• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I didn’t get to grow up in the world you guys did, but it was still a lot simpler in comparison to today. I miss the riding in the back of dads pickup with a buddy. I miss actually going to a friends house to talk to them instead of just messaging them, I miss sitting around playing monopoly and hanging out without anybody staring at their phone the entire time, I miss eating cereal while watching Saturday morning cartoons and getting dressed jumping on my bike and having to be home when the street lights came on.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    We would collect walnuts in burlap bags and spread them across the gravel driveway. Dad would drive his truck back and forth over them to crush the green outer shell. We would spend hours on the back porch cracking and picking walnuts after that.

I would leave the house in the morning on my bicycle, parents only having a rough idea where I was going. Would usually end up at a friend's house playing catch, exploring the woods, catching crawdads, or shooting bullfrogs with our air rifles. As long as I was back by supper, all was good.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    In my pre-teen and early teens lived in a neighborhood, with farm fields and woods all around. I wanted to fish the creek and shoot back on the farmers land.

Dad took me to the farmer's house (probably pre-arranged) and made me ask permission. The only stipulation was, don't burn anything down, and don't shoot anything you shouldn't especially my cows.

Spent many a day in those woods. Would grab my Winchester 190 and four or five boxes of ammo, grab a friend and go shoot in the woods. Other times we would grab our poles , a skillet, and hike over to the creek. Catch blue gill and clean and cook them on the bank.

I don't remember anyone who cared that there was this kid walking down the neighborhood street with a 22 semi-automatic in hand. Doing something wrong with it just never crossed my mind. One, I knew the potential consequences of improper gun handling. More importantly I ABSOLUTELY KNEW THE CONSEQUENCES I WOULD SUFFER IF MY FATHER FOUND OUT I had done anything wrong with that little 22.

That Winchester has had A LOT of ammo through it. I never cleaned it, just dumped some more 3in1 on it. When we went to my Grandparents near Coal City I would shoot a brick through it in an afternoon, and that happened many times over five or six years.

I still have that 190. Funny thing is, it hasn't been the same since I cleaned it. Not in accuracy or reliability.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    My Dad taking me bluegill fishing in a strip pit just north of Shelbyville, and stopping on SR 9 to fill the bed of his truck up with Poke..................The feast my mother could prepare with a bucket of gills and a truckfull of poisonous weeds.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Working with my father, mother and sisters re building our house. When I got out of the Army and started in construction my boss loved how much I already knew how to do.

When I was a toddler I was tied to the vent pipe on the flat roof while they shingles the pitched roof part.

AdventureTeamJoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 10, 2018
    Indy Northside
    Great thread. My grandparents lived in a small (pop 1200) southern Illinois town. Grandpa owned a DX service station where I spent many days learning to clean windshields and pump gas at $.359/gal. Probably the highlight of any day was being allowed to raise and lower customer vehicles on the shop's hydraulic lift. Always remember the snub nose .38 he kept in the glove box of the wrecker.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Great thread. My grandparents lived in a small (pop 1200) southern Illinois town. Grandpa owned a DX service station where I spent many days learning to clean windshields and pump gas at $.359/gal. Probably the highlight of any day was being allowed to raise and lower customer vehicles on the shop's hydraulic lift. Always remember the snub nose .38 he kept in the glove box of the wrecker.
    I use to pomp Amaco Ultimate Gold in my car for .359 a gallon.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    In my pre-teen and early teens lived in a neighborhood, with farm fields and woods all around. I wanted to fish the creek and shoot back on the farmers land.

Dad took me to the farmer's house (probably pre-arranged) and made me ask permission. The only stipulation was, don't burn anything down, and don't shoot anything you shouldn't especially my cows.

Spent many a day in those woods. Would grab my Winchester 190 and four or five boxes of ammo, grab a friend and go shoot in the woods. Other times we would grab our poles , a skillet, and hike over to the creek. Catch blue gill and clean and cook them on the bank.

I don't remember anyone who cared that there was this kid walking down the neighborhood street with a 22 semi-automatic in hand. Doing something wrong with it just never crossed my mind. One, I knew the potential consequences of improper gun handling. More importantly I ABSOLUTELY KNEW THE CONSEQUENCES I WOULD SUFFER IF MY FATHER FOUND OUT I had done anything wrong with that little 22.

That Winchester has had A LOT of ammo through it. I never cleaned it, just dumped some more 3in1 on it. When we went to my Grandparents near Coal City I would shoot a brick through it in an afternoon, and that happened many times over five or six years.

I still have that 190. Funny thing is, it hasn't been the same since I cleaned it. Not in accuracy or reliability.

Good stuff!

Nothing is more important to a child than good parents.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Strike anywhere matches.....The real ones....Ohio Blue Tip.

There is another company that makes "strike anywhere". On the rare occasion I can find them, I get them by the case. They work, but not nearly as well as the old Ohio Blue Tip.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Strike anywhere matches.....The real ones....Ohio Blue Tip.

There is another company that makes "strike anywhere". On the rare occasion I can find them, I get them by the case. They work, but not nearly as well as the old Ohio Blue Tip.
    I remember shooting Ohio Blue Tips out of my pellet gun. They make a really loud crack when they hit a stone wall. :):

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I remember shooting Ohio Blue Tips out of my pellet gun. They make a really loud crack when they hit a stone wall. :):

Yep. The tip material was MUCH better than whatever is used now.

We used to cut the tips off and put them in a nut between bolts screwed into both sides of the nut. When tossed on a hard surface the would give a decent "crack" like a firecracker. Used them when we played "army".

Top Bottom