• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    So the UPS guy showed up on my doorstep this morning. As I was expecting nothing, I was intrigued.
    Much to my suprise it was a box from werlinger containing two 14 oz cans of cooked pork.
    The wife and I decided to try some out for lunch so here's the review.
    NOTE, Disclaimer, whatever: I am on antibiotics which is having an affect on my smell/taste. Therefore I had she who must be obeyed backstop me on my observations (that means I made her eat it too).
    So, my first thought on opening the can was "what's that smell?" checking with the wife, she said it smelled like spam. Looking at it, the can of meat looked vaguely like alpo, moist chucks of meat pressed together with liquid and some congealed fat.
    I dumped the contents into a bowl and nuked it for a minute and three fourths. Now it smelled like regular pork to me and the wife. without adding anything to it at all meat tasted like a very tender pork roast. I drained the liquid out of the bowl, I would guess there was about 3/4 cup of liquid in the can, my wife said that it would probably make good gravy base.
    We added BBQ sauce and made "pulled pork" sandwiches out of it. Overall it was very tender good quality meat. I was concerned that there may have been a lot of fat in the meat, but I encountered no fat or gristle at all.
    The wife said that she would be willing to use it on a "lazy day" instead of cooking a pork roast. Her suggestion was to put carrots, taters, etc. into a crock and then add a can (or two) of the meat about 20 minutes before the veggies were done.
    the ultimate test came later, after the daughter came home. I reheated the leftover meat and took her some. she is very hesitant to eat meat that I hand her, thinking that it's venison. After I convinced her that it wasn't venison she tried some and said, "so what about it?" I told her it was the canned meat, she said it was very good.
    My wife said that she would assume that the beef and chicken were the same good quality, she want to try some turkey.
    So, to recap:
    Price is very competitive with what is in the stores.
    Customer service is excellent, shipping was three days from when I placed the order on a Saturday to delivery.
    Taste/quality of the meat is excellent.
    In my opinon this is an excellent buy.
    I think the op deserves a +1 from everybody for finding a winner.:rockwoot::ingo:
    Thanks for the review.We are driving to the actual retail store in the next few days.I found out a little more as well with a little prying.Seems Yoders owns the rights to the bacon they produce for online sales and catalog sales.However they can and still do sell it in store under there own label.Hence the drive to the store.They also have in store only pricing.24 28 oz cans for 132,mixed as you please.Cases of bacon are 90.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Where is the store? :dunno:

A retail store at the processing plant offers frozen cuts of beef and pork and our ever popular canned meats. Stop by and check out our ever growing list of new products.
    Store Hours: M-F 8am to 5pm Sat. 8am to Noon

Contact Information

100 South Plum St.
    Burkettsville, Ohio 45310
    Phone: (419) 375-4186 or (888) 375-1998
    Fax: (419) 375-0037

Info found on the posted website, I would assume that would be the location of their retail store. It's SE of Ft Recovery, OH a little ways. Or south of Celina if you're not familiar with Ft. Recovery.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Oh that is way too far (165 miles 1 way) for me.
    Guess shipping it will be.
    Yeah, its a pretty good drive for people anywhere is far south or western IN.

Luckily for me, my dad does quite a bit of business in Ft. Recovery so I could just have him go pick stuff up for me sometime if I really wanted.

Actually, I'm really tempted...

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Smokingman,

Reps to you for the great research!

I was going to suggest that this would be a great product for a group buy but seeing how close they are that wouldn't be necessary.

Again, great job.

Regards,

Doug

Kelevra TAR-21

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Just wondering what is wrong with Grabill canned meats? It is made right here in Grabill, Indiana so the money stays in our state. They sell it at walmart for $6.18 for a 27 oz can for Beef Chunks and Chicken. They also offer Turkey, Pork and Ground Beef.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Just wondering what is wrong with Grabill canned meats? It is made right here in Grabill, Indiana so the money stays in our state. They sell it at walmart for $6.18 for a 27 oz can for Beef Chunks and Chicken. They also offer Turkey, Pork and Ground Beef.

