• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    It is not hard to can your own meat, I bet the savings would add up quickly.

"urban kid" here who has zero knowledge of canning. Yes just like reloading it is much cheaper but for now not in my immediate path of things I will/can do.

I was actually hoping to buy the small cans and taste try them out per say. Always wanted to know what "canned meat" taste like.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I wouldn't bet on it. Cans used to be made out of tin or heavy tinplate and that would last a very long time. Today's steel cans will rust eventually, you'll usually start to see rust after a few years. You gotta keep them dry to maximize the life, also.

Also need to remember that modern cans have a spread on plastic lining on the inside that can leach chemicals into the food over time causing the contents to go rancid. Acidity of the food greatly effects the amount of time it takes I will see if I can find the study and post a link.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    "urban kid" here who has zero knowledge of canning. Yes just like reloading it is much cheaper but for now not in my immediate path of things I will/can do.

I was actually hoping to buy the small cans and taste try them out per say. Always wanted to know what "canned meat" taste like.

I use canned chicken and beef in our enchilada recipe so that we keep it rotated.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Beef chicken or pork? I'll gladly let you have a can.

I read your report on pork and think that one is OK with the BBQ sauce. We usually buy a bulk pack of pork and slow cook it in the pot roast and then add BBQ to it and it's good.

We eat primarly chicken here so I would say that one. How much you want for the can? Beef we don't eat a lot other than ground beef (via burgers or mixed with pasta).

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    IE every person who has purchased a Yoders canned meat product was scammed around 30% off of the top or more.Just buy from the source.

First off let me say kudos to smokingman for the detective work.

I remember reading this post back in March and it made an impression on me. Now for what made an impression on me....

People who purchased yoders were not "scammed"! They purchased a product in the marketplace where there were many suppliers. It was their choice to purchase from them and they agreed to purchase the product at the price offered. Just because the same product might be available under a different brand somewhere else for less money does not mean that the customer was "scammed"!

Sorry, seeing this thread again dredged up all of those suppressed emotions from March, and this time I just couldn't hold them in anymore....:tantrum::tantrum:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

I remember reading this post back in March and it made an impression on me. Now for what made an impression on me....

People who purchased yoders were not "scammed"! They purchased a product in the marketplace where there were many suppliers. It was their choice to purchase from them and they agreed to purchase the product at the price offered. Just because the same product might be available under a different brand somewhere else for less money does not mean that the customer was "scammed"!

Sorry, seeing this thread again dredged up all of those suppressed emotions from March, and this time I just couldn't hold them in anymore....:tantrum::tantrum:
    Good point.I actually agree with you.I will edit that part of the post to reflect it.Thanks.

Hmm seems I can no longer edit the original post.It would have been better to say "people who purchased Yoders products could have saved roughly 30% by doing a little home work and buying directly from the manufacturer."

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

I typically don't respond like that to posts, I just let it go, but as a business owner, I hear this kind of stuff everyday. People think that i should just sell a product for what it costs me, without regard to overhead, labor, cost of money, interest, profit, etc. I'm not in it for benevolence. I'm in it to make money.

I also am becoming keenly aware of the power of words. Like the attacks on Corporate jets. These are business jets, which allow business leaders to get more work done in a shorter time, which is better for the business. But by calling them "corporate" jets (corporation has a more negative connotation than "business") they can be demagoged more easily. sorry for the rant. :ranton::chillpill::soapbox:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    Didn't read the whole thread but just thought I would throw this out there,Manley meats just west of Monroe IN sells their own canned beef,pork and chicken.

The 27oz cans in my cupboard are marked 6.49 and as I recall the chicken and pork were a little cheaper.

And they will ship to your address.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I typically don't respond like that to posts, I just let it go, but as a business owner, I hear this kind of stuff everyday. People think that i should just sell a product for what it costs me, without regard to overhead, labor, cost of money, interest, profit, etc. I'm not in it for benevolence. I'm in it to make money.

I also am becoming keenly aware of the power of words. Like the attacks on Corporate jets. These are business jets, which allow business leaders to get more work done in a shorter time, which is better for the business. But by calling them "corporate" jets (corporation has a more negative connotation than "business") they can be demagoged more easily. sorry for the rant. :ranton::chillpill::soapbox:

That's why it called a business and not a hobby. Business make you money hobbies don't:twocents:

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Werlings is good to go. with shipping to mccutchanville came to right at $8.2 a can, and about $4.6/lb. placed order at 11:30 am., they had it shipped by 12:30 pm, received it next day. chicken taste and texture is fine, quantitys and types all correct, not going to open everything else to give taste test, but if everything is similar, this is great quality and the price aint bad at all. Would buy from again, definitiely.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    No need to open the rest HeadlessRonald. We have already reported you to the .fed for buying in bulk which according to Homeland Security is what terrorist do! So once the black vans get you we here at INGO will just re-distribute the rest of your cans. ;):laugh:

Thanks for the report on the Chicken. That makes 2 meats that have been reviewed by INGOers & said they are good.

reddog14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Get pre-cooked canned meat at Walmart

Walmart now sells pre-cooked canned beef,pork, and chicken in cans that are about twice the size of a soup can. I purchased 3 cases of canned meat from werling meats and spent a lot of money for small cans. If I could do it over again I would have gone to Walmart and got it there. I didn't learn about Walmart till after I bought it from Werling. The cans are around $6.40 each. Last just as long as Werling.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Walmart now sells pre-cooked canned beef,pork, and chicken in cans that are about twice the size of a soup can. I purchased 3 cases of canned meat from werling meats and spent a lot of money for small cans. If I could do it over again I would have gone to Walmart and got it there. I didn't learn about Walmart till after I bought it from Werling. The cans are around $6.40 each. Last just as long as Werling.
    All Wal-Marts do not stock the same items. As Jedi reported earlier in this thread the Hammond and Schererville Wal-marts do not stock canned meat (other than spam).
    Welcome to INGO:ingo:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

All Wal-Marts do not stock the same items. As Jedi reported earlier in this thread the Hammond and Schererville Wal-marts do not stock canned meat (other than spam).
    Welcome to INGO:ingo:

reddog14 which Wal-mart (in your area) does stock the pre-cooked canned meat? As Bill B pointed out here in NWI our super center does not carry it. I wonder if wal-marts in more rural area carry it as oppose to the more urban areas? :dunno:

Also you said "pre-cooked" meaning you still have to cook the meat out of the can from the wal-mart ones? As oppose to the werling meats which are "cooked" and ready to eat (cold if you want). How big at the cans at your local wal-mart oz wise? Yes the 28 oz can of meat is "small" but then again it's not intended to be that you open a can of meat and just eat that. More like you add the meat to something else to fill you up and get some protien.

Still probably the best way to go is just outright canning meat yourself.

Where are you located BTW?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The Noblesville Wal-Mart is carrying canned meats for about 6 bucks a can. They aren't very large cans, but easily big enough to feed a family of 4 for a meal. Chicken, beef and pork.

nosybobby52

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2011
    have you ever tried hormel mary kitchen roast beef hash?really good and something to put into the rotation,spam will keep you alive,but if you ate the same thing every day you start to want to eat anythig else and i mean anything.remember canned nuts and things like that,are good to stock up on,too.

Top Bottom