• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Today I shot a Wiley Clapp Commander. Not sure how old it was but I am thinking not too old as I don’t think they were made until recently. I was really surprised by the slide to frame tolerance. I mean it was really loose. From what I understand they were designed for CCW. But seriously we’re they trying to make sure it ran or was it just a poor fit?

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Today I shot a Wiley Clapp Commander. Not sure how old it was but I am thinking not too old as I don’t think they were made until recently. I was really surprised by the slide to frame tolerance. I mean it was really loose. From what I understand they were designed for CCW. But seriously we’re they trying to make sure it ran or was it just a poor fit?
    My best runner is a little sloppy. :dunno:

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    So perhaps it’s not a bad thing? Seemed to shoot pretty good. May be worth the $550 price of admission?
    I mean I’d trade a 4586 smith and $100 bill for it for sure. I’ve handled a lot of old service 1911’s that were sloppy. But they always went bang.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Not unusual at all from some of the Clapps I’ve handled.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I see a few different editions out there. Was it the stainless version, lightweight version, etc? What kind of shape was it in? $550 I'd probably be interested at that price, and I'm not even a 1911 guy, but could be a good build piece. Need some pics.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I see a few different editions out there. Was it the stainless version, lightweight version, etc? What kind of shape was it in? $550 I'd probably be interested at that price, and I'm not even a 1911 guy, but could be a good build piece. Need some pics.
    Lightweight, finish appears to be original, kind of a flat black. Gold bead front sight, u notch rear. Grips seem to have an odd contour.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Lightweight, finish appears to be original, kind of a flat black. Gold bead front sight, u notch rear. Grips seem to have an odd contour.
    Something like this?

719008451_1.jpg

I'm not sure how well some of the lightweight aluminum frames hold up, but for $550 you probably can't go wrong. I like the commander size, and if I found the right one/quality starting point for a good price as a build gun, I'd buy one and drop it off to Allen,

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Man you've been bitten by the 1911 bug.

Since most of my shooting is at the range it doesn't hurt to collect them.
    The more I shoot my 1911's the more I want to EDC them.
    I Mostly edc my 1911's when I'm in the woods 10mm, or just want to open carry my nice looking Ronin 45acp.
    I do not feel undergunned as I carry spare mags. I actually feel more confident using the 1911 because it shoots very accurately, and the ergonomics, and trigger is outstanding.
    Also no learning curve going from one caliber 1911 to another. Be it 10mm or 45acp.
    I'm kinda getting interested in a 38 super.
    After I get my Ronin 10mm I might get a 1911 in 38 Super.
    Anyone know when the 38 Super was first chambered in a 1911?

When you get it post some pictures.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I spent '74-'77 shooting and cleaning hundreds of M1911A1 pistols at various US Army installations. Everyone one of the rattled when held by the grip, muzzle down. They were sloppy INTENTIONALLY so they would fire dirty. That is a FEATURE of the gun, not a problem.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Man you've been bitten by the 1911 bug.

Since most of my shooting is at the range it doesn't hurt to collect them.
    The more I shoot my 1911's the more I want to EDC them.
    I Mostly edc my 1911's when I'm in the woods 10mm, or just want to open carry my nice looking Ronin 45acp.
    I do not feel undergunned as I carry spare mags. I actually feel more confident using the 1911 because it shoots very accurately, and the ergonomics, and trigger is outstanding.
    Also no learning curve going from one caliber 1911 to another. Be it 10mm or 45acp.
    I'm kinda getting interested in a 38 super.
    After I get my Ronin 10mm I might get a 1911 in 38 Super.
    Anyone know when the 38 Super was first chambered in a 1911?

When you get it post some pictures.
    Colt started in the late 1920's.
    I have a 1911 US Property in 38 Super.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    38 super coincided with the advent of the "automobile bandits".
    Bonnie and Clyde, John Dillinger, Machinegun Kelly, Pretty Boy Floyd, etc.

LEOs needed a round that could punch thru steel automobile doors, and disrupt the criminal inside.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Something like this?

719008451_1.jpg

I'm not sure how well some of the lightweight aluminum frames hold up, but for $550 you probably can't go wrong. I like the commander size, and if I found the right one/quality starting point for a good price as a build gun, I'd buy one and drop it off to Allen,
    I have that pistol. Always ran fine.
    As to the AL frames, I know that Les Baer was quoted as saying he stopped using them because after a couple hundred thousand rounds they started showing wear. I knew I wasn’t likely to put that many rounds through one single pistol, so I wasn’t concerned.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have that pistol. Always ran fine.
    As to the AL frames, I know that Les Baer was quoted as saying he stopped using them because after a couple hundred thousand rounds they started showing wear. I knew I wasn’t likely to put that many rounds through one single pistol, so I wasn’t concerned.
    Yeah, was also just a bit of a concern on what kind of work could be done on a alloy frame. But either way, for the price the OP is talking, it should be a good pickup, even as a project gun.

Top Bottom