• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    biggest issue with ARs in 7.62x39 are magazine feeding issues, and bolt failures. You can fix the magazine issue with the right lower, but you can't fix the bolt issue with a standard sized AR15 sized rifle. This is why the CMMG mutant came along. Takes AK mags, and uses the AR10 sized receiver so you can upsize the bolt and eliminate the problems there.

AKs in 5.56 do work, and countries out there currently use them.

oh, and don't leave out my favorite, AK74 ie 5.45x39 ;)

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Unless you are going for a Galil or a rifle that comes standard in 5.56mm (and the headaches of finding parts/accessories for it), I would go with the Arsenal SLR-104 or VEPR 5.45 if you want a small caliber AK carbine.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I have an Arsenal 106FR, it has been 100% reliable, I do think there was a batch of them that got out that had some issues. Mine is a full sized rifle. I think some of them that were sold as pistols had issues as well.
    I also have a Valmet M-76 which has yet to be mentioned, another outstanding rifle, but expensive, and mags are even more expensive than Galil mags.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    problem with galils (IMO) - if you want a factory build rifle they aren't cheap, and your other option is a kit build, which is OK, but I would always prefer a factory build.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    problem with galils (IMO) - if you want a factory build rifle they aren't cheap, and your other option is a kit build, which is OK, but I would always prefer a factory build.
    Galil's are not easy builds i know first hand they may borrow the operating system of a AK but they are nothing alike.... After a nightmare Ohio rapid fire build (pure junk receivers should be considered unsafe!!!) (mine blew up due too expanding headspace from soft bolt lugs) ended up building on a CNC warrior receiver but not before destroying a real SAR barrel and galil bolt (very costly parts)..... These require the barrel to be timed, torqued, and clocked properly and headspace nothing like a ak pattern rifle bolt action do-able but requires a good amount of skill and knowledge

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Man, there's a lot of haters.

Here's a good reason to own an AK in 5.56 - it's not an AR.

There are plenty of high quality AK's in 5.56, most notably the Polish Beryl made by Radom. After Poland joined NATO, they switched and the result was a superb rifle with integrated optics rail. As far as reliability, it's still piston driven, which IMHO, is a big plus.

post-1-1209988637.jpg

68324_640.jpg

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Someone above mentioned a SIG 556, which could be a option if you can find a good one. I lucked out and found a good, used pistol a couple of years ago that I converted into a SBR, but SIG did have some quality issues on these guns.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Someone above mentioned a SIG 556, which could be a option if you can find a good one. I lucked out and found a good, used pistol a couple of years ago that I converted into a SBR, but SIG did have some quality issues on these guns.
    First Gen Sig 556's and 556R's sucked monkey balls! I'm not sure the Gen2 serial numbers range, but all the Gen1 problems were addressed and corrected. More of the same, rush it to market, and let the users figure out the QC issues.

snowman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Bremen, IN
    Don't scare away from 5.56 AKs, I've never had a problem with them. I have a Polish Beryl, M85 SBR, and a Saiga from Definitive Arms that is converted to take Ar mags. All of them run great.

Get want you want, and shoot it!!!

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Well I have done some research and got to thinking. Maybe this is not a good idea but the thought of a Galil is awesome and Rural King has them in stock. I read about the Polish ones and that would be ideal I think. I bought an AK magazine and have been readings and in summary I think I will get an AK-47 but in 7.62.

Couple of reasons, an AK74 would be closer to my AR but the 47 would be more of a punch than my AR.

So I went digging and came up with the following,

At these prices, I can afford to get another caliber.

So I started looking back at Century Arms and I want a quality gin but not a stupid expensive one. I am thinking a C39V2.

But I am really ignorant on these....prices seem high for something that is comparable to an AR that I can get for $500-$600

I am looking and Rural King has these,

Century Arms WASR-10 7.62X39 AK-47 Semi Automatic Rifle

Century Arms RAS47 7.62X39 AK-47 Semi-Automatic Rifle RI2403N

Rifles : RK Guns

I know not the real difference. I do however know that I can get 1000 rounds of ammo for $200 so I will get the new Caliber I guess.

So, does someone have a 2 or 3 page link that would explain the AK platform and with review of units in the $600-$700 Range?

Thanks -

I guess my Mosin's need company..

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    PS - Is Century Arms a good brand?

No

IO Inc?

Hell No

A decent AK will probably cost you more than a decent AR. That's somewhat of a shocker to some folks, but there are several reasons for it.

1) The better AK's are imported.
    2) They are more labor intensive to build.
    3) (In the US) the AR market is flooded, the quality AK market is not.

This is the best bang for buck AK available, without question:
    Arsenal SLR-107R 7.62x39...
    If you seriously want to get into the AK platform and it's within your budget, I would send them an email to be put on the waiting list for the next batch (which is due any minute).

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Interesting. That is a nice looking gun.

I really feel ignorant in a sense because I am reading a review on the Century Arms C39V2, the all American AK and it has good reviews but that is what magazines are paid to do.

You know the stamped receiver vs the Milled one. The milled one sure seems like it would be better built to tighter tolerances.

I guess I need to be very careful, as I only want one and I want to be able to compare to my ARs. I have a good selection in that a Eagle Arms vs S&W MP, vs SR556 of course the SR wins but it was costly.

$800 is not out of the realm here but I really want to know what I am doing,

I get the IO are junk, you are the 2nd confirmation on that.

So what is the issue with Century Arms? Ras47 vs Wasr vs C39. I just do not understand the difference.

Buds gun shop has a few of these in-stock so to speak...

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I have been watching and reading a lot.
    Arsenal AKs have a good rep, but the C39V2 from Century seems to be a winner, not a bad review that I can find.

The thing that grabs me is it is 100% American made and a milled receiver to boot.........that is a plus for me. Back to the reviews...but I am leaning that way...

Edit : IOs are crap I can see why the reaction above...

Top Bottom