• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Captianbullseye

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 31, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I have been looking into getting a camp/outdoor/bushcraft knife that can do anything from battoning light kindling and making feathersticks to skinning game and cutting veggies. I have been doing research but I thought that getting info from others is much better. I want to stay in the $80-100 range.

Last edited:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'm trying to stay under/around $100. But the cheaper the better;)

When it comes to knives, cheaper is most definitely not better.

As Chezuki already mentioned, the ESSE 4 meets most of your criteria and it's right around $100. It's a great all around camp knife, but it's not a true chopper. it's decent for small kindling, but you'll want to go bigger if batoning is your top priority. Something like a Becker BK2 perhaps.

Here is my ESSE 4.

20141018_231050_zpspmnzbsgv.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have been looking into getting a camp/outdoor/bushcraft knife that can do anything from battoning light kindling and making feathersticks to skinning game and cutting veggies. I have been doing research but I thought that getting info from others is much better.

ESEE 4. It's one of the best all around utility knives I've seen.

I prefer the ESEE 3. It's ground from thinner stock and is a better slicer (good for food prep, skinning, field dressing, making fuzzsticks, etc), but it's not going to take as much punishment as the ESEE 4 (batoning), which is thicker.

When you're ready to buy, contact Knife Lady for the best customer service and prices:

PM: Knife Lady
    Telephone: 317-605-7489

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    ESEE 4 is good but I think the ESEE Laser Strike is a much better option for bushcrafting. The spear point also comes in very handy for dressing game. The LS can do everything the 4 can but the 4 can't do everything the LS can.

BHK woodsman pro is really tough to beat for a bushcrafter as well as the TOPS BOB. Both in scandi and all 4 knives mentioned are available to purchase via knifelady.

xdmstu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    I have been looking into getting a camp/outdoor/bushcraft knife that can do anything from battoning light kindling and making feathersticks to skinning game and cutting veggies. I have been doing research but I thought that getting info from others is much better.

Getting started?

First, get a simple, inexpensive (~ $20) Mora for your belt/camp/bushcraft/featherstick/basic utility/food prep/small job knife. Low cost but not "cheap." Solid history. Well respected. Real deal, no gimmicks.

Then get a second, quality knife with larger blade for your chopper (I.E., ESEE Junglas, Becker BK-9, Ontario 8628 RTAK II)

Okay, so the total will be more than $100 (not too much more with Becker or Ontario), but you'll have 2, quality knives which each excel at their intended purpose rather than one that sorta works okay for either.

:twocents:

(Full disclosure: my next knife will be the ESEE 4 as I AM looking for a quality, all-purpose/weekend-warrior/day-hiker/Go bag/SHTF reputable blade.) :):

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I have a DPX HEST. I think you need to define your budget and your mission before you go any further. I have no plans to go backpacking in the Amazon for a month. My adventures are generally a day hike at a state park or some primitive camping at a campground. The Condor or similar would work just fine for my needs, but I like the built-in bottle opener and pry thinger on the HEST. So, are you going to be surviving in the wild with this knife, or just having some fun camping trips? Are you going to be sharpening it in the field or will you be home within a day or so to do that? Are you batoning some kindling and making feather sticks for a night or two, or a week or two? In my opinion, too many people try to find a mission to suit the tool they sunk a bunch of money into rather than the other way around.

Top Bottom