• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    There is no reason for the second amendment to give up anything. It helps nothing. The lies they tell about it being about saving lives is to get support for them to take the second amendment apart. The idea is to take our guns. Then they can do what ever they want.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    There is no reason for the second amendment to give up anything. It helps nothing. The lies they tell about it being about saving lives is to get support for them to take the second amendment apart. The idea is to take our guns. Then they can do what ever they want.
    It's not just about the 2A only. They are wanting to do away with freedom and all rights.
    They want a land where there are no individuals or thinkers.
    They want total control.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    A "Universal" background check is ultimately a back door to implementing complete firearm registration. While that may not be part of the current discussion, complete registration is the only method by which a "Universal" background check becomes enforceable. That is not acceptable! While registration may not be part of the legislation today, I have no doubt it would be the next “reasonable restriction” needed to close a perceived “loophole.” This is all a very slippery slope!

Also note that private firearm transfers (a.k.a the “gun show loophole”) are ONLY allowed to take place between two residents of the same state. This means that private transfers are an INTRA-state issue, and should be left to the states. Some states already regulate private firearm transfers and that is their right, but it should not be forced on the states since the federal government has already regulated the interstate commerce over which it has authority!

Closing this "gunshow loophole"
    1) is an INTRAstate issue, and shouldn't be regulated by the federal government. That's why current law regulates private sales across state lines only. This makes it a 10th Amendment issue in addition to the 2nd.
    2) won't prevent the straw purchases already used to put guns in the wrong hands and circumvent the NICS
    3) is not enforceable without registration. I believe this to be the ultimate goal behind the govt's push for "universal" background checks, to be able to trace guns cradle to grave.

People get swept up in this feeling that we have to do SOMETHING to make the world safer and our rights continue to be further and further eroded... After all, it's just a 5 minute check, and we "have nothing to hide," right? (Sounds like the reason prosecutors get you to waive the 5th).

-rvb

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    We had less crime when there were no background checks on anyone for any firearm purchase anywhere.

Of course, it's not about crime. That's merely plausible political cover.

We should be taking the offensive, demanding the elimination of so-called "gun free" zones (i.e. defense free zones), and demanding that all gun laws be rolled back to 1933.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I've said it before and I'll keep saying it. There's no bigger proponents or enforcers of gun control laws than gun owners. We have gun owners reporting reporting other gun owners for running a "business" for profit dealing guns in the belief that it will protect the few rights we still have. If universal background checks pass, these same gun owners will report other gun owners who sell without background checks in the belief that it will protect the few rights we have left. If a national registration passes, these same gun owners will report other gun owners who don't register their guns in the belief that it will protect the few rights we have left.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    Some members of Congress want to introduce legislation that will require universal background checks for all gun purchases. I do not know why gun owners are opposed to this idea.

I want to write a letter to one of our senators if he would introduce a bill saying that if people want to purchase firearms from a private seller the buyer needs to have a ltch. Since most private sellers won't sell a pistol without seeing a ltch, is it a bad idea if it became law applying to long gun and pistol private sales.

Any input is appreciated.

Well I can tell I should have kept my mouth shut. sorry ingo, just wanted to be informed

You asked. INGO answered. Now you know.

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    I see both sides going on here. I do agree with what others have said that many of the tactics being implemented are meant to divide individuals that are on the same side, fighting to keep their rights as Americans in this nation. We can't let the government further restrict our rights. I believe one of the big issues that has only been touched on a little bit in this thread is the social aspect at play. I posted in another thread an incident i had where a manager at BK asked me to cover my firearm to prevent it from making others nervous. All of this is being driven by the media socializing individuals to automatically equate guns to crime, death, and other bad stereotypes. The media is furthering the problem by teaching people to be afraid of firearms, rather than to learn to respect them as all responsible gun owners have known for many years.

As many have said, gun laws don't stop crime. Criminals still get guns, and crimes still happen no matter what laws are passed. Further gun laws will not stop crime, but will only hurt responsible gun owners.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Some members of Congress want to introduce legislation that will require universal background checks for all gun purchases. I do not know why gun owners are opposed to this idea.

I want to write a letter to one of our senators if he would introduce a bill saying that if people want to purchase firearms from a private seller the buyer needs to have a ltch. Since most private sellers won't sell a pistol without seeing a ltch, is it a bad idea if it became law applying to long gun and pistol private sales.

