• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Don't think of it as an innocent person being killed.

Think of it as aborting a fetus in the 108th trimester.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Huh, I didn't realize that the State was performing abortions. Learn something every day.

I hadn't really thought that out, but the .gov DOES fund Planned Parenthood albeit 'not funding abortion' but paying for other things which in turn makes funds which would have been used on those other things available to subsidize abortions, so, yes, the .gov IS in the abortion business. Permitting it is sufficient sanction to earn my hostility. Please note that a number of things are said to be sanctioned by governments or other organizations in which those doing the sanctioning do not pay the costs of the activities.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Huh, I didn't realize that the State was performing abortions. Learn something every day.

SANCTIONED. The who is somewhat irrelevant. And there is a legitimate gripe with the logic that it's okay to de-criminalize the mass execution of the unborn for convenience sake but a long and arduous due process is still insufficient to take the life of a properly and duly* convicted felon.

*Refers to legal due process only; corruption is a separate issue.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    That's funny, I thought the thread was about the State putting people to death. But hey, you want to bring your own agenda to the thread, that's the InGO way! Feel free to continue to threadjack!

It seems not so much hijacking as a slight expansion into declaring that the state should be out of the business of the murder of innocent persons regardless of the reason why.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Whatever. I was prepared to discuss the OP, but it's clear folks here don't want to and would rather push their own agenda on the thread. Carry on.

Please carry on. We won't talk anymore about dead babies. Please tell us why it is wrong to kill convicted murderers? I actually like hearing other peoples ideas and agendas. It's what makes a conversation a conversation. I thought the purpose of a thread was for different ideas and agendas to be tossed about and discussed.

I have yet to see a thread on the death penalty come up without the subject of abortion coming up soon after. I think its because a large portion of anti death penalty folks seem to be very pro choice and the pro life folks like to point that out.

Mrjarrel starts posts like that all of the time (the Michelle Bachman is Swiss post comes to mind, i.e "how come she can be Swiss but you all are always questioning Obama's citizenship?") and I for one enjoy them (though I don't often agree) and feel its a great way to get a conversation started. Mrjarrel makes his post to where you can't just respond, but you have to back it up or he will quickly point out your hippocracy.

Don't get upset and pack up your G I Joes. We all still want to play.

Last edited:

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    I bet the guy was just walking down the street minding his own business, probably had a Bible under his arm on the way to a Joel Ostean ralley and got picked up for a crime he didn't commit.

PS dead babys, allmost left that out

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Please carry on. We won't talk anymore about dead babies. Please tell us why it is wrong to kill convicted murderers? I actually like hearing other peoples ideas and agendas. It's what makes a conversation a conversation. I thought the purpose of a thread was for different ideas and agendas to be tossed about and discussed.

I am not convinced it is wrong for the State to kill a violent criminal for certain crimes, that's why I was interested in discussing the topic. I find CarmelHP to often have a well thought out point of view, even on the subjects about which he and I disagree, so I was interested in what he and other folks had to say about it because it isn't an area where my viewpoint is hard set. I know for certain that my views on abortion aren't going to sway anyone here nor will my views be swayed so I stay out of the abortion threads for the most part (actually, I try vary hard, and fail occasionally to stay out of most of the non-gun threads because I try to be here to mostly discuss guns).

I've seen enough in my life to know for certain that death is by far not the worst thing that can happen to a person and everyone is going to die at some point. If it was a choice of life in prison without a hope of getting out versus a quick clean death, at this point in my life I would probably choose the quick clean death if I were indeed guilty of the crime. If I were innocent I think it would be sheer torture to spend many years of my life in jail KNOWING I was innocent. Probably the only thing that would keep me from trying to take my own life would be the knowledge that I was innocent. Of course, I can't really know how I would react unless it happened. That the State can get it wrong is what gives me pause about the death penalty, but I firmly believe there are people that need killing.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I am not convinced it is wrong for the State to kill a violent criminal for certain crimes, that's why I was interested in discussing the topic. I find CarmelHP to often have a well thought out point of view, even on the subjects about which he and I disagree, so I was interested in what he and other folks had to say about it because it isn't an area where my viewpoint is hard set. I know for certain that my views on abortion aren't going to sway anyone here nor will my views be swayed so I stay out of the abortion threads for the most part (actually, I try vary hard, and fail occasionally to stay out of most of the non-gun threads because I try to be here to mostly discuss guns).

I've seen enough in my life to know for certain that death is by far not the worst thing that can happen to a person and everyone is going to die at some point. If it was a choice of life in prison without a hope of getting out versus a quick clean death, at this point in my life I would probably choose the quick clean death if I were indeed guilty of the crime. If I were innocent I think it would be sheer torture to spend many years of my life in jail KNOWING I was innocent. Probably the only thing that would keep me from trying to take my own life would be the knowledge that I was innocent. Of course, I can't really know how I would react unless it happened. That the State can get it wrong is what gives me pause about the death penalty, but I firmly believe there are people that need killing.

Very well said. I am left with the conclusion that a corrupt government is not a trustworthy agent to wield this power. If it can condone and defend as a 'right' (taken from the white spaces between the lines of the Constitution) the murder of the most innocent, it produces evidence that its administration of death is capricious and devoid of any consideration for the ending of innocent lives. Specifically, if the .gov cannot grasp that it is wrong to kill the absolutely innocent, how can it correctly discern the killing of those who may or may not be innocent?

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    “The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword. If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die.”

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I think that there are some crimes so outrageous that they scream out that death is the only appropriate penalty. But, it's not to be done lightly, for if an innocent person can be wrongly convicted and killed, so can anyone, and in the most cold blooded way. I am uneasy ever condoning the state killing its citizens, so I don't want it done just because the police were lazy, or the defense incompetent, or the system indifferent to guilt or innocence.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    SANCTIONED. The who is somewhat irrelevant. And there is a legitimate gripe with the logic that it's okay to de-criminalize the mass execution of the unborn for convenience sake but a long and arduous due process is still insufficient to take the life of a properly and duly* convicted felon.

These are two separate issues and shouldn't be conflated. I do not approve of abortion because I do believe it is the taking of an innocent life. However, it's not being done in the name of and by the People. I am against the state taking an innocent life simply because of process error. That's a horrible miscarraiage that should shock everyone.

Top Bottom