• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    Interesting thought, but getting the government involved means, fee's , delay's, names in a database(just long enough to check the system we swear) and who knows what else. Remember when indiana LTC was nics exempt , then the government wanted em to deny vets on bogus mental health issues, and the state told em to suck it, and then bam no more exemption. The problem, as it usually is, is that we just cant seem to get the criminals to obey the laws, heh. Oh and has been decided on more than one occasion, the 5th amnendment protects against self incrimination(bad guys registering their illegal guns).

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Some members of Congress want to introduce legislation that will require universal background checks for all gun purchases. I do not know why gun owners are opposed to this idea.

Any type of universal background check equates to registration, and is about the worst thing I can imagine for the survival of the 2A.

If a 4473 is required for every transfer, then the feds will next want to inspect your home to see if you actually have the weapons you bought to make sure you didn't sell them illegally (because of course, criminals won't submit to universal background checks!). We have already seen bill in CO proposing exactly that. And of course, they will eventually decide you don't "need" certain weapons, and come to confiscate them--at which time you can't say that you lost them or they will prosecute you for not reporting the weapon as stolen or lost...they know exactly which guns you own, and that equates to registration. Registration has always, always has led to confiscation.

That all fits my definition of tyranny. Just think it through man...

Last edited:

Ramvtr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    It's a matter of common sense really, and I use those words "common sense" lightly, but you wouldn't any more give your car keys to a drunk than you would sell or give a gun to someone you didn't know or at least make sure they were legally allow to possess a firearm. Universal background checks are just the beginning of what our leftwing polititions have in mind, so I'm not at all in favor of it. It just sounds like a means to an end of gun ownership as we know it here in the USA. Registration, however is what scares me most. So there it is. That's what I think.

Owen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Fishers
    It's a foot in the door towards registration and eventually confiscation.
    Law abiding citizens already have plenty of infringement of their right to keep and bear arms. I will fight ANY further encroachment. I joined the NRA to support them doing just that. (They kinda drive me crazy with all the junk mail but I'll put up with it since they're doing good work)

Furthermore, I don't believe it would do anything to reduce crime. It is just feel good crap to make politicians look like they are doing something.

Owen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Fishers
    It's a foot in the door towards registration and eventually confiscation.
    Law abiding citizens already have plenty of infringement of their right to keep and bear arms. I will fight ANY further encroachment. I joined the NRA to support them doing just that. (They kinda drive me crazy with all the junk mail but I'll put up with it since they're doing good work)

Furthermore, I don't believe it would do anything to reduce crime. It is just feel good crap to make politicians look like they are doing something.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    Any type of universal background check equates to registration, and is about the worst thing I can imagine for the survival of the 2A.

This. It's backdoor registration.

Think about this: how does the government enforce a "universal background check" when they don't know what guns you have?

They can't. And yes - they already know that. But "universal background check" is just a step into the next phase: universal registration.

They have to know what you own in order to know that you're following the law. Once they have all gun owners registered...well, I'll let you figure out what comes next.

So-called universal background check just gives them a step to registration, does nothing for crime (you really think gangster killer is going to subject himself to a background check?) and only serve to violate the rights of law abiding citizens.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    The DOJ has already said that Universal Background Checks will not work without Registration. Check the NRA-ILA letter to Congress for more info.

Registration of course only works with periodic audits and inspections. See the current bill proposed in CO allowing annual in-home checks by the Sheriff.

I am opposed to any additional unconstitutional infringements of my rights. Gun control laws are not about keeping people safe. As someone else said, "Think it through, man".

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well I can tell I should have kept my mouth shut. sorry ingo, just wanted to be informed

Don't apologize.
    You asked a question and made a statement.
    It is being answered.
    Do not think you are being attacked because the question is being answered and because people have a different point of view.

I used to disagree with the OCers (in my head). I always CC'd.
    But then I paid attention to a viewpoint counter to mine.
    And found out I agreed with a lot of what they said.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    I am opposed and you should be ashamed to call yourself an American.
    :)

All necessary and legal regulation of firearms has already been spelled out for us. It's even quite simple to understand.
    Yes, it is.

