• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • conservative

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Been reading this thread and I had to go out to the store. I stopped at Kroger's and they didn't have any 'just plain' canned meat.

Went on to Walmart....they stock Keystone in small cans and 28oz cans. Keystone is out of Lima Oh.

S.E. Indiana

conservative

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    I have some of the Yoder 28 oz cans of meat. Canned by Wherling. Could not figure out the code stamped on the can... (why don't all manufacturers just stamp a plain date instead of the dang codes??)...

so I sent an email re: the codes....21332 and 29064....

Turns out the 21332 is their 'establishment number' and the 29064 breaks down as 2(product type), 9 (year it was canned), 064 (date of the year it was canned.

Back when I was stocking up stuff for Y2K I built a chart of all the can codes I could discover. Many of the canners have since gone 'plain language' which is so much easier.....:)

conservative

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    WalMart sells Keystone canned meats.

Here are the codes explained by Joanie from Keystone:
    Shelf Life and Production Code The USDA recommends a shelf life of 5 years for optimal taste, provided the integrity of the can is not compromised in any way. Once opened, the meat should be treated the same as any other fresh meat. The USDA does not require a use by date on the can due to the extended shelf life. The numbers you need are on the bottom of each can. 15826 is our USDA establishment number and the other set of numbers is the date of production. For instance, if your production code was B9174, it would be: B = beef 9 = 2009 (the first number after the letter is the last number of the production year) (0 = 2010, 1 = 2011) 174 = the 174th day of the year according to the Julian calendar. These 3 numbers are always the day of the year. All of our Keystone Heat and Serve canned meats can be read in this manner. The broths are the same as the meats.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    WalMart sells Keystone canned meats.

Here are the codes explained by Joanie from Keystone:
    Shelf Life and Production Code The USDA recommends a shelf life of 5 years for optimal taste, provided the integrity of the can is not compromised in any way. Once opened, the meat should be treated the same as any other fresh meat. The USDA does not require a use by date on the can due to the extended shelf life. The numbers you need are on the bottom of each can. 15826 is our USDA establishment number and the other set of numbers is the date of production. For instance, if your production code was B9174, it would be: B = beef 9 = 2009 (the first number after the letter is the last number of the production year) (0 = 2010, 1 = 2011) 174 = the 174th day of the year according to the Julian calendar. These 3 numbers are always the day of the year. All of our Keystone Heat and Serve canned meats can be read in this manner. The broths are the same as the meats.

Good information. We keep a good stock of Keystone canned meats with our supplies. It's a very good cost-effective long-term store-able meat.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    I reread this thread when it made it to the top of the list. I have 1 Question and 1 comment.

Q) Please tell me someone found out how to get the ZOMBIE RESPONSE TEAM label on canned bacon from Werlings, and how do I order a case or 10?!?!?! I'm serious! When, where and how do we order this?!?!?!

C) We have had a side of beef (from a local farm) processed at Manley's and we have been a regular customer of Grabill Country Meats for couple yrs. Both are good local Indiana companies. BUY INDIANA. Both delivered good service and great products at a reasonable price. Grabill is only minutes away from FT Wayne and in the same area as 3-4 good Amish stores. Great way to stock up on supplies in bulk. Grabill Country Sales is the largest one with best selection and it is in town. There are others just 1-2 miles out of town. Loading up at Grabill Country Meats will only take 10-15 min tops, and that's if you have a chat with the friendly staff. But plan on spending 30-60 min in the Grabill Country Store. Plenty of bulk items, cheeses, a deli and fresh baked goods. If you are in town, the Grabill Hardware has crocks for home made sourkraut. We just started our 1st batch last month. What ever size you think you need, get the next size bigger.

:twocents:

:patriot:

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    C) We have had a side of beef (from a local farm) processed at Manley's and we have been a regular customer of Grabill Country Meats for couple yrs. Both are good local Indiana companies. BUY INDIANA.

I try to buy Indiana whenever I can, but Werling cans BACON. BACON trumps state loyalties.

Top Bottom