:dunno: Never heard of them either. Wal-Mart u say? Where? Camping? Food? Other location? Then again I try to avoid Wal-Mart like a avoid the flu and Bill B! :laugh:

whipfinish

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Grabill Meats +1

Ditto, Grabill Meats is closer, has a better tasting product (IMO) and is a short drive for anyone in Indiana, just outside of Fort Wayne. Why send your money to Ohio? Grabill Meats has been selling products in loca grocery stores for years but you can buy direct from the factory for less than Yoder's. They ship too. Buy with confidence.

J man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Defiance, OH area
    Does Grabill Meats sell direct from a retail store or is WallyWorld the best option?

I am not 100% sold on the idea of canned meats, not sure why. I saw this asked a couple times but not answered, what ids the shelf life or what is the average expiration date on these?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Does Grabill Meats sell direct from a retail store or is WallyWorld the best option?

I am not 100% sold on the idea of canned meats, not sure why. I saw this asked a couple times but not answered, what ids the shelf life or what is the average expiration date on these?

Yes you can buy direct from Garbill.
    Here is the link to their website: Grabill Country Meats
    You can call them to place an order they will ship.

Otherwise Wal-Mart is the other place you can get the cans. Buying from Garbill is best if you plan on getting the larger cans. Suggest you try the smaller ones at Wal-Mart first to see if you like it.

In terms of shelf life. Cans if not opened and left untouch will outlast you and your children and your grandchildren. There are documented cases of canned meat found inside sunken galley ships from the 1800s that was opened and the meat was in perfect conditions to eat. The color was a bit off but nutrients was still there. While the cans may carry an expiration that don't be fooled. They will outlast you. Just keep them in a place where they don't experience a temp swing. IE. cool place like your basement or crawlspace.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Hormel says that their canned meats will last bacially forever, although the flavor may degrade the meat is fine as long as the can isn't compromised.
    When I was a kid we ate c-rations from the early 60's no trouble. Some of the canned meat that I have doesn't even show an expiration date.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Hormel says that their canned meats will last bacially forever, although the flavor may degrade the meat is fine as long as the can isn't compromised.
    When I was a kid we ate c-rations from the early 60's no trouble. Some of the canned meat that I have doesn't even show an expiration date.

aaaahhhh so that explains it all. ;)
    I grew up on the black & white label government cheese when I was a kid. The community center would server all the grill cheese we wanted.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I don't know about Yoder's canned goods but their other items such as Potato Salad, Marconi salad and all that other stuff is made in Delphos, Ohio at a place called I&K distributors. Product is processed from "scratch" and packaged there at this facility.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    In terms of shelf life. Cans if not opened and left untouch will outlast you and your children and your grandchildren. There are documented cases of canned meat found inside sunken galley ships from the 1800s that was opened and the meat was in perfect conditions to eat. The color was a bit off but nutrients was still there. While the cans may carry an expiration that don't be fooled. They will outlast you. Just keep them in a place where they don't experience a temp swing. IE. cool place like your basement or crawlspace.

I wouldn't bet on it. Cans used to be made out of tin or heavy tinplate and that would last a very long time. Today's steel cans will rust eventually, you'll usually start to see rust after a few years. You gotta keep them dry to maximize the life, also.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Update
    Wal-mart in Hammond & Merrillville, IN **DO NOT** carry the Grabill Country Meats line. Hammond has NO canned meat period but then again it's not a super center. The Merrillville store is a super center (ie. has a food store in it) and they do not carry that brand. They do carry canned meat (brands, size & price unknown) per the nice lady on the phone who looks for me.

So I guess I'll just have to call Grabill direct to order. :( Was hoping to not have to pay for shipping. Double wammy on this one with shipping and IN taxes. :faint:

Top Bottom