a year or so ago. Working on small single engine aircraft I often came across new owners who thought that since an airplane was currently registered it was safe, and it is just not the case. Many owners skimp on maintenance, skip mandatory bulletins, or cheap out on cut rate illegal repairs using a shady auto mech or my personal favorite "experienced pilot mechanic who just never got his licenses"

Flying is still extremely safe, but like all forms of transportation it has a body count.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Maybe transport category aircraft due to damage or accident, but there are pretty fatal crashes of us registered aircraft regularly. I'm an airframe and powerplant with my inspection authorization who spent a few years working on small and experimental airplanes. I worked in a shop that did salvage work, and we had a few fatal crashes come through to be stripped and salvaged. One that stands out was an older pilot flying a simple airplane (ercoupe) he was told it was ok to fly without his oil cap on his filler neck because it was a dry sump engine... Engine bays cool using high and low pressure areas, low pressure sucked the tank dry, engine stopped, he went down in an area of clearcut forest. This airplane being antique, and arrogant owners not wanting to ruin the vintage by installing shoulder harnesses died from head trauma. It was clear where his head impacted the control wheel and into the instrument panel. He lived long enough to call for help and waive the rescue chopper in, died moments after loading into the helo. A Learjet crashed killing the crew (can't remember if pax were on board) a year or so ago. Working on small single engine aircraft I often came across new owners who thought that since an airplane was currently registered it was safe, and it is just not the case. Many owners skimp on maintenance, skip mandatory bulletins, or cheap out on cut rate illegal repairs using a shady auto mech or my personal favorite "experienced pilot mechanic who just never got his licenses"

Flying is still extremely safe, but like all forms of transportation it has a body count.

yeah I'm sure he meant commercial. Hell it was just last week that some "instagram model" and 3 other brain surgeons died on takeoff probably due to overloading resulting in horrible weight and balance issues.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    In Southwest emergency landing, oxygen masks worn incorrectly - Business Insider
    'Almost everyone' in a photo of Southwest's emergency landing wore their oxygen mask 'wrong,' says a former flight attendant

well, to be fair everyone looks pretty chill in that pic. I bet it was taken at 10,000 feet. I bet they were much better about it at 32,000 feet. It's really not necessary at 10,000 anyway.

Need some background on the pic to make any thoughts. Ideally you cover both mouth and nose with the mask to get as much oxygen as you can. We put nasal cannula oxygen on people who are mouth breathers because just the negative pressure in an expanding chest pulls air in the nose. That's fine if you just need a little bit of oxygen. It you need a lot of supplemental then you really need to go mouth and nose. Conversely if you're mouth breathing into the mask over your mouth, you'll still entrain some air through your nose but will be getting most via the mask on your mouth.

It's an odd scenario where they tell you to mask up first and THEN help the smaller people around you. But kids are tough and we use more oxygen, and if we pass out then we can't help much.

Glad I wasn't on that flight. Talk about PTSD for fear of flying. Was she really in an aisle seat? I had heard that somewhere.

Last edited:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    well, to be fair everyone looks pretty chill in that pic. I bet it was taken at 10,000 feet. I bet they were much better about it at 32,000 feet. It's really not necessary at 10,000 anyway.

Need some background on the pic to make any thoughts. Ideally you cover both mouth and nose with the mask to get as much oxygen as you can. We put nasal cannula oxygen on people who are mouth breathers because just the negative pressure in an expanding chest pulls air in the nose. That's fine if you just need a little bit of oxygen. It you need a lot of supplemental then you really need to go mouth and nose. Conversely if you're mouth breathing into the mask over your mouth, you'll still entrain some air through your nose but will be getting most via the mask on your mouth.

It's an odd scenario where they tell you to mask up first and THEN help the smaller people around you. But kids are tough and we use more oxygen, and if we pass out then we can't help much.

Plus the oxygen only flows for about 15 minutes max. The generators in our aircraft max out at 12 minutes per passenger. the oxygen may have been off by the time the pic was taken.

You are right on why they tell you to mask yourself first. You cant help your kid if your phasing in and out. The crew will definitely don their gear before helping anyone else. Keeps the dominoes falling in order if everything really went bad.

Ski

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Indy

Glad I wasn't on that flight. Talk about PTSD for fear of flying. Was she really in an aisle seat? I had heard that somewhere.

From the story I read she was next to the window and wearing a seat belt.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    One pic I saw showed the busted window was about 10 rows behind the front edge of the engine cowling. Whatever hit it was going laterally VERY fast.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Getting a person to fit through a window isnt like having sex where things are made to fit.
    The forces involved in pulling her through the window were immense most definitely breaking bone and ripping off tissue. If she was still conscious she would not have been able to breath not to mention hypothermia occurring very rapidly.
    The passengers who pulled her in and did cpr on her are awesome too and deserve credit for not being wimps

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    florez30
    Top Bottom