• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    I have been in about every gun shop in my area & I can see two types of shops. Ones that have a gunsmith on duty & ones that are just pushing gun sales. The ones that are pushing gun sales are the most uninformed people I have ever met. I stood waiting as another young man was looking at some rifles with the shop worker. The young guy asked to see one of the S&W M&P AR15 & the guy behind the counter said "No I can't let you see those they are for the military or police only, that is what the M&P is for" I turned around & walked out.

HEADKNOCKER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2017
    Clarksville
    Hey indiucky I live off Eastern Blvd. near St. Anthony's & drive past your joint 3-4 times a day & have never found the interest to stop in there or the other 3-4 gun shops that have sprang up around, I might just stop in & see what you got & see about a transfer I need shipped in from over in Louisville, A deal my wife did..
    Stay Safe!!
    Gary/Hk

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    @T-DOGG so because my mom flipped out on me owning a gun I shouldn't try a job I will enjoy? Whatever I appreciate everyone's advice, this could just be a side job something to gain some knowledge in and maybe be serious but I do want to learn more, since I live in noblesville I was going to try Tims shooting range in Westfield iv been there a few times and the guys seem easy to talk to.

Your erratic behavior, lack of firearms knowledge and maturity level are not qualities that would fit well into a position that deals with the public and firearms. I'm looking out for the community on this. Unfortunately, you have a history of making folks nervous on this forum. I'm just simply making others aware. Sorry if this upsets you, but you need to be made aware of the situation at hand as well. I wish you good luck in whatever you decide to apply for, but I strongly recommend you reconsider pursuing firearm related employment.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I dunno... I have seen some older guys working at gun stores before and I think a LGS has to be careful with them. They are often quirky and opinionated. No one wants to go in and buy a gun from some old guy that thinks they know more than the customer.

IDK..I've seen many a time when the old guy definitely knew more than the customer...but it also matters how it's handled!

I've seen a lot of ignorant individuals come into a gun shop...make some pretty stupid and arrogant, and many times, incorrect statements...and come out looking like the ignorant individual (idiot) they are...and mainly due to their own attitudes/actions/statements!

Then, again, I've seen a few individuals come in (regardless of the level of gun knowledge) and ask questions in a respectful manner, that got themselves treated with respect...which resulted in a conversation about guns, in which (quite often) learning occurred both ways!

Personally, I don't think I would want to work in a LGS...and have to listen to some of the incorrect stuff that comes out of people's mouths and have to stand their and look at them and think what an idiot this person is...and still have to smile and say, 'No...it really doesn't work that way!'

Best of luck to the OP though...if you take the time to do your research and educate yourself about the items out for sale in the shop, and put yourself on a 'learning-curve' for life (guns, ammo, ballistics, assessories, etc.)... you'd at least be on the right foot!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Hey indiucky I live off Eastern Blvd. near St. Anthony's & drive past your joint 3-4 times a day & have never found the interest to stop in there or the other 3-4 gun shops that have sprang up around, I might just stop in & see what you got & see about a transfer I need shipped in from over in Louisville, A deal my wife did..
    Stay Safe!!
    Gary/Hk
    If you go to his shop, allow a couple of hours. Look around, pull up a stool and get ready to hear some great stories. :yesway:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Stay Safe!!
    Gary/Hk

Stop in any time....

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have been working Part-time for a shop for most of 8 years. My thoughts are; It is very important to treat the Customers like you would want to be treated if you are shopping. Acknowledge the customer when they enter the store and let them shop. I have learned that most customers will ask for help if they have a question or are looking for something specific. There are some that get annoyed if they are not given your utmost attention. If you don't know something , admit it but be willing to find the answer. I try to keep up to date on new releases and information available. I also try to learn as much as possible about firearms that I am specifically interested in. I have a lot of people ask me questions about the Ruger 10/22, MK series handguns, Cz scorpions and most anything related to Rimfire. I have gotten my Armorers Certificate for Ar-15, Glock and Smith. Having good information to pass on to the customer is important because if you make a mistake everyone will know with Social media.

OP, listen to Kenny... he knows that which he speaks of, and has been more helpful during our interactions than about 99.9% of the other folks I have interacted with that work in gun stores.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    I went back and read some of the OP posts. I'm with T-DOGG. This guy might do better in other vocations......

After reviewing that thread... If the OP takes a job at a gun shop, naming the shop would be a public service.

Not sure why anyone would stand around, listen to ignorance all day, and get guns pointed at them, all for around $10 an hour anyway.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Based on past posts, unless your financial and living situations have improved, the guns tore is the last place to be an employee, there's little to no money in it. Doing something you think you like is cool, until rent and car payments and groceries come due.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    While everyone's dog piling on Burt, how about remembering that everyone here (except maybe churchmouse) started off with less knowledge and maybe acted a little different than know.

So, maybe his time here has added to his knowledge and affected his attitude. Maybe not, but why assume that?
    Course, maybe he learned sometimes that people like to dog pile on people and make them feel bad.

Top Bottom