• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    It's not the first innocent person Texas has executed and certainly won't be the last. Better to leave criminals in a cell for the rest of their lives than to risk ever murdering an innocent person. There should be absolutely no room for collateral damage in the "justice" system.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    In a better scenario, the victim would have dispatched the thug during the commission of its crime.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    This is my greatest unease with the state killing people:

Wrong man was executed in Texas, probe says - Yahoo! News

A terrible travesty of justice that should give everyone pause.

The death penalty is one of several areas where I disagree with social conservatives. It's not that I think the severity of the punishment is greater than the severity of the of capital crimes, but that the severity of the punishment is greater than the probability of a correct verdict.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    THIS is why I'm believing more & more that the State shouldn't be in the business of killing people (unless they're literally caught red-handed)

DNA evidence is exonerating people all the time - as new technology emerges.

The State can't even balance a budget....i don't think they have the right to take a life if they can't balance a budget.

-J-

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    The amount of evidence required to convict on a capital crime is surprisingly small.

Means, motive, opportunity. That's it. You don't even need a body, much less any kind of physical evidence.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    "The death penalty would be even more effective, as a deterrent, if we excecuted a few innocent people more often."

Edward Abbey

It happens. Sometimes speeders get tickets and they are not really speeding.

I for one support the death penalty and will continue to do so as long as abortion on demand remains the law of the land. Once we end that form of state sanctioned killing, we can begin working on abolishing the other. It's all about baby steps, no pun intended.

Offered IMHO ofcourse.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I don't trust the government to balance a checkbook, so it makes no sense to trust them to decide who needs killin'.

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    Reality
    [[/B]
    THIS is why I'm believing more & more that the State shouldn't be in the business of killing people (unless they're literally caught red-handed)

DNA evidence is exonerating people all the time - as new technology emerges.

What about when DNA evidence is rock-solid? Is the death penalty ever justified?

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I don't trust the government to balance a checkbook, so it makes no sense to trust them to decide who needs killin'.

I may be wrong but it was my understanding that a "jury of one's peers" decides who needs killing.

Is it the Judge who decides the sentence or does the jury decide sentencing as well? Does it vary from state to state on sentencing?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Rick Perry is proud of the hundreds of lives that he ended on his watch. And Republicans cheered fanatically at the thought of state-issued death.

I wonder how many of them were innocent.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocKFSLsZnUo[/ame]

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Rick Perry is proud of the hundreds of lives that he ended on his watch. And Republicans cheered fanatically at the thought of state-issued death.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocKFSLsZnUo

One of my proudest moments as a Republican. I am sure some didn't cheer but I will not hold that against them.

I wonder how many were guilty?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

At least one that I know of and likely more than a few others. Fortunately, a couple have been saved from wasting their lives behind bars for crimes they didn't commit. The Innocence Project has been hard at work in Texas for the last few years.

The Innocence Project - Cameron Todd Willingham: Wrongfully Convicted and Executed in Texas

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    "The death penalty would be even more effective, as a deterrent, if we excecuted a few innocent people more often."

Edward Abbey

It happens. Sometimes speeders get tickets and they are not really speeding.

I for one support the death penalty and will continue to do so as long as abortion on demand remains the law of the land. Once we end that form of state sanctioned killing, we can begin working on abolishing the other. It's all about baby steps, no pun intended.

Offered IMHO ofcourse.

A textbook example of why I do not support the death penalty.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    As a matter of principle, I support capital punishment for the most egregious of offenses dispensed by a righteous government. Lacking the latter, it is nothing but capricious state-sponsored murder. I definitely have a problem with the idea of opposing execution while supporting abortion, or in other words, the notion that executing the most dangerous of criminals is wrong, but the wholesale murder of the most innocent among us is somehow acceptable.

Top Bottom