You have $500 for a used .45. What would you get?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I seriously doubt you'll find anything even close, but I bought a "used" (looked unfired) EAA Witness with the "Wonder Finish" in .45acp at an auction some years back.
    I don't think anyone knew what it was.
    The box and gun both said Tanfoglio, so that's how they listed it in the advertisements.

When the auction started I found myself bidding against only one person.
    He stopped at $175. The auctioneer asked for $200 and I bid $190.

I had heard of the Witness line, but was not familiar with them.
    It wasn't until I brought it home that I found out it is a CZ75 clone.
    All steel and extremely well built.

Like I said, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on another deal like that, but you never know...

Good luck.

1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    I have small hands. I should have listed that in criteria. I have researched Witnesses for their 10mm, though never got to hold one. I need a superstore to try all these out and see which fits best. Good news is I have time on my side. I do alright with M&P grips size wise, so if that changes anyone's recommendations its fine. One of my EDC is an M&P 9C and the other is an SD9. I don't like the ergos or mag releases on Glocks, just not for me right now. I'd like the capacity at 10 or above, and not interested in compact .45s, just something that fits my hand and can be carried OWB for easy access.

Last edited:

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I don’t think the Witness frame feels as big as the dimensions say it should be. I’ve got relatively small hands, the Witness is comfortable. My Rock Island 1911 HC (double stack magazine) feels a lot bulkier in the hand.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I'd spend $50 more and get the used CZ 97 in the classifieds

Or a used 220.

The 220 would be easier to work on though for parts replacements

I'd spend $1000 more and get a brand new 97BD with full Cajunizing and never have to wonder if I should have got a better .45.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I'd spend $1000 more and get a brand new 97BD with full Cajunizing and never have to wonder if I should have got a better .45.

Which is what I just did.

If you have small hands and want a steel framed 45, you may have to compromise on capacity. Anything bigger than 10 rounds is going to be double stacked and be bigger. If you want a slim grip, you will most likely have to go single stack. Which you could buy 10 round mags for.

comm2679

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2017
    East Central
    I'm a 9mm guy, but if I was buying a $500 .45 it would be a Glock 30 SF. I don't have one anymore but would love to find another. I shot that pistol better then any other I've had.

1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    Ok Hohn, weak joke based on old Cajun cooking show (showing my age here), but seriously, I only found one reference to Cajun CZ work, so what exactly do they do to it? Customization?

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    Ok Hoosier, weak joke basedon old Cajun cooking show (showing my age here), but seriously, I only found one reference to Cajun CZ work, so what exactly do they do to it? Customization?

I got it and chuckled. Cajungunworks.com. Big improvements in trigger and accuracy. Polish. Tune. New springs. New hammer, trigger, sear. They make their own CZ parts. Add a barrel bushing to improve accuracy. Just really tune them to about as far as they can go.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Ok Hohn, weak joke based on old Cajun cooking show (showing my age here), but seriously, I only found one reference to Cajun CZ work, so what exactly do they do to it? Customization?

I own 2 fully cajunized 97's. 1 is CGW's flagship CopperHead. It is with out any doubt the smoothest and MOST ACCURATE SA/DA I own or ever have. Butter smooth and it makes me look good at the range.
    The 2nd is a SA only Cajun package. Breaks off like crystal. I do not remember the actual #s off top of my head but the more you run them the smoother they get.
    They are a man sized hunk of steel. I love them.
    If you want to fondle them PM me and I will make it happen.

Top Bottom