In my opinion you are pretty much out of your mind! First you don't know why gun owners are opposed to Universal Background checks! DUH First you couldn't give a gun to your brother or children without paying (today $25 - $30 ~ tomorrow $50 ~ $100? if REQUIRED) to run the gun through an FFL. Second a lot of guns are purchased without by persons that never "carry" for home defense. Many widows or single women and other homeowners want a weapon only for home defense. Third (AND THIS IS THE BIG ONE) ALL TRANSFERS THROUGH AN FFL ARE ENTERED INTO THEIR BOOKS. These books are ALL available to inspection by ATF AT ANY TIME. They must be retained FOREVER and TURNED in to the ATF when the dealer closes his business. If you are still not understanding - THIS MEANS ALL FIREARMS ARE NOW REGISTERED AND IF LIBERALS HAVE THEIR WAY WILL BE ON A LIST FOR CONFISCATION AS SOON AS THEY CAN FIGURE OUT HOW TO MAKE IT A LAW. I honestly cannot comprehend how anyone with even a little regard for the 2nd amendment could make the statement you did. I am disgusted.

AZ D

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    NWI
    Any type of universal background check equates to registration, and is about the worst thing I can imagine for the survival of the 2A.

If a 4473 is required for every transfer, then the feds will next want to inspect your home to see if you actually have the weapons you bought to make sure you didn't sell them illegally (because of course, criminals won't submit to universal background checks!). We have already seen bill in CO proposing exactly that. And of course, they will eventually decide you don't "need" certain weapons, and come to confiscate them--at which time you can't say that you lost them or they will prosecute you for not reporting the weapon as stolen or lost...they know exactly which guns you own, and that equates to registration. Registration has always, always has led to confiscation.

That all fits my definition of tyranny. Just think it through man...

Although not a Federal law, it looks like we have a state (maybe two) that's going to cross this line! Complete registration! They have already stated, that part of the requirement, is going to be an annual home inspection, by local law enforcement!

thatgtrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012

Mostly it's just that background checks don't work on criminals. So it's not really a practical way to reduce gun related crime.

Ignore everyone who jumps down your throat. You have to have a think skin on forums.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    In my opinion you are pretty much out of your mind! First you don't know why gun owners are opposed to Universal Background checks! DUH First you couldn't give a gun to your brother or children without paying (today $25 - $30 ~ tomorrow $50 ~ $100? if REQUIRED) to run the gun through an FFL. Second a lot of guns are purchased without by persons that never "carry" for home defense. Many widows or single women and other homeowners want a weapon only for home defense. Third (AND THIS IS THE BIG ONE) ALL TRANSFERS THROUGH AN FFL ARE ENTERED INTO THEIR BOOKS. These books are ALL available to inspection by ATF AT ANY TIME. They must be retained FOREVER and TURNED in to the ATF when the dealer closes his business. If you are still not understanding - THIS MEANS ALL FIREARMS ARE NOW REGISTERED AND IF LIBERALS HAVE THEIR WAY WILL BE ON A LIST FOR CONFISCATION AS SOON AS THEY CAN FIGURE OUT HOW TO MAKE IT A LAW. I honestly cannot comprehend how anyone with even a little regard for the 2nd amendment could make the statement you did. I am disgusted.

From my frequent contact with other gun owners, I think the silent majority tend to disagree with you.

Stating disgust or calling somebody un-American or whatever because they disagree with your opinions may not help support your position. In different terms I think it is better if the far right and the right and the middle don't split themselves up & make things easy for the left.

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    No more checks, been checked and re-checked enough:

Numerious times for firearms p/urchases
    LTCH background check(currently waiting)
    When in the Navy, checks for security clearences---worked for Flag Officers:FAUCINCPAC/CINCPACFLT/JCS
    They already know all about me.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    From my frequent contact with other gun owners, I think the silent majority tend to disagree with you.

Stating disgust or calling somebody un-American or whatever because they disagree with your opinions may not help support your position. In different terms I think it is better if the far right and the right and the middle don't split themselves up & make things easy for the left.

Have you looked at the words on your avatar?

ironman870

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    NE
    I see both sides of the issue here. No, background checks will not work. Criminals will pick up a gun illegally no matter what. But at the same time, I have nothing to hide nor do i want it to look like i do.

I guess i am confused on guns "being in a persons name" here in Indiana though. In a previous thread i posted, i read it as guns in Indiana arent registered to the owners name? Am i correct? But here i read it as they are because if a gun store closes down they have records of all previous sales made. Somebody fill me in. lol

heres the thread
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general_firearms_discussion/274040-ltch_question.html

"Indiana has no "registration"

Last edited:
    Top Bottom