• ...and so much more!
  • edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    DO NOT BUY A USA MADE AK RIFLE

They are not even worth discussing at this point. Arsenal, Vepr, Saiga, WASR, SAR 1, Chinese......this is what you want.

Can you tell me why? The information on this gun is that it is well made and a good shooter. The downside is the parts are not all compatible with the imports etc. I see that as not a big issue as I have SR556 with the same issues.

I can get this one for around $750-800.

The WASR is $700 and a crapshoot from what I can tell, The Arsenal is $1000 or better, Chinese (not going to happen), Saiga (Russian milled receiver ones around $1000), and I am not familar with the vepr as of yet.

I would like to get a Polish or Bulgarian but I have not found them in the price range.

Sportsman's Guide, Buds, CDDN, or Rural King....looked at them all..

I have watched enough videos to know that CIA guns have a reputation but I can not find a bad review on this particular model the V2.

So why would I not want a US made AK? I am not trying to be an arse, I just plain do not know why not?

knutty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Noblesville
    Off the top of my head.

Bad heat treat, subpar materials, bad rivet work, junk wood, out of spec parts.

Don't give up on a Chinese rifle, Mak90s can still be found for $800 or less.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    This is the best bang for buck AK available, without question:
    Arsenal SLR-107R 7.62x39...
    If you seriously want to get into the AK platform and it's within your budget, I would send them an email to be put on the waiting list for the next batch (which is due any minute).

Can you tell me why? The information on this gun is that it is well made and a good shooter. The downside is the parts are not all compatible with the imports etc. I see that as not a big issue as I have SR556 with the same issues.

I can get this one for around $750-800.

The WASR is $700 and a crapshoot from what I can tell, The Arsenal is $1000 or better, Chinese (not going to happen), Saiga (Russian milled receiver ones around $1000), and I am not familar with the vepr as of yet.

I would like to get a Polish or Bulgarian but I have not found them in the price range.

Sportsman's Guide, Buds, CDDN, or Rural King....looked at them all..

I have watched enough videos to know that CIA guns have a reputation but I can not find a bad review on this particular model the V2.

So why would I not want a US made AK? I am not trying to be an arse, I just plain do not know why not?

You are welcome to buy whatever you like, but the Bulgarian made Arsenal I linked is not "$1000 or better", and is almost the same price as a Century. Comparing the two is like a Corvette VS Chevette. With the Arsenal, you are buying a battle proven product, with superior materials and craftsmanship. There is simply not a better product out there in this same price range. If you can't find a negative review on the Century C39, I don't think you are looking hard enough. Tons of folks reporting soft bolts and parts wearing prematurely. Not to mention, the company has always treated their customers like ****, and have a legendary reputation for terrible customer service. I would love to see an American made AK that is on par with foreign ones, but we aren't there yet. And when we are, I highly doubt it will be from Century.
    And keep in mind, there are zero advantages to a milled gun over a stamped. Zero. Many of the top firearm manufactures in the world use stamped receivers, such as HK. The AK was always designed to be stamped, and the Russians haven't made milled ones since 1959. They are lighter, keep cooler, and are easier to find furniture for. You made mention of tighter tolerances with a milled receiver. That really isn't the case though. And even if it was, loose tolerances are one of the very reasons the AK is so reliable.
    Also, Saiga's are stamped, not milled

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Just FYI, the WASR is marked "Century" but they are only the importer, they are still made in Romania. IMO if you can look at a WASR *BEFORE* you buy it, and make sure the sights are straight, the rivets look good, and the mag opening looks good, then they are a fine AK for most folks.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    I've had no problems with my C39v2 and am contemplating a second one to get the integrated side rail (though my existing one shoots fine with the irons, so . . . I don't know).

indyguy333

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2015
    Huntington
    With an Arsenal you are getting a rifle made in a real war factory. You can't beat an Arsenal or VEPR -- both Bulgaria and Russia have decades of experience building these things. It's like buying a Colt vs a S&W or Ruger if you want an AR-15.

indyguy333

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2015
    Huntington
    Um, they have been for years.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long-guns/222069-polish-archer-ak-beryl-review.html

Note, that since that video, the import quirks have been eliminated. The current batch includes three rivets and gen II selector switch.

not anymore. Royal Tiger (IO) claims to have sold their last and won't be importing more.

the polish company is trying to setup shop in the US but the ATF is giving them a very difficult time (Rob Ski interviewed them at SHOT show, he has a video about it)

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    You are welcome to buy whatever you like, but the Bulgarian made Arsenal I linked is not "$1000 or better", and is almost the same price as a Century. Comparing the two is like a Corvette VS Chevette. With the Arsenal, you are buying a battle proven product, with superior materials and craftsmanship. There is simply not a better product out there in this same price range.

Can you give me a link for one? The best price I found for the C39V2 is about $750.

https://www.preppergunshop.com/century-arms-c39v2-ak-rifle-with-scope-rail

Here is the list of Arsenal ones, of course out of stock (Says a lot I guess)

https://www.preppergunshop.com/rifles/ak/shopby/manufacturer--arsenal/caliber--7-62x39mm

I am looking but can not find one in that price range,

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/ak-47-74-rifles/arsenal.html

If you can't find a negative review on the Century C39, I don't think you are looking hard enough. Tons of folks reporting soft bolts and parts wearing prematurely. Not to mention, the company has always treated their customers like ****, and have a legendary reputation for terrible customer service.

Well I have read about 10 and watched at least 15 videos. I know there were issues with the V1, but I can not seem to get a "it crap" so if you can link me one I would be appreciative. I have a couple of days yet so I will use it wisely.

I would love to see an American made AK that is on par with foreign ones, but we aren't there yet. And when we are, I highly doubt it will be from Century. And keep in mind, there are zero advantages to a milled gun over a stamped. Zero. Many of the top firearm manufactures in the world use stamped receivers, such as HK. The AK was always designed to be stamped, and the Russians haven't made milled ones since 1959. They are lighter, keep cooler, and are easier to find furniture for. You made mention of tighter tolerances with a milled receiver. That really isn't the case though. And even if it was, loose tolerances are one of the very reasons the AK is so reliable.
    Also, Saiga's are stamped, not milled

Interesting, the milled receiver is one of the points I liked and the scope mount with it..

I guess I am not 100% decided yet.

Last edited:

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    With an Arsenal you are getting a rifle made in a real war factory. You can't beat an Arsenal or VEPR -- both Bulgaria and Russia have decades of experience building these things. It's like buying a Colt vs a S&W or Ruger if you want an AR-15.

I love my SR556 and my S&W M&P, Colts I know are good but up to $400 more good?

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    not anymore. Royal Tiger (IO) claims to have sold their last and won't be importing more.

the polish company is trying to setup shop in the US but the ATF is giving them a very difficult time (Rob Ski interviewed them at SHOT show, he has a video about it)

Hopefully the new CiC will solve that.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Now I am more confused than ever........

Yugo, Polish, Romanian, Bulgarian, Russian....and on and on

The one thing I am sure of is, do NOT get an IO, not one good word there...

Seems the C39V2 is a crap-shoot, Quality control at the factory with some heat treating issues maybe...Most of the comments are from 6 months ago.....

Paid shills.....You Tube Payoffs.......One thing is I am better educated that is for sure...

MAC was the best of the Videos for me.......

*** More research to go *****

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Can you give me a link for one? The best price I found for the C39V2 is about $750.

Here is the list of Arsenal ones, of course out of stock (Says a lot I guess)

https://www.preppergunshop.com/rifles/ak/shopby/manufacturer--arsenal/caliber--7-62x39mm

I am looking but can not find one in that price range,

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/ak-47-74-rifles/arsenal.html

Well I have read about 10 and watched at least 15 videos. I know there were issues with the V1, but I can not seem to get a "it crap" so if you can link me one I would be appreciative. I have a couple of days yet so I will use it wisely.

Interesting, the milled receiver is one of the points I liked and the scope mount with it..

I guess I am not 100% decided yet.

At the moment, the only place that you are will probably find that rifle for $850 is KVAR.
    Arsenal SLR-107R 7.62x39...
    They have direct ties with Arsenal Las Vegas and Arsenal Bulgaria. That model hasn't been out very long, so they sell out about as quick as KVAR can get them. KVAR is taking pre-orders though, just send them an email. The difference between that model and the ones in the Atlantic firearms link you posted is the stock. The SLR107R has a fixed stock, and the SLR107FR has a series 100 folder (polymer or steel triangle).

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Well I have spent the evening and came across a DDI. I am not sure about these. I however did notice that many hate CIA guns but many do not. If I had to make my purchase tonight it would be the C39V2. I mean my odds are better with it than a WASR I would think.

I think prices will be dropping soon anyway...That C39V2 will be $730 to the store, with FFL so with tax around $775. That is a lot. Maybe I should wait.

I have learned to NOT get an I/O - even more hated than any other..

Hopefully can join the AK forum and get some leads on something more to my budget.

Found this buy know nothing about it,

Yugo Zastava - N-PAP AK47 Style Rifle , Semi-automatic 762X39 for $599 (seems like a fair deal)

https://www.slickguns.com/product/ak47-yugo-zastava-n-pap-rifle-free-battle-pack-59999

npap-(1-of-11).gif

Read a review,

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/05/james-grant/gun-review-zastava-n-pap-ak-47/

Last edited:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Any Century build rifle would be the last thing I would buy. The WASR is not a century build, and I would buy the WASR over the NPAP/OPAP only because of the Serbian (formerly Yugo) rifles taking oddball parts from all other manufactures.

For me Arsenal >= VEPR > WASR > NPAP/OPAP > anything US made > anything century made > anything IO made

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    So the WASR over the C39V2 then?

new_wasr.jpg

https://www.preppergunshop.com/cent...10-ak47-rifle-7-62x39mm-wood-stock-1-30rd-mag

Vs

ri2398-n.jpg

Same Price..

I am trying to understand as the reviews show the C39V2 to be as good as a WASR. If I understand the WASR is Romanian and the C39V2 is US made.

I fully understand the apprehension folks have with CIA built guns. I have read it time and time again. However, on this new one I am not hearing that so much.

The MAC channel on you Tube had a great review and the fella seems to know what he is talking about..

[video=youtube;4w3PibNhNgo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w3PibNhNgo[/video]

I am just not understadning this unless so many have been burned over the years they can never be positive about CIA. Granted I admit I am ignorant on this subject but that is why I am asking. I keep being told no, but not the why's on this particular rifle.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    OP cannot be helped

Go ahead and buy the Century, it's your money.

Yes I can not be helped because I am not listening correct? I am asking specifically about this particular rifle. Just telling me no is not really that fair. What about this rifle is so bad? Is it just the distrust of Century Arms?

Thanks for the detailed whys...

As for the arsenals, yeah I would like to get one but they are $1000 if you can find one.

https://www.preppergunshop.com/rifles/ak/shopby/manufacturer--arsenal

Same for the VEPRs...

https://www.slickguns.com/search/apachesolr_search/VEPR+AK47

The extra $300 in an AR would make a heck of a difference also would it not?

So y'all would pick the WASR over the C39V2. At least I know the position.

Top Bottom