• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aztec777

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2016
    Reno
    My experience has been limited, but very telling.

The first piece I had was a PT-99 and it wasn't bad. I had just gotten out of the Army where I was used to the Beretta. The Taurus always seemed to have something lacking in fit and finish and the parts didn't seem to be as well made. I sold it off.

I have also had their revolvers. The early models seemed okay, but the Tracker series units I had were junk.

All said and done, if you want a piece to play with at the range and it doesn't matter if it works all the time or not, then go for it. If you need a defensive piece, I could not in good conscience recommend ANY Taurus product.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I have and carry a PT111 G2. EDC and use it in IDPA. A couple FTF issues caused by a made in Brazil magazine, since fixed with another made in USA mag. Otherwise, no problems. Eats any ammo I care to put through it.

Patriot3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Kokomo
    I would trust them, but for a starting gun. Something to buy so that you can afford the ammo, holster, range time, etc. that will go with the purchase. If you can buy the more expensive name brand stuff, I would and I would go with Ruger firearms.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I have two Taurus's a Judge and a 1911.
    I had a small problem with my 1911.
    The slide felt loose.
    Taurus paid for the return.
    I traded for it at gun show in Ft Wayne (no receipt).
    I received it back and it shoots great no more problems.
    Yes I would buy a Taurus again.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I drug my Taurus PT99AF 9mm out to the range partially because of this thread. It's a late 80's vintage pre-decocker. I had polished the feed ramp not long after buying it and it has been flawless since. The only thing I'd like is a taller mag release button and a smaller grip. I need to push it pretty hard to get the mags to drop free.

So if you have an early one made by former Beretta employees on former Beretta machines you'll be fine. :):

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    I have an old 357 Taurus that has thousands of rounds through it and I've never had an issue. That being said, I would be hesitant to buy a semi auto Taurus. If it's am issue of money, buy a better brand used instead of a new Taurus.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have an old 357 Taurus that has thousands of rounds through it and I've never had an issue. That being said, I would be hesitant to buy a semi auto Taurus. If it's am issue of money, buy a better brand used instead of a new Taurus.

1. Interestingly enough, I watched a vid recently about Guns and Ammo doing a multi-day testing of all single-stack 9mms selling on the market.
    2. The Taurus 709 Slim was 1 of only 3 that made it to 1000 rounds w/o a misfire, the Glock 43 and Walther PPS being the other two.
    3. As a newbie to the 9mm (since May) imagine my surprise when I realized I owned 2 of the 3 best that they tested (709 & PPS) especially after the bashing I learned about the Taurus here.
    4. I have to make a decision on whether to sell the 709 or my Ruger LC9, which I like b/c I need a very small for CC.
    5. The Walther I bought b/c I thought I'd get a little bigger 9mm for times when I could do more than a small pocket carry, and for a better range gun, one that I could carry sometimes.
    6. I'll buy about anything if I get the right price and I can sell it anytime.
    7. I eventually will probably get a Shield and the Glock 43 but the Shield prices are too high since I know many bought them for $225-$250 new, and people are selling them for so much more, and the Glock always commands a good price it seems.
    8. That's why I bought the Walther for $300: too good of a price not to, like the guy who bought the $225 Shield w/rebate: of course! So would have I.
    9. Just like, when the S/W 642 revolver went on sale for $300: a no brainer!

Bundy74

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2017
    Rockport
    Taurus revolvers are well built, after all they are basically smiths, I personally on a model 605, five shot 357 magnum, and a model 44, 44 magnum . I have no experience with her semi automatic pistols.

kingpin75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    greencastle
    I have owned three Taurus. A PT92, a PT709 and .44 Tracker. The PT92 was THE best semi auto I've ever owned. It ate everything it was fed. The 709 didn't like light reloads, but shoots factory ammo just fine. The Tracker is by far the worst POS revolver ever! After running six rounds through it I reloaded it and the first round went just fine then the cylinder jammed up. I finally got it to release and tried it again with pretty much the same results. I sent it to Taurus and it came back pretty quickly, but in the same shape, only worse. Now the cylinder won't lock up until I pulled the hammer back. After all the trouble with the Tracker, I won't buy another Taurus. Ever.

daventos

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 23, 2017
    Bedford
    I went through a police academy program at a college in Colorado several years ago. We had to provide our own weapons. The guidelines were pretty much any semi from one of the well known manufacturers in 9mm, .40 or .45 except Taurus. They said they had allowed Taurus in the past to try and save students money but no one was ever able to complete the high volume of shooting required without some component of a Taurus failing. I have stayed away from Taurus semis ever since. They may have improved and be okay now but I would rather spend a little more and get something with a proven track record.

Cardsfan29315

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    New Albany
    I’ve got a couple Taurus revolvers but haven’t shot them.
    Ive also got 2 Taurus PT1911 (45 ACP and .38 Super) and I absolutely love both of them. My Taurus .38 super shoots every bit as good if not better than my Fathers Kimber .38 Super and it was a whole lot cheaper.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    I have looked at 4 Taurus firearms. The first two were revolvers one was a 357 the other a 22. The charge holes in the cylinders looked like a tap was used instead of a chamber reamer.
    Next was a 1911 pick it up the mag falls out it took them over a year to make it right.
    Last was a 2" revolver three trigger pulls for it to fire once yes 18 trigger pulls to empty the cylinder. This was brand new the guy left the gun shop and came straight to the range.

I under stand they own Rossi now. Looked at one of those too. On the muzzle the rifling was all on one side on the breach it was on the other. The rifling was not parallel with the bore. I still don't know how they did that.

I don't care how good they are now. I wouldn't keep one if it was given to me

Top Bottom