• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bb7448

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2016
    Bloomington
    I am an Engineer, BA ME, that worked his way though college while becoming a Journeyman toolmaker, not just a machinist. I completed online Gunsmith Class (not cheap) but beneficial, to set myself up for retirement activity. I have my own machine shop and do custom work. I do work for friends and people I know only, no walk-ins, no one is allowed in shop except closest friends an brothers. Its expensive to set yourself up with the machine tools, proper hand tools, equipment and instruments along with the intelligence and experience to achieve the knowledge to operate all and to be good at it. It takes passion, I started in 1977, and I'm 61 years of age. the best work is putting firearms back together that people take apart, easy money$$$. and NO they don't get to watch you do it because they will try, screw it up and get hurt or dead and blame it on you because you showed them. don't work on OPS unless you know what you are doing, be an LLC and be bonded.
    That being said, I could not work in a "store that sells guns".

watch guy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2016
    SE Michigan
    It would be like the time I worked in a men's clothing store back in the 80's. Seemed like I had to pay more money than I made. I did dress good though!!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I am an Engineer, BA ME, that worked his way though college while becoming a Journeyman toolmaker, not just a machinist. I completed online Gunsmith Class (not cheap) but beneficial, to set myself up for retirement activity. I have my own machine shop and do custom work. I do work for friends and people I know only, no walk-ins, no one is allowed in shop except closest friends an brothers. Its expensive to set yourself up with the machine tools, proper hand tools, equipment and instruments along with the intelligence and experience to achieve the knowledge to operate all and to be good at it. It takes passion, I started in 1977, and I'm 61 years of age. the best work is putting firearms back together that people take apart, easy money$$$. and NO they don't get to watch you do it because they will try, screw it up and get hurt or dead and blame it on you because you showed them. don't work on OPS unless you know what you are doing, be an LLC and be bonded.
    That being said, I could not work in a "store that sells guns".

Welcome to INGO! :ingo:

Hope you hang out and spread your professional knowledge. Also, I'm in your neighborhood without a local go to 'smith.

sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    I work part time in a local, family owned gun shop. It is a childhood dream come true. I would work for free if they would let me. I sometimes go in and volunteer to work. But I'm nuts, I have a day job that pays the bills and I don't take much seriously. Except ATF and those pesky 4473's. Over the years, I have been treated good, bad and ugly by various shops. Some sales personnel hate "tire kickers". I like them. I'll show them every gun in the case and tell what I know about them. I really like 1st time buyers that don't know what they want. My advice is. Hang out in a shop, get to know the owner, buy a few guns and all your ammo and accessories there. Get to know them!!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I work part time in a local, family owned gun shop. It is a childhood dream come true. I would work for free if they would let me. I sometimes go in and volunteer to work. But I'm nuts, I have a day job that pays the bills and I don't take much seriously. Except ATF and those pesky 4473's. Over the years, I have been treated good, bad and ugly by various shops. Some sales personnel hate "tire kickers". I like them. I'll show them every gun in the case and tell what I know about them. I really like 1st time buyers that don't know what they want. My advice is. Hang out in a shop, get to know the owner, buy a few guns and all your ammo and accessories there. Get to know them!!

Knowing you I would believe this. I can see you doing this.
    PM me the shop name please. I would love to come in and play tire kicker...:):

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have been helping my friend at his gun shop through the holidays. I think it is a lot of fun. I am a pretty social person and really like working the counter. Before Christmas I got to help people pick out gifts and after Christmas I got to see the excitement those gifts brought to the recipients. Every gun that I sell feels like a I am finding it a loving home. Poor lil guys just want to be loved. :): Yeah there are some occasional problematic customers but compared to my regular job this is stress free. The shop owner commented about how I was always happy. Keep in mind that I have a pretty good job and this is something I do for fun. Plus I really like guns. As for the money, so far I am about -$800 in the hole. I will admit that I have learned some interesting stuff and have a new appreciation and understanding about the average consumer/gun owner.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland

My lgs is Winchester's Buckshot. I'd do this in a heartbeat if time and money weren't concerns, and if they were crazy enough to let me. My only problem is that right now things seem to be pretty slow. I like all of the wheeling and dealing around Christmas.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    The attitude of sales people in gun shops would keep me from working in one. I recently rebuked a salesman in Blythe's for stepping in front of me while I had a pistol in my hand. He made the statement that I have heard all to often, I'm used to it.

Inducky recently made the statement that he expects to die either by the hand of a robber or an "It's not loaded idiot" (paraphrase not quote)

I was building a house for the son of the north Hammond gun shop owner when his dad was shot by gang bangers he refused to sell 9mm to. A year later his mom was killed in the same shop.

RIP Mr. & Mrs. Frank Freund.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Having just recently gone through some safety training with the local gun shop I can tell you that gun handling in a retail environment is unique. There is really no safe direction inside a building. Plus you have guns on display and people moving around. The worst are the people bringing in guns to try holsters or those with “mechanical” problems. What I told our staff is 1) we aren’t there to lecture people but it is our responsibility to always demonstrate proper safety and etiquette to the best of our ability. 2) if you see or suspect a safety issue then be calm, be polite, be firm and take control of the situation.

I have seen bunch of boneheaded stuff.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I've worked in two gun shops in my lifetime, the big advantage is getting to check out all of the new inventory and trade-ins before they go in the case.
    That's how I was able to pick up a really nice, like new M-1 carbine and several other really nice firearms.
    But! Sometimes it gets boring just sweeping the floors and wiping the cases picking up brass, oh yeah, I got first shot at the discarded brass to and I'm a re-loader. Me and my son in law have a ton of it. :):

Top Bottom