• ...and so much more!
  • tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    To echo the sentiment of many before me. Revolvers are typically good to go. I have had a couple Model 85's and they were great. I have shot a couple of my buddies Taurus revolvers and they are solid. One of my first handguns was a Taurus PT99 that I shot the snot out of and it never missed a beat. My wife has a PT709 9mm that has performed well, despite the trigger. I have had positive experiences with Taurus products, but have admittedly stayed away from the common problem guns like the TCP and many of the PT series pistols.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    This review from a couple years ago made me think about a 709. Zero failures after 1050 rounds, only the Walther PPS and Glock 43 were with it in the end.
    Guns & Ammo's Single Stack 9mm Shootout (Updated) - Guns & Ammo

1. Fantastic review of "on the range" practice: loved it. Read every word and saved it in my cmp.
    2. I bought a used Slim, but I sent it back to Taurus.
    3. Before I sell it, perhaps I'll give another chance, but it's competing with the Ruger LC9 and a Sig 290RS now.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I would and I wouldn't.
    I would NOT buy anything small such as the TCP 380...
    Had one, jammed almost every other round.

Had a couple of the 24/7 pros and they went bang everytime. I did trade them off for other brands as they never felt quite right in my hands. If for some reason I needed a cheaper gun for a trunk gun or something I may consider it.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Taurus Revovler, yes
    Taurus semi-auto, not of their own design (PT92/PT1911), yes
    Taurus semi-auto, of their own design, no

This is generally my experience too, but I still wouldn't buy another. If I absolutely couldn't afford to spend more than Taurus money I'd spend it on a used something else. One exception would be one of the .44 Special revolvers,......those I keep an eye open for and would jump on one if a decent price.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I carried a Model 85 for a backup piece for many years in an ankle rig. Solid shooter but (until broken in) the trigger was very rough.

Updated that about 8 years ago with a 642. Trigger is way smoother.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'd love to have my Raging Bull in .44 mag back. That was a fine shooting revolver.

Mine is in .454 Casull and wears an 8-3/8" ported barrel.
    Someone hit (and totaled) my parked car. The settlement gave me enough to replace the junker car, pay a couple of bills, and pick up a brand new Raging Bull.
    They were new at the time.

Absolutely love that gun.

JoeG1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2016
    Greenwood
    I have an often carry the PT111 G2, its a decent carry option. I will say the trigger is loooooooong and a bit awkward. I will also say it has been one of if not the most reliable gun I personally own. I have around 2k rounds in and not one single malfunction of any kind. It feeds whatever I give it.

I also have a model 44 (.44 mag) for hunting. This has been a GREAT gun. With the magna port the recoil is manageable. I plan to soon use this weapon for a wild boar hunt, and am very confident in its ability.

Don't let the Taurus name scare you off, but do your research. Some are better than others. Me personally I would buy any of their revolvers without hesitation.

Top Bottom