Your New Silverado is Ready. It's a 4 Banger.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    GM is not after the Ecoboost crowd, they are going after the new Powerstroke F-150 and Ecodiesel's Ram. A Ecoboost would slaughter these other motors in raw power and speed, mileage not so much...

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I've heard of several guys with ecoboost trouble. One guy ended up with a new truck as the dealer convinced him he'd be better off vs the cost of the repair. He was on his way home, but stranded several states away. They've only been out 7 yrs. so the guys w/ 200k+ you know are likely doing a lot of highway miles, long commutes, etc.

I've read a lot of Ford mechanics recommend the 5.0 if you want to keep the truck for many years. My F150 is a 2010 w/ the 4.6L v8. I bought a year or two earlier than planned because I didn't want to beta test a brand new design, and all motor options were brand new for '11. If I were the type who traded into new vehicles every 2-3 years, I wouldn't hesitate to go EB. Every 15 years? now I'm nervous. I suspect there's a reason they haven't put them in the 3/4 tons yet.

for towing the camper, I like the idea of the EB and it's low low torque curve, but I think I'd still opt for the v8 for longevity. maybe by the time I'm ready to buy a new truck sometime in the 2025 timeframe I'll be convinced of the turbo motor durability, but not yet.

2c

-rvb

No Ecoboost in Super Duty's as it does not pass the duty cycle testing...

No 6.2 gas motors in cab and chassis trucks as it does not pass the severe duty cycle testing.

There is a new 7.3L gas motor for 2020 that is severe duty cycle passed and will be in new Super Duty's as well as F-650+. Will have a new 10-speed, this is the option I will go with. 4.30 E-locker should make for a great truck.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    We used to pull a pretty big gooseneck full of round bales with a straight-6 and I've done a lot of work with a (by today's standards vastly underpowered) 318 with a 4 speed granny. What I learned about running overloaded is the drive train isn't the limiting factor, brakes and suspension are. I could get a lot more rolling than I could safely get stopped...

aint that the truth. look at semis, sure they make 400-600hp but might pull up to 80klb. the uhaul had brakes so stopping distance wasn't affected much (I might be crazy but I'm not stupid). The toyota had oversized brakes to start with because trucks were meant to truck back then. It's rated to tow 3500lb. The baja's are rated ~1000lb intermittent/short periods for the autos, 2k for manual, 2400lb for manual+trailer brakes. While almost the largest on subarus, it's almost the largest subaru and aren't as grossly oversized as the toyota.

multiple turbos, when sized properly have as much top end as a single but spool up faster. this can be overcome by using smaller exhaust housings with wastegates (which was new 40 years ago) or with variable geometry turbos (or shenanigans like in the good ol days of group B rally). Some engines, like Vs not using a hot center design certainly do lend themselves to twins better than singles on the hot side but you still have the twin on the charge air piping.

Then you get into really fun stuff: asymmetrical twins, sequential twins, compound turbos, turbocompounding (not to be confused with the former), twincharging... yes I'm a nerd about this stuff.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    We used to tow big trailers with things like 350 Chevys making 180 hp, 6.2L Detroits making 150 hp and even 454s making just a little over 200 hp. It took us longer to get up to speed, but we still went up and down all the inclines the Appalachians had to offer.

...and yeah, hp was not really our concern, brakes were.

Top Bottom