Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Plinker

User Info Menu

Stretching out the .22lr - is 200yd and over possible

Everyone knows that .22ís are great for plinking. But after a while you start to test your skills and equipment by taking longer shots.

One day at the range a friend told me that my 10/22, or maybe it was me, couldnít shoot at the 200yd line. I took it as a challenge and started to practice. That quickly made me learn how to adjust the scope and get a beginners understanding of MOA.
    That summer I also tried multiple types of ammo and fell in love with CCI Standard Velocity ammo. Itís not as fast as others but it is very consistent even at longer distances.
    Iíve been able to stretch it out to 230 yds and hit a 6Ē mark 15 out of 25 shots. I feel accomplished because of what I had learned along the way. Now I find myself looking for a bolt action to increase accuracy and see just how far I could shoot with at least a 80% hit rate. At least that seems like something that would challenge me and be frustrating yet rewarding once achieved.

Curious, what is the farthest you think a great 22 will shoot consistently? How far have you practiced at and what did you do to improve?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Midnight Rider

User Info Menu

-----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and Iím on to the next one...
    -----------------------------------------------

Plinker

User Info Menu

That's some good shooting, I personally have only tried my ruger 10/22 out to 100 yards now I'm going to have to try it and see

User Info Menu

It depends on what you consider "consistent". I can tell you that with wolf match out of my CZ 452, I have 202 MOA of drop at 700 yards. Longer range rimfire (300-400 yards) is the best pratice you can get. Shooting a 22 at 400 yards is more dificult than a 6.5 creedmoor at 100 for sure.
    "You don't have to spend a fortune to play the game, but you do have to spend your money wisely"

owner/ operator of www.aaoptics.com

full line vortex dealer

contact me at alan@aaoptics.com

User Info Menu

Technically it's as consistent farther out as it is closer up but the absolute spread is greater because geometry. That being said, downrange ballistics will play a bigger part (wind, drag/drop). 200yds is good but there are others (like Alan) that push farther. after a certain skill level (and equipment) centerfire under 200 is like cheating, LR .22lr stays challenging.

User Info Menu

It's very popular out west.

The gear isn't cheap. And the ammo a lot of the elr rimfire guys use is pretty similar in price to reloaded centerfire. But it's a lot more fun to spend a day behind a 22 than a typical precision rifle.

If you want to start spending money...

https://vudoogunworks.com/rifles/apparition/

https://www.area419.com/product-cate...ready-to-ship/

Master

User Info Menu

You can also drop your target size to 1" at 100 yards to increase the challenge.

JHB
    Marksman

User Info Menu

(But it's a lot more fun to spend a day behind a 22 than a typical precision rifle.)

That is the truth. The older you get the more you will appreciate the soft recoil.

Plinker

User Info Menu

you hit the mail on the head. Working towards shooting the longer distances will force me to learn those aspects that are unknown to me now. Like downrange ballistics lol.

Thatís why I enjoy it so much. Plus, itís so affordable to really take as many shots as you want or need to.

I do feel that Iím at my limits with a semi-auto and will need to get a bolt action. At least thatís the justification Iíve came up with to buy another one🙂. So far Iím really seeing The CZ 452/457MTR or an Anschutz<sp> would be good bolt actions to use. Are there any others out there, under $1000, that are as accurate ?

Quote Originally Posted by russc2542 View Post
    Technically it's as consistent farther out as it is closer up but the absolute spread is greater because geometry. That being said, downrange ballistics will play a bigger part (wind, drag/drop). 200yds is good but there are others (like Alan) that push farther. after a certain skill level (and equipment) centerfire under 200 is like cheating, LR .22lr stays challenging.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triton View Post
    you hit the mail on the head. Working towards shooting the longer distances will force me to learn those aspects that are unknown to me now. Like downrange ballistics lol.

Thatís why I enjoy it so much. Plus, itís so affordable to really take as many shots as you want or need to.

I do feel that Iím at my limits with a semi-auto and will need to get a bolt action. At least thatís the justification Iíve came up with to buy another one🙂. So far Iím really seeing The CZ 452/457MTR or an Anschutz<sp> would be good bolt actions to use. Are there any others out there, under $1000, that are as accurate ?
    Ruger american target, ruger precision rimfire are both very capable

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast