• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    here's my advice, unless you like low pay, getting loaded guns pointed at you, and being told you are an idiot, dont work at a gun shop!, i do it because i enjoy guns, like helping people, and ITS NOT MY MAIN JOB!!!!!!!!!!, i can quit at any time! working there gets me some "fun money", but not one penny pays any of my bills!

i've met and made good friends working there, and ive has at least 2 loaded guns pointed at me, ive unloaded at least 2 "empty guns" and within the last month been told "you're an idiot" by me telling someone that a .410 shotgun wont damage a taurus judge (he was a "machinist" who said that the copper coating over a lead bullet was harder than the steel in the barrel).

ive never eaten a hot lunch unless i leave the shop, i cant tell you how many people who walk in at closing time "just looking", and are there for an hour.

get used to looking at some really nice guns, that you'll never afford (cause of the low pay) i got to fondle a beautiful styer rifle (2600.00) and a numbers matching (with a numbers matching magazine)ww2 walther p38.

and right now (since the last election) low sales (with no chance of any gun legislation in the next3 years) good luck finding a gun shop thats hiring, since i only work on saturdays, i'm getting sent home early, cause of low sales.

these are just some of my insights, if you want more just say so!

saynation

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2014
    South Bend, IN
    As someone who worked full time at an FFL for five years (2011-2016) I have a few insights as well. Part time is the best option as it offers almost all the perks but none of the drawbacks.

- You will hate the hours after two years. I had no regular schedule. It was usually a different 5 days every week, two weeks advance notice at best. When holiday shopping season comes around you may not have any say in your schedule from Black Friday until mid January.

- You will meet some of the worst people you can ever meet from all walks of life. You may also have to work with them. The absolute worst was a wealthy businessman who treated people like the scum the earth. He insulted my intelligence and morals numerous times and was especially derogatory to the female employees behind their back. Regardless of the price I gave him on something he'd curse me out and tell me I'm screwing him over. He owned 25+ FiveSeven pistols and Wilson Combats entire catalog of 1911's.

- You will meet some of the best people you can ever meet from all walks of life. The business owners who ask you to be on the look out for stuff to add to their collections. The pastors looking to protect their congregations. The retired folks who are full of stories and insights. There were a lot of very genuine good people I remember. You can make some great and interesting connections that you wouldn't be able to find in a normal retail establishment.

- Regardless of how safe your work environment is you WILL eventually be put in a very dangerous situation involving a loaded firearm. It tends to happen sooner than people think. Ask me how I know.

- You will front seat view of the latest and greatest products. Depending on who you work for you may even get first dibs.

- You will have no paycheck. You can pay for rent or food but not both. Fun money is about what it is good for.

GrinderCB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2017
    Greendale
    I too have thought about getting a job a a gunstore but really unless you just wanna sit around all day listening to folks talk about how high everything is & how you don't have what I'm looking for etc. I'd pass..
    And if you think about it.. It would be like a kid in a candy store, every pay check would just go back to the owner on your next firearm purchase..
    I have a buddy that works for one & he's never even got a check, Just a safe full of guns, You know his wife can't stand the place..

I've worked retail before and it's all the same. People come in looking for advice and recommendations and if you don't tell them what they want to hear they argue. As far as trying to get a job in a gun store I'd say go for it. There's more to it than knowing guns. You'll have to be able to maintain a till (cash register), keep the store clean, shelves stocked, manage inventory, etc. If you open or close the store you'll have before- or after-hours duties like securing some if not all inventory, operating the alarm system, etc. Lots more to it than talking about guns to the customers.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    While everyone's dog piling on Burt, how about remembering that everyone here (except maybe churchmouse) started off with less knowledge and maybe acted a little different than know.

So, maybe his time here has added to his knowledge and affected his attitude. Maybe not, but why assume that?
    Course, maybe he learned sometimes that people like to dog pile on people and make them feel bad.
    The link I posted was from March of this year and he's been a member since July of 2012. At the age of 25 (actually we would have been 26-27 in 2011), voluntarily forfeited possession of his gun because of a concerned Priest and his mother. That entire situation, based off HIS posts, leaves many unanswered questions.

@ Burt Gummer
    Why did it take 6 years to get your gun back?

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    @T DOGG because i lived with family until I got my own place and I didn't have a carry permit, and life got really busy. And the priest my brother in law I don't know why he did what he did probably thought the worst case cenerio, and I'm sure he is anti gun and my mom same thing, so I posted about the possibility of working in a gun shop cause I want to learn more not to be ridiculed about my past posts and if you T DOGG can only do that please don't reply I only need helpful advice

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Working in a gun shop.........

is that being the guy in the back that fixes/cleans stuff?

Or the guy that does orders, answers phones?

Or..............the poor slob behind the counter?

My .02 be the guy in the back. Ol Don Lengel had it all figured out :)
    ( come out only when you want to).

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    There are some old farts in gun shops.
    Some of them are pretty knowledgeable. Consider their grumpiness a plus.
    Others are just retired guys that need a few hrs away from the old lady..........maybe hobbyists, but still clueless.
    Ignore them.
    Even the meanest opinionated old fart, if he knows what's what........will have some professionalism, and check on you when you come in, ask what you need..........and be possibly "standoffish" after that. He knows stuff, and doesn't have to blow smoke up people's arses.

