• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    The only thing wrong with the 1911 is that Taurus don't make it in a larger caliber.:)

But seriously, with heavy hollow pointed chunks of lead, no jams and always going bang it does what it's supposed to do.
    Being semi-auto it can never be as good of a defense weapon as a double action revolver but hey, it goes bang pretty good.

abeguzmanmarine

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    TERRE HAUTE
    I have a friend who swears by Taurus. But he only owns Taurus. Unlike myself who has and now only has S&W, Ruger, Winchester. They just had too many problems for me. Also the resale value is held with the better manufacturer guns. It's hard to sell a Taurus for what you paid for it.

PhxCollier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2017
    Indiana
    I have a pt111 g2 and the only thing I had to do was to replace the mag release spring. I took about 5 min and the part was $7. Until I did that, it would occasionally drop the mag.

I used glock part # sp00280

btw alien gear has a good hybrid holster and foxx has one that fits with an armalazer attached.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I've owned three (3) Taurus pistols...and all three (3) had issues.

I've owned two (2) semi-auto's...and the parts kept coming loose while firing and had to be put back on to continue firing.

I've owned one (1) Model 850 DAO .38 revolver...with which the cylinder would lock-up after firing one (1) round (regardless of which position the cylinder was in when it was closed and locked into place) to the point where I would have to disassemble the revolver to get the cylinder open to retrieve the 4 remaining 'live' rounds! After two (2) trips in for repair...and upon receiving the same serial-numbered revolver back with the same issue (i.e., not repaired) I traded it back in where I purchased it. That FFL then resold the revolver to another individual, who then had to send it in to Taurus...I never did hear what happened after that!

All my other friends who've owned a Taurus, have sold them all and purchased Ruger (in place of their revolvers...and have been more than fully satisfied with their results) and FN (in place of their semi-autos...and have also been more than fully satisfied with their results!)

In the end...while you can save a few $$ on the initial purchase...the headaches on the back side just aren't worth it!

I highly recommend you spend $100 - $150 more on the initial purchase price, and procure a quality firearm from a reputable manufacturer...and you'll be glad, in the end, that you did! Remember the old adage...you get what you pay for!

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I've owned three (3) Taurus pistols...and all three (3) had issues.

I've owned two (2) semi-auto's...and the parts kept coming loose while firing and had to be put back on to continue firing.

I've owned one (1) Model 850 DAO .38 revolver...with which the cylinder would lock-up after firing one (1) round (regardless of which position the cylinder was in when it was closed and locked into place) to the point where I would have to disassemble the revolver to get the cylinder open to retrieve the 4 remaining 'live' rounds! After two (2) trips in for repair...and upon receiving the same serial-numbered revolver back with the same issue (i.e., not repaired) I traded it back in where I purchased it. That FFL then resold the revolver to another individual, who then had to send it in to Taurus...I never did hear what happened after that!

All my other friends who've owned a Taurus, have sold them all and purchased Ruger (in place of their revolvers...and have been more than fully satisfied with their results) and FN (in place of their semi-autos...and have also been more than fully satisfied with their results!)

In the end...while you can save a few $$ on the initial purchase...the headaches on the back side just aren't worth it!

I highly recommend you spend $100 - $150 more on the initial purchase price, and procure a quality firearm from a reputable manufacturer...and you'll be glad, in the end, that you did! Remember the old adage...you get what you pay for!

Well said, and very good advice. The FNS-9 is a great alternative to the 24/7.

Cranerepairgreg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2017
    Valparaiso
    4 taurus revolvers. No problems. Not as refined as my S&Ws, but better triggers than my ruger.....1 taurus pt140. Eh. Always fires. Thats about all i can say. That being said......revolver yes. Semiauto, not so much.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    You know, for years now I've thought of "The Judge" as another one of those goofy guns that people buy, something about like a AR. Now I'm starting to wonder if maybe Taurus really came up with a pretty good self defense arm concept.
    From what I hear it's about the closest thing you'll ever see to a Gold Rush pepper box, that it's never going to be a target shooter. Just good for what it does, just self defense. Some day if I run upon one for a good price maybe I'll have to check it out. Go triball and see how well it handles with three ball loads.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Interesting vid I saw (maybe old and everyone has seen it, but I'm a newbie), where Guns and Ammo tested for days all single-stack 9mm sold: dozens.
    After 1000 rounds in each gun, only 3 made it trouble free: Glock 43, Walther PPS (the vid is why I bought one today) AND the Taurus 709 Slim.
    The Shield and Kahr made it to around 700 rounds before trouble.
    After all the bashing I had read about the nearly anything Taurus, I was truly in disbelief.
    You got to love objective field testing: works for me, especially since I have a 709 ($180 at Marksman Shooting Sports) and just bought the PPS M-2 LE with 3 mags: 6, 7 and 8 rounds for $300 off Armslist.

Zjhagens

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Personally I would not touch a Taurus with a 10 foot pole. Especially the semi autos. I've worked at a gun shop for 4 years, and the guns that come in with issues are disproportionately Tauruses.

Yes, there are some Tauruses that are essentially "problem free", and that's great if you get one of these if you're looking for an inexpensive gun. However a major issue with Taurus is quality control. 2 guns coming off the line one after the other and one can be totally acceptable in terms of reliability, and the next is worthless...

Also, I have found that the majority of people who swear by their Taurus are one of two things: A) defensive because they paid for it, or B) someone who goes to the range once a month, puts 50 rounds through their gun in slow fire, cleans it after every range outing, then claims it's the most reliable gun on the planet. However a gun working under those conditions is the bare minimum and does not qualify something as a "good gun".

All in all, save up for another month or whatever and get a gun from a manufacturer known for quality and reliability. The price difference does not justify the downsides. A quality gun will be more reliable, more durable, have more aftermarket support (sights, holsters, etc...) and hold its value MUCH better.

Just my .02

Fate

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Never owned a Taurus revolver but a couple of semi autos and never had an issue out of them. I out grew them and their potential though and I haven't looked back.

Top Bottom