I do not believe in the current "UNIVERSAL BACKGROUND CHECKS"

I do, however believe that a person should be vetted in some way, prior to purchase...
    "Vetted" by whom?
    The point here is, people, we need to figure something out...
    No, "we" don't need to figure a damn thing out. A bunch of weak-kneed, lilly-livered, yellow-bellied communist **********s are out to push their agenda to further infringe on the right of the American people to keep and bear arms, using their usual tactics of guilt trip and cries to "do something" to "keep guns out of ____ hands", under the pretext of "public safety".

reesez

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Chevyville
    I am very opposed to it. It is the first big step to confiscation. I feel the government will start putting severe restrictions on a background check if this happens, which would impede at least 60% of Americans who otherwise can still buy firearms. No good can come from this.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Yeah, right. More laws will work. There are a bunch of guys in DC that agree with you. I think you should have to at least show your high school diploma before you can express you opinion or and of you 1st amendment rights to prove you are intelligent enough to do so.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I foresee a law requiring all sales to go through an FFL. The two parties walk into a gunstore, buyer fills out the 4473 the FFL calls NCIS and gets a yes or no. Better would be the 4473 go straight into a shredder afterwards but we all know that the feds will want the copies kept so they have their "traceability". If an individual could call up the NCIS number, put in a drivers license or SSN and get a yes or no over the phone, that might be tolerable but still not good.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Well I can tell I should have kept my mouth shut. sorry ingo, just wanted to be informed
    No, don't keep your mouth shut. Always think and ask questions like you did.
    You will gain info and be able to make more informed choices.
    We still have the right to think for ourselves.
    Any decision we make today will have consequences on what transpires in our lives tomorrow.

Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    After all these years , this Constitution and freedom thing still scares people. Thinking for yourself, and deciding what you can or cannot do without input from someone else. Problem is a lot of people are dependent on the government to tell them what freedom they have, and it's limits. Big Brother is doing a fine job of indoctrinating large segments of the population.

The second amendment is as straight forward as it gets, easy to understand, in common english. I just don't understand why so many people are so afraid to use it. Think for yourself, don't let the government do it for you.

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County
    I foresee a law requiring all sales to go through an FFL. The two parties walk into a gunstore, buyer fills out the 4473 the FFL calls NCIS and gets a yes or no. Better would be the 4473 go straight into a shredder afterwards but we all know that the feds will want the copies kept so they have their "traceability". If an individual could call up the NCIS number, put in a drivers license or SSN and get a yes or no over the phone, that might be tolerable but still not good.

For your scenario to be enforceable at all, there would have to be mandatory registration like with cars and the BMV. If not, how would the .gov know whether a private sale ever took place or not? That leads us to a huge .gov investment in time and resources to maintain a system like the one Canada just shut down.

I don't see how draining further resources from a system that can't put a dent in the flow of illegal immigrants, drugs, and counterfeit goods coming into the country, is going to do anything to keep criminals from going around any new gun registration process either.

What we would be left with is a bureaucracy that is a burden on the tax payer, an inpediment to private gun ownership, and a direct path to confiscation, but will do little or nothing to keep anyone safer. Someone please explain how this is in any way, shape, or form "common sense" legislation. :dunno:

Last edited:

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Some members of Congress want to introduce legislation that will require universal background checks for all gun purchases. I do not know why gun owners are opposed to this idea.

I want to write a letter to one of our senators if he would introduce a bill saying that if people want to purchase firearms from a private seller the buyer needs to have a ltch. Since most private sellers won't sell a pistol without seeing a ltch, is it a bad idea if it became law applying to long gun and pistol private sales.

Any input is appreciated.

The devil is ALWAYS in the details? Just HOW will this be accomplished? How will I run a background check on you? Who will foot the bill for this? Costs are nothing more than a TAX, why is a GUN sale then taxed, when a private used lawn mower sale isn't?

Those are just a couple. I could list pages why this is a bad idea. Probably the most frightening reason is that checks leave a trail. A trail that can be compiled into a registry. And the ONLY purpose of a registry is so that the gov't KNOWS where all the guns are. And why? So they know where to go to go get them.

If you think this isn't the goal of the liberals in this country, then you are a fool.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I require that anyone I buy from has evidence of a background check (Ltch) and I'm happy to provide that same evidence when I purchase a gun.
    Since I think it is already the right thing for responsible gun owners to do I have no heartburn over it being a legal requirement.

Top Bottom