Last edited:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    There are some old farts in gun shops.
    Some of them are pretty knowledgeable. Consider their grumpiness a plus.
    Others are just retired guys that need a few hrs away from the old lady..........maybe hobbyists, but still clueless.
    Ignore them.
    Even the meanest opinionated old fart, if he knows what's what........will have some professionalism, and check on you rather quickly as you come in, ask what you need..........and be possibly "standoffish" after that. He knows stuff, and doesn't have to blow smoke up people's arses.

And the old fart doesn't see any need to blow smoke up someone's arse. He'll tell you up front "I don't know" or "I'm not sure".

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Lengel's Gun Shop...those were the days. Personally preferred Norm's on US 30 but Lengels was a gem. I recall (at least I think I recall correctly???) Lengel's used to cash paychecks so you could spend it before your wife used it for silly things like food and rent.
    Yea, T-DOGG - stop causing trouble!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I remember Herb at Norms.
    Pops traded in his old Savage and he asked him if he shot chucks with it or clubbed them to death LOL.
    Norms had all sorts of stuff, the Sorel boots, Wenona canoes.......Browning archery.
    Cool place.
    Liked the billboards too

"Whoa!"

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Grew up shooting/reloading, my dad had an FFL and lots of gun buds.
    So that, and my own interests............has me knowing some stuff, about some stuff.
    When I worked in a gunshop and somebody asked me something I didn't know...........I told em I didn't know, and pointed them toward somebody that did.
    I didn't see it as a learning opportunity either.......some stuff I don't care to know.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Based on past posts, unless your financial and living situations have improved, the guns tore is the last place to be an employee, there's little to no money in it. Doing something you think you like is cool, until rent and car payments and groceries come due.
    Important enough to say again. Of course I think everything I say is important so...

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    @T DOGG because i lived with family until I got my own place and I didn't have a carry permit, and life got really busy. And the priest my brother in law I don't know why he did what he did probably thought the worst case cenerio, and I'm sure he is anti gun and my mom same thing, so I posted about the possibility of working in a gun shop cause I want to learn more not to be ridiculed about my past posts and if you T DOGG can only do that please don't reply I only need helpful advice

How could you fill out paper work in a gun shop? Most of us aren't english scholars, but we have an idea of how to write a sentence. Reading back through your posts blaming everyone for your mom, your priest, your girlfriend and your lost jobs I've yet to see a period. Work on how you present yourself and personal accountability. Then find a job. You will not raise a family on gun shop wages, so learn a trade first.

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    I've worked in a gun shop part-time for the last 3+ years. Yeah it's a Rural King and contrary to some comments some of the people that work there know a little bit about firearm's:):. I also worked part-time at another mom and pop shop for a while. Be honest about what you don't know and be willing to find out and learn. I'd say the thing I enjoy the most is helping a 1st time buyer find the right one for them . Be ready to educate and be educated. I've learned as much from my customers as they have from me. Be ready for the know it all's and mall ninjas. They a great for a laugh. Some on the things people say a hilarious. Enjoy the laugh and move one. You can't fix some people lol. Be ready to have guns pointed at you. That's why you make sure it's empty when you hand it to them. I don't even think twice about it anymore, although sometimes I do put my hands up and say don't shoot lol. No matter what they tell you the gun the hand you is always loaded lol. I tend to ask one time if they would like to see anything. If they say no I leave them alone. If they need me they know where to find me. Most of all have fun and don't let idiots get under your skin. I struggle with the last part. Honestly I probably should have been let go a few times for telling it like it is but I'm glad a haven't been. Yet ! Good luck.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    How could you fill out paper work in a gun shop? Most of us aren't english scholars, but we have an idea of how to write a sentence. Reading back through your posts blaming everyone for your mom, your priest, your girlfriend and your lost jobs I've yet to see a period. Work on how you present yourself and personal accountability. Then find a job. You will not raise a family on gun shop wages, so learn a trade first.

:thumbsup:

I get freaked with every one of these threads.

dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    I've worked in a gun shop part-time for the last 3+ years. Yeah it's a Rural King and contrary to some comments some of the people that work there know a little bit about firearm's:):. I also worked part-time at another mom and pop shop for a while. Be honest about what you don't know and be willing to find out and learn. I'd say the thing I enjoy the most is helping a 1st time buyer find the right one for them . Be ready to educate and be educated. I've learned as much from my customers as they have from me. Be ready for the know it all's and mall ninjas. They a great for a laugh. Some on the things people say a hilarious. Enjoy the laugh and move one. You can't fix some people lol. Be ready to have guns pointed at you. That's why you make sure it's empty when you hand it to them. I don't even think twice about it anymore, although sometimes I do put my hands up and say don't shoot lol. No matter what they tell you the gun the hand you is always loaded lol. I tend to ask one time if they would like to see anything. If they say no I leave them alone. If they need me they know where to find me. Most of all have fun and don't let idiots get under your skin. I struggle with the last part. Honestly I probably should have been let go a few times for telling it like it is but I'm glad a haven't been. Yet ! Good luck.

This could be me, except I sell guns 2 days a week for BigR. Everything he says reflects my experience in spades.

Well said.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I talked to old man Blythe one time and he said he didn't want gun guys he wanted salesmen.

Top Bottom