• wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Something like this?

719008451_1.jpg

I'm not sure how well some of the lightweight aluminum frames hold up, but for $550 you probably can't go wrong. I like the commander size, and if I found the right one/quality starting point for a good price as a build gun, I'd buy one and drop it off to Allen,
    Just like that.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Man you've been bitten by the 1911 bug.

Since most of my shooting is at the range it doesn't hurt to collect them.
    The more I shoot my 1911's the more I want to EDC them.
    I Mostly edc my 1911's when I'm in the woods 10mm, or just want to open carry my nice looking Ronin 45acp.
    I do not feel undergunned as I carry spare mags. I actually feel more confident using the 1911 because it shoots very accurately, and the ergonomics, and trigger is outstanding.
    Also no learning curve going from one caliber 1911 to another. Be it 10mm or 45acp.
    I'm kinda getting interested in a 38 super.
    After I get my Ronin 10mm I might get a 1911 in 38 Super.
    Anyone know when the 38 Super was first chambered in a 1911?

When you get it post some pictures.
    Is there a cure, guessing not . And perhaps there is no need for a cure lol.

I am firmly seated in the 1911 camp. Have tried A***** not for me, I also have a 92 G which runs well. Decocker only first pull I think is over 7 pounds after that it lightens up.

When it matters yeah I am fine with a 1911 and would not have it any other way. I have no issue with capacity either extra magazines are a good thing.

Last edited:

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Yeah, was also just a bit of a concern on what kind of work could be done on a alloy frame. But either way, for the price the OP is talking, it should be a good pickup, even as a project gun.
    I think I am going to add it to the safe, from what I can tell it was never carried, no holster wear, no WCD scratch, and former owner didn’t even have any ammo for it.

Thinking for $550 hard to pass it up.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Man you've been bitten by the 1911 bug.

Since most of my shooting is at the range it doesn't hurt to collect them.
    The more I shoot my 1911's the more I want to EDC them.
    I Mostly edc my 1911's when I'm in the woods 10mm, or just want to open carry my nice looking Ronin 45acp.
    I do not feel undergunned as I carry spare mags. I actually feel more confident using the 1911 because it shoots very accurately, and the ergonomics, and trigger is outstanding.
    Also no learning curve going from one caliber 1911 to another. Be it 10mm or 45acp.
    I'm kinda getting interested in a 38 super.
    After I get my Ronin 10mm I might get a 1911 in 38 Super.
    Anyone know when the 38 Super was first chambered in a 1911?

When you get it post some pictures.
    I’m an edc 1911 guy. Have been for 20+ years. I’ve never even had a lightweight. All of mine have been steel.

racegunz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2015
    Indiana
    I have that pistol. Always ran fine.
    As to the AL frames, I know that Les Baer was quoted as saying he stopped using them because after a couple hundred thousand rounds they started showing wear. I knew I wasn’t likely to put that many rounds through one single pistol, so I wasn’t concerned.
    Man, that’s just a long day at the range. I have well over 100k rds through my Infinity 2011 (hicap 1911) and it’s still tight accurate and reliable, if aluminum degrades that quickly I would pass.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I think I am going to add it to the safe, from what I can tell it was never carried, no holster wear, no WCD scratch, and former owner didn’t even have any ammo for it.

Thinking for $550 hard to pass it up.
    They aren't making those anymore, 550.00 would be a great deal, people are getting that for old SPFD's, nice ones on GB have sold for 1500.00 or more recently. The longer you debate it on INGO the greater the chances someone else is going to know what that is and pick it up.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I’m an edc 1911 guy. Have been for 20+ years. I’ve never even had a lightweight. All of mine have been steel.
    The STI that came back from Allen M is all steel, although 9mm I know, but after Allen M put some finishing touches on it except for being a 45 acp it’s all that I could ask for in a 1911. Almost feels like a 22 when shooting. Guessing all that steel does wonders with helping with recoil.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    They aren't making those anymore, 550.00 would be a great deal, people are getting that for old SPFD's, nice ones on GB have sold for 1500.00 or more recently. The longer you debate it on INGO the greater the chances someone else is going to know what that is and pick it up.
    Yup it was sold to WCD it was an advance sale kind of thing. Estate sale is next month and I am told funds were needed sooner than that . A few items were offered ahead of time. So Mrs Wcd gave the ok and it was a done deal.

chadm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 30, 2016
    West side of Indy
    I spent '74-'77 shooting and cleaning hundreds of M1911A1 pistols at various US Army installations. Everyone one of the rattled when held by the grip, muzzle down. They were sloppy INTENTIONALLY so they would fire dirty. That is a FEATURE of the gun, not a problem.
    It’s interesting that TRP and Les Baer are so nice and tight. And then the Battle Rattle of my Colt. They all go bang when 3.5 lbs are applied to them.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    It’s interesting that TRP and Les Baer are so nice and tight. And then the Battle Rattle of my Colt. They all go bang when 3.5 lbs are applied to them.
    Try this. Fire 500 rounds through each. Open the action, rinse with water hose, do not lube. Fire another 500 rounds. Immerse in mud, work the action several times. Rinse with water. I'd bet good money the sloppy military version will continue to function. Get back to me on how the TRP and LB versions do.

