Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Taurus wheel gun? Yes

Taurus semi auto? No

I concur.

One of the first FFL purchases of a handgun that I did after I bought my Colt Custom Series 70 (I am old, what of it) was a Taurus M82 for $169.

Attention, Millennials, this is a revolver:

dsc08116.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

Snot the ever living snot out of it. Loaded up .38s on my Dillon 450 set up in my apartment living room and took .50 ammo cans full of it to the range. What a great gun.:D

Last edited:

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    No.

There are much better brands that can be had for a little more than 100 bucks or so. There is a reason they are the price they are and I believe you get what you pay for in my experience. I also always hear warranty issues with them.

SpartanHD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2016
    West Lafayette
    I've owned a 24-7 G2 9mm full size, 357 6" revolver and a stainless 1911. The 9mm was a good gun for $300 new. Went bang every time I shot it. Had issues with the revolver locking up and sent it down the road. Still have the 1911 and the grip safety has figment issues and I've had two jams in about 100rds. It's hit or miss. You may have to work on them but decent guns if that is what you can afford. I honestly will probably never buy another one unless it's a sweet deal from a buddy. But I don't think my Friends have many either.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    As many have said:
    Revolver - OK
    Semi auto - NO WAY.
    I bought a PT945 and it was trash. Hollow points about a 50/50 chance of a ftf. Hollowpoints and FMJ again had about a 50/50 chance of stove pipe. Got rid of it quickly.
    Revolver is a 5 shot 38 special. Titanium with ported snub barrel. I have enjoyed shooting the revolver and have not had any issues. I am glad the gun was factory ported, as the titanium frame is so light the 5 rounds of 38spcl. seem to double the weight of the revolver.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Only you can decide if your life is important enough to spend an extra $150 - $300 to obtain a proven defensive tool trusted by people who actively go into harm's way vs. a second or third rate bargain basement pistol from a company with a history of failures.

On the other hand, if it's just a recreational shooter.....knock yourself out.

well put sir.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    When I was first looking to pick up a single stack carry 9mm the Taurus price point was attractive.

I read too many mixed reviews on reliability / quality control.

Ended up trying a couple Kahrs and settled on Glock.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Anyone have any experience with the Taurus PT709 Slim? I have been thinking of getting one for just summer time carry (shorts weather) instead of the Ruger that I normally carry? Buds Guns reviews on it are really good (85% are 5 Stars) but I thought I'd ask those on here who might have owned one or currently own one for their opinion.

5 stars:
    85% (133 of 157)
    4 stars:
    9% (13 of 157)
    3 stars:
    3% (5 of 157)
    2 stars:
    2% (4 of 157)
    1 star:
    1% (2 of 157)

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    My first firearm was a Taurus PT145. Sort of an in-between model with features from both Gen 1 and Gen 2.

I didn't realize how much it sucked til I started renting guns and feeling the massive difference. I was shooting my new 45 and went back to the Taurus "just cuz" and I couldn't believe how bad it was.

Oh well. I can maybe get a few bucks out of the class action suit but I will probably send it back to have the recall work done on it and then keep it for sentimentality.

So unless they're MASSIVELY better now than they were in 2004, I will never buy another Taurus.

Top Bottom