Your New Silverado is Ready. It's a 4 Banger.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    The Ecoboost was widely panned as being a grenade between the fender liners as well because it's not a V8 and 'merica and reasons. While I get a V6 and an I4 are different motors, what's the difference that's going to make the 2.7 have longevity issues? It's an unknown at this point, an entirely new engine, but a long stroke straight 4 sounds with high torque low in the RPM band sounds like it's not terribly different. While I haven't tinkered with motors for nearly 20 years, long stroke motors make more torque at the low end, right? And a "I" design is considered simpler and generally more reliable than a "V"? I'm thinking of the Jeep 4.0 and Ford 300 compared to their "V" brothers.

It makes more power than the 350 Vortec (which was the hot new sweetie when I was tinkering with motors), and is mated to a transmission with a lot more speeds that should keep the rpms lower. I don't see how it's going to be "strained". Granted, I've not been tinkering with motors for nearly 20 years now so if I'm wrong I'm welcome to hear an explanation. I just don't believe the small engine + turbo = grenade formula any longer.

NA GM engines are so reliable and simple and cheap to work on and replace. Most of them outlive the truck and have lots of life left. If your engine dies because there are so many good engines out there replacement engines are dirt cheap. Buying used junkyard GM V8's is not considered any kind of a gamble. I wouldn't want to gamble my labor to swap in a used turbo engine nor would most guys I know. For every ecoboost high mileage success story I would expect that there are scores of angry owners. I think that these high tech truck turbos are best for guys who trade in their trucks as the warranty expires.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    For every ecoboost high mileage success story I would expect that there are scores of angry owners.

I don't see any consistent complaint other than some early ecoboosts with stretched timing chains and a general dissatisfaction with fuel economy while towing heavy loads. If there were scores of angry owners, seems like we'd have heard about it. Like the Triton motors with the spark plug issues? Nothing is quiet in the days of the Internet. People who actually own them seem satisfied. Surely we've got some Ford mechanics on board who can tell us if they're seeing some longevity issues?

The complaints against them come from people who don't own them. Sort of like I keep hearing how terribly unreliable Rams are, yet oddly everyone on the forum who owns one seems satisfied with theirs.

If you don't want one, don't buy one, but I see no evidence of reduced reliability.

OSAKNUC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2018
    South Bend
    V8's yes... but have you ever heard of the 3.6L LLT and LY7 "High Feature" V6? Horrible engines

I have the LFX 3.6 High Feature engine in my Nox. Great engine, but it’s been properly maintained. The engines prior had many issues due to being a new ish platform.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I do not hear much about the EcoBoost these days. Wonder how one of those holds up in a truck that gets worked pretty hard.

I'll be interested to see how the latest twin turbo 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 holds up as well. I'm thinking about downsizing the Superduty to something a little more manageable but it will need the ability to tow 7000#'s without issue. I'm just having a hard time believing the V6 or the latest 5.0 variant can tolerate that type of usage for very many miles.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    This.

The 5.3L V8 in my 2002 Silverado has just under 280,000 and it still runs very well (the rest of the truck, not so much)...

Yeah, in my 2007, the drivetrain is like new, but I have an airbag and anti-lock lights blinking at me...which I will address after graduation season and after my tractor is back together.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Subaru has had a 2.5 Turbo doing 300/300 or better for quite a long while now. They are far from the only ones.

Just nobody in the truck-centric world listens to that kinda riceburner commie bs.

That's not the same as saying I want one in a 1500 Chevy. 350, thanks.

And how well it works in the right truck lol. stock setup's ~210hp/230ftlb but it's incredibly easy to bolt on the STI parts that matter to bump up to stock STI 305/305
    IKttuqx.jpg

I wonder how the turbo is being lubricated. I just see people buying these and pulling into a parking spot and just turning the engine off. I can smell the burnt oil on those turbo bearings from here. I was taught to give the turbo a minute to spool down before shutting the engine off and with the instant gratification crowd I don't see that happening.

someone else beat me to it... water cooling does wonders.

One problem many have noticed with the ecoboosts is that mileage doesn't live up to claims. A good portion of the reason for this is that the larger NA engine stays stoich at much higher load while the small turbo motors enrich the mixture over atmospheric pressure. So anything over unladen moderate highway speeds and the mileage tanks. In other words, they're good for those that rarely use the truck as a truck... which is much of the truck-buying market sadly.

I'm more of a buy a small truck and use the **** out of it mentality. Friday, we had a community service thing at work picking up tires around brown co. I built a tire rack on my HF trailer and tested the 2klb towing capacity if my non-turbo Baja.
    ssRvYRY.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    My hunting partner has a 2014 F150 Ecoboost with a 6" lift & 35" tires. He pulls his 34' camper with it numerous times a year and it has zero problems with the weight. I believe he's got around 55k miles on it now.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Russ, I'm sorry buddy, I can't forward the Suby love on this one, despite the capability and the availability of factory STi parts.

We've owned 5, and they've all been/are wonderful cars. I have done things with a couple of Foresters that many would have said couldn't be done.

