You may not want a door seat on your next flight.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    **EDITED - turns out that's not a door plug, but an emergency exit, I didn't make it that far back in the plane to see the ER exit.***

I just took two flights this week on a Delta 737-900ER (that has the door plug).

I didn't die.
    1130b2226d179c8050b69e91f419b640.jpg
    fb4cd77773961601191cf9b5254b4670.jpg

Last edited:
    • Haha
    Reactions: Mij

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I just took two flights this week on a Delta 737-900ER (that has the door plug).

Denny alert. This picture does not show the door plug, it shows a regular emergency exit. The door plug has a regular rectangular passenger window in the middle of it, not a porthole.

Whether a 900ER or a Max have a plug or not depends on the seating arrangement installed. More seats require more emergency exits.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Denny alert. This picture does not show the door plug, it shows a regular emergency exit. The door plug has a regular rectangular passenger window in the middle of it, not a porthole.

Whether a 900ER or a Max have a plug or not depends on the seating arrangement installed. More seats require more emergency exits.

Well, I stand corrected. I didn't figure Delta would have the high density seating option.

I don't ever make it to the back of the plane, so I assumed Delta just blanked out the window back there on the inside.

Found this, so I stand corrected.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    We fly if we have to. I prefer driving if possible. More freedom to stop and do whatever we want. Pack our own cooler with food, snacks and drinks. No crowds or delays to deal with. You do have to deal with the a-hole drivers though.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    We fly if we have to. I prefer driving if possible. More freedom to stop and do whatever we want. Pack our own cooler with food, snacks and drinks. No crowds or delays to deal with. You do have to deal with the a-hole drivers though.
    6 hours is my limit. Anything over 6 hours I'll typically fly, but STL, Nashville, Detroit, I'll drive.

Flying isn't that bad if you're pre and have a low expectation...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

We do both, just depends. I guess I'm odd man out in that I actually enjoy both to some degree. I get that it's just a bus in the sky...but *it's in the sky*. Man spent untold generations wanting to fly and I'm kind of still impressed I can be whisked through the air at some 600mph for a pretty reasonable cash outlay. I completely get the appeal of space tourism. I mean, yeah, you're just getting strapped in some tube and going to somewhere that it's dark and cold and you float around...but you're in effing space. I get for most people there's no magic involved here, it's just an accepted part of modern living, but it's a real privilege that we enjoy. No matter how rich or powerful you were for most of human history, if you could cross the ocean at all you were doing it in a boat. I can deal with airplane food and a tubby chick taking up too much of the arm rest.

I'll dispute no delays to deal with while driving, though. I get through TSA quicker than I get through Atlanta any day. Coming back from Gulf Shores a little while back we got tied up in construction south of Louisville for long enough I got out of the truck and got some snacks and drinks from the cooler. The guy behind me asked if I had any beer. I didn't, and he didn't want a fizzy water for some reason. :D

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    **EDITED - turns out that's not a door plug, but an emergency exit, I didn't make it that far back in the plane to see the ER exit.***

I didn't die.
    1130b2226d179c8050b69e91f419b640.jpg
    Did you take the picture after you pulled your chute? Looks like the plane is pretty low as it has gear down. :)

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    We do both, just depends. I guess I'm odd man out in that I actually enjoy both to some degree. I get that it's just a bus in the sky...but *it's in the sky*. Man spent untold generations wanting to fly and I'm kind of still impressed I can be whisked through the air at some 600mph for a pretty reasonable cash outlay. I completely get the appeal of space tourism. I mean, yeah, you're just getting strapped in some tube and going to somewhere that it's dark and cold and you float around...but you're in effing space. I get for most people there's no magic involved here, it's just an accepted part of modern living, but it's a real privilege that we enjoy. No matter how rich or powerful you were for most of human history, if you could cross the ocean at all you were doing it in a boat. I can deal with airplane food and a tubby chick taking up too much of the arm rest.

I'll dispute no delays to deal with while driving, though. I get through TSA quicker than I get through Atlanta any day. Coming back from Gulf Shores a little while back we got tied up in construction south of Louisville for long enough I got out of the truck and got some snacks and drinks from the cooler. The guy behind me asked if I had any beer. I didn't, and he didn't want a fizzy water for some reason. :D
    I enjoy flying and even jumping out of airplanes. It is amazing to me. A trip to space would be wonderful. That said I like smaller planes and jets not the big jumbo ones.

Bugzilla

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    They forgot to mention that they also ran out of toilet paper shortly after!
    Idiots. You NEVER fully remove your seatbelt unless it is to get out of your seat. They even tell you this in the briefing.
    Instead you are supposed to loosen the belt so its comfy but still protects you during unexpected turbulence.

My last flight I was amazed by how many seatbelts I could hear open around me. (I just loosened it several inches)

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Idiots. You NEVER fully remove your seatbelt unless it is to get out of your seat. They even tell you this in the briefing.
    Instead you are supposed to loosen the belt so its comfy but still protects you during unexpected turbulence.

My last flight I was amazed by how many seatbelts I could hear open around me. (I just loosened it several inches)
    I have yet to get out of my seat for anything other than exiting the plane.

Chicago to Rome tested my abilities but I was 13 and use to holding it all day. -I know thats a skill of the past.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    People that worked in aircraft maintenance used to have a very distinct high performance culture. Dependability and competency were the foundation upon which a technician built his career. Good techs thrived and bad techs were beat down by peer pressure until they moved on. Everyone in the culture knew that a bad tech would cost everyone time, money and possibly lives. When I started out as a jet tech in 1979, it was a high pressure/high performance enviroment.

I'm afraid the aircraft maintenance culture of forty years ago is long dead and gone. It has been wiped clean by fashonable DEI programs and MBA managers who outsource maintenance to the lowest bidder.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I'm afraid the aircraft maintenance culture of forty years ago is long dead and gone. It has been wiped clean by fashonable DEI programs and MBA managers who outsource maintenance to the lowest bidder.
    This right here. The last vestiges of such an organizational culture were burned to the ground in the 2003 - 2008 sequential bankruptcies of the mainline carriers. The only thing left were Wall street MBA driven shells outsourcing to the lowest bidder.

There is still individual pride in work, but what is being produced by some "schools" is laughable.

When I graduated the Head told us, "Hopefully we taught you enough to keep you from killing someone, but we cannot make you a mechanic. Becoming a mechanic will take years". True words of wisdom which appear to be lost on the industry today.

Top Bottom