Your opinion on the 50 post rule or become a Site Supporter for Classifieds Access

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Are you ok with the current classifieds set up? 50 posts or Site Supporter

• Total voters

Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    I can live with it either way. I didn't join for the ads. I did have a little problem when I couldn't answer a pm from another member because I was less than 50 posts. I had about 45 and he figured out who I was and pm'd me to confirm it. I had to come up with the 5 posts so I could answer him. It wasn't really hard to get 5 posts with some quality. Since that time I have learned to know more members personally and online. Only have made one sale and one purchase through the ads. My posts may have gone down in quality because now I know people enough to kid around and have fun.
    (see the title under my name;))

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    not quite sure i know how i feel here. i actually probably had about 150-200 posts before i realized there was a classified section. and as you can see by my post count compared to my join date, im not a big talker either. i do a lot of just reading.

by requiring 50 posts as we do now... does that add useless or unrelated posts to otherwise good threads?

by not having any requirements, are you guys worried that the classifieds would be flooded all of a sudden by people who are not private sellers or members of the discussion groups or just not honest people?

to that... people can simply choose not to deal with sellers/buyers with low post counts. or maybe a clearer feedback system like ebay. i know we have some kind of transaction feedback system but you have to dig for it, its not right next to there user name.

or also a possibility would be, having no requirements (monetary or otherwise) to be able to use the classifieds, BUT you are only allowed so many listings per month in the classifieds (a low number) which would flush out dealers and limit it to private sellers.

or in addition, they can pay so much per month to have the listings per month be unlimited to help pay for the site if it is a dealer. no contract or anything so even if a private seller wants to go over just once, he can.

i have not voted yet in the survey but i guess i should vote no :)

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I voted yes. I have never had a problem with a transaction with another INGO member. I believe that has a lot to do with the rules being what they are. The forum needs the input of the members, and I believe that the current set of rules encourages participation. Once the 50 post requirement is met, it is easy to continue posting and participating. This is a community, not marketplace. In order to keep the community vibrant participation should be encouraged.

slimplmbr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield
    snip make it only site supporters.

This^ I believe if you want to help make INGO better and get it back to where the good deals go to members, make a contribution to help the site out. I understand that people with knowledge and services to offer help make this site a great site, but that doesn't pay the bills. I don't think people who are just joining the site to get into the classifieds will be willing to pony up the $10, but members who want to contribute and be a part of the INGO community will. I mean businesses are required to pay to operate on INGO ($75 a month I think), I think as individuals $10 a year is not asking too much to be able to use a valuable service here and help keep the site running. I also believe that this will help cut down on people just being post whores to get into the classifieds, also would help cut down mods workload trying to keep track of "quality posts". Thats my :twocents:.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Once again I'm looking for how YOU WOULD SET UP the classifieds. I'M SHOUTING.

Tell us how you would do it. Examples:

I would set it up so that it is for site supporters only

I would set up so you must be here for 3 months before you can have access

It's really easy to go off about everything else but what will help INGO is if you tell us exactly how you would improve it by telling us what YOU would do.

Early results are showing that the current procedure works well for the majority of voters by a wide margin.

Thank you for the feedback so far.

What I'm looking for here is how YOU would set up the classifieds.

Examples:

I would set it up so that there are no restrictions.

I would set it up so that you must have a post count of 10 or more and that is the only stipulation.

etc

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I like it the way it is. Of course I'm not here for the classifieds.
    But I think the 15 post count toward being able to PM should not change. There's a lot of guys who wanted/needed to PM that couldn't, and it didn't have anything to do with the classifieds.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I'd rather it be 50 posts for access to classifieds AND pm's. I don't think too many people really buy into Site Supporter status just for access to the classifieds.

If throwing out the $10 buy-in isnt going to happen, then I'm fine with the way it is run now.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Go back to post count of ten if a post count requirement is kept. But I would also REALLY like to see the rep system canceled and a itrader system instead. Some way to get feedback on the personal profile would be great. Scratch that... it would be freaking awesome.

Also all the useless comments in the forum making fun of some random dude who is trying to get his 50 posts is really annoying. I feel like its just bullying the new guys who may or may not be here for just the adds and end up leaving.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I whined about the 50 post count thing when it was instituted right after I joined. Now that I am safely beyond that number I don't have a problem with it!:laugh:

Seriously though I think you should either have a specified number of posts or none at all. Being able to buy your way in somehow doesn't feel right. I'm not privy to the reasoning behind initiating the requirement other than to prevent this from becoming a free classified section for whomever it pleases. Please don't let it turn into "Hoosier Topics", although the bickering on there at times can be entertaining.

Keep the 50 post ban, no buy in. REQUIRE members to pay $10/year once they hit XX posts.

I'm going to go hide now!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Disclaimer: I could give a hoot about the classifieds for me personally.

I think the standards are fine. I've been a member of another board that required 300 posts and 6 months of membership just to post in some "special" forums of the site. In comparison, INGO's requirements seem tame...and quite reasonable.

I do have a question though: would it be that bad if the classifieds were open without participation requirements?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Actually, I'm liking the idea of only letting Site Supporters have access to the classifieds. It's nice to buy and sell to members you know and like.
    It could be another benefit to being a Site Supporter.

Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    If you are going to drop the 50 post rule I kinda like the idea of Site Supporters only. if it isn't worth $10 to them We don't need them in the ads. But if that change is made you may want to drop the PM requirement. Let anyone use them... or maybe only 10 posts. I'm not sure how the software works so don't really know what is practical

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Once again I'm looking for how YOU WOULD SET UP the classifieds. I'M SHOUTING.

Tell us how you would do it. Examples:

I would set it up so that it is for site supporters only

I would set up so you must be here for 3 months before you can have access

It's really easy to go off about everything else but what will help INGO is if you tell us exactly how you would improve it by telling us what YOU would do.

Early results are showing that the current procedure works well for the majority of voters by a wide margin.

Stop shouting, you're spitting all over us.:):

If it were up to me, I'd make it 50-100 posts AND 3 months of membership or become a site supporter.

(please don't forget about my 50 posts before PMs suggestion too)

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    I voted no simply because the many self appointed 50 post nannies are more annoying than those who show up only to use the classifieds.

I think the mods' jobs would be 10 times easier if the 50 post rule were lifted, bandwidth usage would go down as we wouldn't have all the useless posts from new members or the useless posts from the nannies calling them out on it. If the seller doesn't want to sell to a noon, he can choose not to. What's so hard about that?

Couldnt say it any better ....

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    I'm questioning myself as I write this, but here it goes.:):

I would have no problem with the classifieds being a site supporter privilege only. I originally joined to use the classifieds, but have since enjoyed the posting and taking in the knowledge of other members. As soon as I have some cash I will become a site supporter. Although I still don't post a lot, I enjoying sharing the small amount of knowledge I do have and and learning from other members. $10 is a small price to pay for the great deals that can be found in the classifieds.:ingo:

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I've never used the classifieds so I feel a little funny commenting on them. I personally see nothing wrong with the 50 post/supporter rule unless there has been problems. I am a stern believer in the "if it's not broke, then don't fix it" rule.

n3v3rtrstamor0n

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2010
    well im new and to be honest i dont care about the rules for classifieds.i do like to look at the over priced guns but i only came to enjoy some knowledge.other then that rock on with your rules i want some knowledge on alot of interesting things on the site..
    so i said yes i agree.well let me say it this way its not my site...:ar15::patriot:

Top Bottom