...but brother, the Baja ain't no truck. :)

-Nate

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I've heard of several guys with ecoboost trouble. One guy ended up with a new truck as the dealer convinced him he'd be better off vs the cost of the repair. He was on his way home, but stranded several states away. They've only been out 7 yrs. so the guys w/ 200k+ you know are likely doing a lot of highway miles, long commutes, etc.

I've read a lot of Ford mechanics recommend the 5.0 if you want to keep the truck for many years. My F150 is a 2010 w/ the 4.6L v8. I bought a year or two earlier than planned because I didn't want to beta test a brand new design, and all motor options were brand new for '11. If I were the type who traded into new vehicles every 2-3 years, I wouldn't hesitate to go EB. Every 15 years? now I'm nervous. I suspect there's a reason they haven't put them in the 3/4 tons yet.

for towing the camper, I like the idea of the EB and it's low low torque curve, but I think I'd still opt for the v8 for longevity. maybe by the time I'm ready to buy a new truck sometime in the 2025 timeframe I'll be convinced of the turbo motor durability, but not yet.

2c

-rvb

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah, in my 2007, the drivetrain is like new, but I have an airbag and anti-lock lights blinking at me...which I will address after graduation season and after my tractor is back together.

My GMC (2004) has a check engine indicator and a service airbag. The C.E. is an 02 sensor I believe. Not sure about the airbag light. 140K on the clock. Runs like a top.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Tbh, I love the idea of putting a four banger in a full sized truck. I was legitimately thinking last week if something like that would be possible. The issue I see is only having one turbo. Ford techs have said they went with twin turbos in the EcoBoost so that they could complement each other, and wouldn't have to work so hard. One turbo seems like a bad idea to me, especially on a full sized gas truck

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Sooo...the next obvious question is when do we get an ecoboost Coyote? Twin turbo 5.0 should make everyone cry, one way or another...

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Russ, I'm sorry buddy, I can't forward the Suby love on this one, despite the capability and the availability of factory STi parts.

We've owned 5, and they've all been/are wonderful cars. I have done things with a couple of Foresters that many would have said couldn't be done.

...but brother, the Baja ain't no truck. :)

-Nate

LOL hey now it's just as much a truck as a BRAT, Rabbit, Rampage, or Ridgeline! And stiffer suspension than most new 1500s. The dodges with the multilink setup are SOFT af.

Admittedly, I don't think it'll take to overloading as well as a real truck.rear axle's too far forward

TgT6gDy.jpg

that's 3 bikes, an (bike) engine, and some misc parts, easily 1200lb before I got in. (pic was with the air shocks empty)

bdPiPMO.jpg

doesn't look horrid but it's what's in the trailer that counts... motorcycles, toolboxes, and an apt. close to 6klb between trailer and cargo pulled by a 115hp, 2800lb truck. No it didn't like hills.

No, the suspension wasn't stock. added rear sway bar, air shocks, and some special shocks up front.

Thread------------------------------------------------------------us.

I like the idea of the smaller turbo engines, just not in a 6klb truck to use as a truck.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I’m kinda surprised Chevy went with a 4-banger for their first forced induction truck motor instead of coming in squarely at the 3.5L EcoBoost...especially since the 2019 6.2L V8 lags it in both HP and torque. Hopefully the 3.0L diesel will silence the EgoBoost crowd with regards to tow ability (and availability in non-Gucci trims).

This motor intrigues me - but only if it gets into the Colorado where its lower weight and HP/torque/torque band compared to the 2.8L diesel makes it a no-brainer for towing.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    doesn't look horrid but it's what's in the trailer that counts... motorcycles, toolboxes, and an apt. close to 6klb between trailer and cargo pulled by a 115hp, 2800lb truck. No it didn't like hills.

We used to pull a pretty big gooseneck full of round bales with a straight-6 and I've done a lot of work with a (by today's standards vastly underpowered) 318 with a 4 speed granny. What I learned about running overloaded is the drive train isn't the limiting factor, brakes and suspension are. I could get a lot more rolling than I could safely get stopped...

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My grandfather was a truck driver. LOVED his little under-powered mini-pickups. Swore he could pull anything with a 4-banger, and the right gears. I was chuckling as he lectured on one day... Asked him how he would get it all stopped, once it got going. He said "well, just have to plan ahead."

How he got thru life without killing a bus full of nuns is beyond me. What you and I called "sketchy", he called a normal Tuesday.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Tbh, I love the idea of putting a four banger in a full sized truck. I was legitimately thinking last week if something like that would be possible. The issue I see is only having one turbo. Ford techs have said they went with twin turbos in the EcoBoost so that they could complement each other, and wouldn't have to work so hard. One turbo seems like a bad idea to me, especially on a full sized gas truck

The turbos do not compliment each other as they are not compound, one turbo on a 6-cylinder does the same as two turbos...

Two turbos are going to run at the same boost and have the same load as a single turbo.

Both get the job done, I like the simplicity of a single turbo but on a V6 that requires a turbo pedestal, uppipes, and more it is a wash.

Top Bottom