• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • knutty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Noblesville
    Numerous people in this thread have given you great advice. You are fixated on the Century gun, so just buy it. If you shoot more than 2k rounds through it, you need to pay close attention to headspace and check for abnormal wear and cracks or anything else out of the ordinary. This isn't a cheap hobby, be prepared to spend for quality or be prepared for junk.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Numerous people in this thread have given you great advice. You are fixated on the Century gun, so just buy it. If you shoot more than 2k rounds through it, you need to pay close attention to headspace and check for abnormal wear and cracks or anything else out of the ordinary. This isn't a cheap hobby, be prepared to spend for quality or be prepared for junk.

Fair enough, I am still reading and these keep popping up,

- Arsenal
    - DDI (Destructive Devices Industries)
    - Definitive Arms

I think I found some DDI's in the similar price range.. I have just read too much bad stuff about the WASRs. If I am spending $750, I want the best I can get in that price range.

I am not trying to be an arse.

I just can not post on the AK forums.....I have been here for years and never saw the need.

Does anyone know anything about them?

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Just to be clear, this is a big purchase so as an engineer I like to get as much info as I can......

Some of the info in these threads lead me to believe that the C39 either V1 or V2 are fine and just as good as a WASR.....but I am no expert.

Ak quality - any experience with current crop?

Nutnfancy: C39v2 the new golden standard? - The AK Files Forums

NEW Century C39v2 and RAS47 - The AK Files Forums

Of course these are from 2015-2016..

Looking for newer ones..

It is called due diligence....I want to make a good choice..

Last edited:

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Yeah Yeah, you see I do understand the face palm. So I guess I better explain my position. You see if you go back far enough in my posts the High Point 9mm carbine comes up. Now there are those that laugh and giggle at it, but they have never shot it. Awesome Planet of the Apes gin it is, never had an issue with it. Yet many made fun of it. At the time it is all the $ I had for such a thing, yet it was a GREAT buy at $189. I love the thing.

So, what I am saying is I am cautious about the gun snob effect. I am not saying that is a fact in this case but I am aware of it being an issue in the past.

What I have learned and this board, INGO, made me look deeper which is why I come here. I know that Century as a crappy reputation and a well deserved one at that. So I read and research. In this particular case, the C39V2 has had some issues with 'soft' metal parts. All of these statements come from either 1Q or 2Q 2016. I am digging for more to see if it is still an issue. I did find one case where CIA replaced the whole rifle. The majority of what I read says it is ok, especially from ones who bought or own one. That being said I am still very cautious.

All I get is get a VEPR or an Arsenal. I would but I can not get one of those for $750 and that is about all I can afford at this time. Sure I have thought to wait and spend $1000, and that is still in the cards to some extent. The problem with that is it is an AK not an AR. I want a truck gin so to speak, one that I can drop in the mud and it will still work. I have never fired one and I just wanted one as something new. This C39 is the one I was leaning towards or one major reason. I am willing to pay an extra $200 for an American made one, American jobs and all. Sure, INGO made me go "all stop" on this until I have done my research.

In that ongoing research, many say it is a wonderful rifle. Then again they also say the WASR is one also, yet I read that is a crap shoot to some degree.

So I am torn, get your laughs but not one person has posted a link of an acceptable alternative for $750 that is in stock. Are all Century Rifles junk? Well there are a lot of folks that say no and a lot that say yes. I guess I will have to make a choice soon.

I am patiently waiting for my membership to the AK Files board to become active so I can post my question there, knowing full well the butt hurt is coming. Yet I am intrigued by some members comments there about this particular rifle. I do not take this purchase lightly and even though you might not believe me, I am appreciative of all the comments and suggestions given me here. $1000 rifle is not in my budget at this time, so I must look for something in my price range.

Edit ( those guys are brutal, maybe I should be happy I have not been approved. Apparently the C39 is a sore spot there. )

I have Mosins and Tokerovs, so this one can not be that bad, yet I do not want issues with it either. So take heed I have listened and learned but I have not had the decisive statement yet that has changed my mind. Although I have some doubt which is what you want to hear I am sure.

Thanks for all the comments folks and if I do buy it, I will be more than glad to post whether I hosed the decision or not.

Ed Singer

Last edited:

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Ok so 3 hours later I understand the hesitation with this gun. The question is poor metallurgy in the bolt and other parts. Same as RAS47....I am glad I have not pulled the trigger even though the price looks good.

The odd part is the reviews, none really are of the later manufactured versions. Did Century fix the issue?

......on to more reading but a pause in my purchase plans...

Will start a new thread as this has nothing to do with a 556 AK anymore. I need information.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    you might look at the new Arsenal SLR-107R. It's a fixed stock version, and it goes for $850. About the same price as a DDI and Vepr.

Top Bottom