You may not want a door seat on your next flight.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I just read the part that failed was made in Malaysia. I think good ol' "lowest bidder" in terms of both employee and country of origin for our manufacturing may own the majority of this one.

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    I just read the part that failed was made in Malaysia. I think good ol' "lowest bidder" in terms of both employee and country of origin for our manufacturing may own the majority of this one.
    "Offloading/Outsourcing" started 30 or so years ago, at least in the aero industry. It started with outsourcing the manufacturing to print (engineering & design still done at the OEM firms), then the drafting (blue prints) was outsourced, next the 'design' was outsourced, now it's "turn-key", EVERYTHING including the fundamental engineering calculations are outsourced. The OEMs want to be "system integrators". And they ain't doing it very well.

Now even the outsourced providers are outsourcing the work outsourced to them (taking advantage of the lower overseas labor rates!). AND the OEMs are not only aware of it, they support it because they (the OEM) get to claim the "outsourced credits" mandated by the contracts.

So how does the tribal knowledge, engineering wisdom get passed on to the outsourced engineering/manufacturing firms? It doesn't. And that's crux of outsourcing, one anyway.
    That's how the world gets aircraft plug doors designed & installed that remain UNDER SPRING TENSION in flight (i.e. ready to spring open) INSTEAD OF being designed to FAIL into a SAFE condition. And stall warning systems that put control of the pitch axis in the hands of ONE sensor, etc, etc...

But that's not the worse news for the USA. Eventually the malaysia's of the world WILL figure it out. Japan did. And when they do, we will be flying on their aircraft, just like the auto industry. FYI, China got their cert last year for the COMAC C919. Hope they didn't copy the plug door design...
    https://www.businessinsider.com/com...mercial-aircraft-corporation-of-china-comac-2

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Some people dont feel comfy typing it out. Some ultra religious will also type out G*d. Not that it’s a bad word, just that their religion doesnt want them typing or writing the word God out. To each their own.
    Not either, just what I said above, prefer to error on the side of caution.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Boeing should be ashamed of themselves, but the McDonald Douglass merger ruined them I fear. I will also be the guy that says I know for a fact that they pay their 737 Maxx assembly line workers $21 an hour and that is not in fact enough money for a job like building a freaking airplane. Rant off

TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    SE Indy
    Some people dont feel comfy typing it out. Some ultra religious will also type out G*d. Not that its a bad word, just that their religion doesnt want them typing or writing the word God out. To each their own.

Sorry, assumed that was the sight filter that did that, not the human one.

Carry on

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    Boeing should be ashamed of themselves, but the McDonald Douglass merger ruined them I fear. I will also be the guy that says I know for a fact that they pay their 737 Maxx assembly line workers $21 an hour and that is not in fact enough money for a job like building a freaking airplane. Rant off
    The overseas outsourced engineers weren't even getting that. Hence the lure to outsource.

Top Bottom