I've had a few 1911-models. The RIA went off every time I pulled the trigger, but only wanted ball ammo. The Para-Ordnance P14 went full-auto on me when something broke. The Kimber II was nice, but ammo-finnicky also. The only one I ever had that functioned with all sorts of ammo was a Llama 1911 I bought used. About 2 years ago I test-fired a Glock 21 and fell in love. I bought a new one immediately. It most certainly is not pretty, but it has over 1000 rounds through it without issues. I've run HST, Golden Sabre & Gold Dot through it with no issues. Ergonomically, the G21 fits my hand perfectly, points naturally, and comes back to point of aim like it has a mind of its own. I can shoot the G21 faster, and more accurately than I ever shot a 1911. As usually, your mileage may vary. BTW, if I were going to buy a 1911 today, it would be a late model Tisas Duty B45. Pretty gun. And cheap.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Try this. Fire 500 rounds through each. Open the action, rinse with water hose, do not lube. Fire another 500 rounds. Immerse in mud, work the action several times. Rinse with water. I'd bet good money the sloppy military version will continue to function. Get back to me on how the TRP and LB versions do.

I've had a few 1911-models. The RIA went off every time I pulled the trigger, but only wanted ball ammo. The Para-Ordnance P14 went full-auto on me when something broke. The Kimber II was nice, but ammo-finnicky also. The only one I ever had that functioned with all sorts of ammo was a Llama 1911 I bought used. About 2 years ago I test-fired a Glock 21 and fell in love. I bought a new one immediately. It most certainly is not pretty, but it has over 1000 rounds through it without issues. I've run HST, Golden Sabre & Gold Dot through it with no issues. Ergonomically, the G21 fits my hand perfectly, points naturally, and comes back to point of aim like it has a mind of its own. I can shoot the G21 faster, and more accurately than I ever shot a 1911. As usually, your mileage may vary. BTW, if I were going to buy a 1911 today, it would be a late model Tisas Duty B45. Pretty gun. And cheap.
    Small world, I have a P14 Limited Stainless that did the same thing.
    My Thing 2 was shooting it next to me what it happened.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Small world, I have a P14 Limited Stainless that did the same thing.
    My Thing 2 was shooting it next to me what it happened.
    What did you do with it? My incident happened at Shooter's on CR7 (17?) in Elkhart, maybe 20 years ago. I put all the parts I had left over in the carry box and traded them to the owner for a few hours range time. I did not pick up the parts that went down-range. Owner lady suggested I send it back to PO for repair/replace. "Why would I want ANOTHER one of these?" Plus I was in a bit of a hurry, I had a 2" gash (5 stitches and a tetanus shot) in my off hand from flying PO parts. Never been happier to see a company go under.
    Just noticed I did not mention in the previous post: the damn thing exploded in my hands. Parts everywhere.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    What did you do with it? My incident happened at Shooter's on CR7 (17?) in Elkhart, maybe 20 years ago. I put all the parts I had left over in the carry box and traded them to the owner for a few hours range time. I did not pick up the parts that went down-range. Owner lady suggested I send it back to PO for repair/replace. "Why would I want ANOTHER one of these?" Plus I was in a bit of a hurry, I had a 2" gash (5 stitches and a tetanus shot) in my off hand from flying PO parts. Never been happier to see a company go under.
    Just noticed I did not mention in the previous post: the damn thing exploded in my hands. Parts everywhere.
    Well, its still sitting in a safe waiting for me to take it to Ray Saltzman in Tipton for repairs. It looks like it broke the piece of spring that sits in the sear? And beat the crap out of the sear.
    This one didn't explode.
    Its been sitting for 7-9 years now.lol

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    Compared to what? A 240B and a 80lb ruck in the mountains of Afghanistan?

No, I just meant a typical beat cop walking a foot patrol, in the 1920's/30's, in the American midwest, and carrying a BAR, might raise a few eyebrows or cause some pearls to be clutched.
    Might be a little wearying over an 8 HR shift, plus they wore crappy shoes back then.
    I'd bet the average patrolman would rather have a .38 Super on his hip if the local bank got robbed and he was trying to stop a fleeing car.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    ... About 2 years ago I test-fired a Glock 21 and fell in love. I bought a new one immediately. It most certainly is not pretty, but it has over 1000 rounds through it without issues. I've run HST, Golden Sabre & Gold Dot through it with no issues. Ergonomically, the G21 fits my hand perfectly, points naturally, and comes back to point of aim like it has a mind of its own. I can shoot the G21 faster, and more accurately than I ever shot a 1911.

Sorry to hijack a 1911 thread with a Glock post...is that sacrilege?

I hear ya Bassat; my first Glock was a 21 Gen 3. Still have it and love shooting it. I did add a 30S a few years back since it can use 21 mags. Maybe that's one you should consider too? Compact, 10 rounds of .45 and so sweet to shoot sure makes the 30S a great EDC. Plus the 30S fits 19 holsters...love the commonality! Here's a great video review: Glock 30S - Hammer of the Gods

Scott58

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    NW indiana
    Nothing like a 1911. I've got glock, CZ, Ruger, and a Dan Wesson revolver. But, I also have 3 1911's and when I think about carry I think 1911. Love'em.

Top Bottom